FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fantasy films that don't feel like fantasy films...

Author Topic: Fantasy films that don't feel like fantasy films...
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I watched The Secret of Roan Inish today. Hadn't seen it since it was in the theaters more than a decade ago.

Once again, I was enthralled. During the movie, it never occurs to me to note that Selkies are fantastical creatures...that the whole plot is impossible...or in the very least extremely unlikely.

Yet, it feels so natural, during the film. There's never a "We're not in Kansas anymore" moment.

Fantasy films of this type are extremely rare. In fact, it's the only example I can think of off the top of my head.

Are there any others?

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
Legend
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I assume you're joking, B34n. Heh, heh.

The film that I can think of that was a fantasy film, but the audience didn't know it until right till the end is Angel Heart. So, actually, that probably doesn't fit.

You want to know about films that are fantasy but don't feel like it? Hmmm. Big? Lady in the Water didn't really have a fantasy feel to it, I think.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
In The Village you start out thinking it's a fantasy film, and come to realize that it's just crap. Oh, I guess that's like the opposite of what you're looking for. [Frown]

IPAX maybe.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Roan Inish in the cinema and really enjoyed it. I guess we have similar taste in movies.

Did you see March of the Penguins? The movie is so realistically made that just a few minutes into it you forget that there ARE no such things as real penguins. The movie had me convinced (at least while I was in the theater) that those mythical flightless birds known as "penguins" were real.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait - huh? What about penguins?
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing. They are just make-believe.

I did enjoy the "documentary" about dragons on the SciFi channel last year. I think that fits your category, Puffy.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

quote:
Originally posted by Storm Saxon:
I assume you're joking, B34n. Heh, heh.

The film that I can think of that was a fantasy film, but the audience didn't know it until right till the end is Angel Heart. So, actually, that probably doesn't fit.

You want to know about films that are fantasy but don't feel like it? Hmmm. Big? Lady in the Water didn't really have a fantasy feel to it, I think.

** Edited cause I have typing issues - Thanks cmc **

** And edited again cause I obviously don't know what I'm doing **

Actually I was kind of serious. I guess my definition of Fantasy Film doesn't fit correctly then. Help me out with what you qualify as a fantasy film and I might know of one.

[ September 03, 2006, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: B34N ]

Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

I am SO confused right now... (edit: about the penguins)

[ September 03, 2006, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: cmc ]

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante wings the thread.

--Enigmatic [ROFL]

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

B34N, he wanted fantasy films that didn't feel like fantasy films. What part of Legend didn't feel like a fantasy film to you? The unicorn? The demonic antagonist? The fey creatures? [Smile]

It's a lovely film, don't get me wrong, just not one that I would say anyone could mistake for not being fantasy.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

Ooops, completely misunderstood. Thought he was looking for fantasy films not fanasty films that weren't fantasy films.

See I told you I didn't know what I was doing.

cmc
Member # 9549

Sorry to sort of take this down a different road, I'll start a new thread if anyone wants me to, but what do you MEAN penguins aren't real?? I've seen them in real life before??
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

You see what they want you to see.
B34N
Member # 9597

I saw them at Sea World every weekend for years. They're real! Unless of course...
cmc
Member # 9549

'they' penguins or 'they' ? ?
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, you know what else are real? Invisible pink unicorns. Well, I guess we don't know that they're pink, but they're clearly invisible. I mean, I've never seen one.
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

Oh, and Ladyhawk. And The Last Unicorn, except for the bit where it's anime. But they way the story is told, and the characters are presented, there's no real sense of unreality. Everything just *is*.
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

They
cmc
Member # 9549

THAT IS NOT A PENGUIN, Storm Saxon. It's a cruelly altered one. *humph*
B34N
Member # 9597

That's a puffer fish on crack!

** Edit **

hey has anyone ate a puffer fish I hear there really good but very deadly if cooked wrong or whatever.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

That's what they all say, cmc, until 'they' eat your brain.
cmc
Member # 9549

Honestly - is there some sort of origin for this train of penguin thought or is it just this thread?
Samarkand
Member # 8379

Do you think penguins hum to themselves while they walk? Because it looks like they are. "Dum de dum dee doo de dum."
B34N
Member # 9597

quote:
Originally posted by Samarkand:
Do you think penguins hum to themselves while they walk? Because it looks like they are. "Dum de dum dee doo de dum."

*giggles*

I bet they sing Kid Rock "I wanna be a cowboy" except they change "cowboy" to puffer fish.

*humming to himself*

"I wanna be a puffer fish baby, with snow drift back and the sunshine shining puffer fish baby..."

cmc
Member # 9549

I'm still wicked confused about the penguins.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Personally, I subscribe to "Scientific Penguinism".
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
If penguins aren't real who's been buying up all the tiny tuxedo's? Hmmmm?
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Elves.
B34N
Member # 9597

quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
Personally, I subscribe to "Scientific Penguinism".

I subscribe to playguins?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
*takes pity on cmc*

Tante's post was extremely funny where she pretened to not believe in penguins.

There's nothing more to the joke.

Really.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

Thank you, mr_porteiro_head!!

I was absolutely wondering what I was missing... I practically grew up at the NE Aquarium and those puppies are a staple there... I had no clue what was going on...

*gives mr_porteiro_head a huge, long distance high five for unperplexing her*

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you know that high fives cause cancer?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
*snort*

Thanks, cmc, that's the best entertainment I've had in a while. [ROFL]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

Ha Ha, mr_porteiro_head. *takes back high five and replaces with grumpy, scrunched-up-nose-and-eyes face*

No sweat, quidscribis, I aim to amuse... : )

Samarkand
Member # 8379

I thought elves wore acorn caps on their heads and rose petals for skirts with wee elm leaf tunics . . . I mean, c'mon, no artist would make THAT up. Acorn hats . . .
MightyCow
Member # 9253

I'm wearing an acorn hat right now. That is to say, the cow that I'm wearing on my head is wearing an acorn hat on his head, so it amounts to the same thing. [Big Grin]
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
that's not elves samarkand, that's fairies. elves wear pointy green hats and those cute shoes with the toes that curl up.

honestly.

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I loved The Secret of Roan Inish.

I can't think of any other films like that, but I can think of many books. Almost all are books aimed at children (though I still love them [Smile] ) - I wonder whether it's because the target audience has a capacity for wonder that means they can accept every day, non-fantastical fantasy.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

Cows wear acorn hats? *gasp* COWS ARE FAIRIES AND ELVES? This explains so much . . .
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

[ROFL]
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
It's official: I'm confused.

Here I thought I'd see a normal, non-violent discussion in here, and I'm hit with scientific penguins, mystical cows and funny hats.

I'll go crawl back in to my imaginary cave now, thanks.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

Sorry Nighthawk. Thank goodness I didn't tell you that the acorn hat my cow is wearing is wearing its own tiny penguin hat.
And, through some sort of quantum effect that I don't claim to understand, the penguin is actually wearing me as a hat. It's pretty confusing.

cmc
Member # 9549

Heh heh, MightyCow... : )
B34N
Member # 9597

An they're on a "Hatrack" - Ha Ha Ha Haaaa!
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess "Phenomenon" sort of fits into the category, depending on what you're willing to consider fantasy. Or maybe "Touch".
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I keep trying to think of movies that fit but I just can't! I can think of books... especially those by Sean Russel, but no movies.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Any time someone mentions Roan Inish, I immediately think of Into the West. It's another Irish flick, better known actors, with a similar feel.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Edit: So of course my brain translated "Into the West" as "Far and Away." Oops! *deletes post*
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.