FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Steve Irwin (The Crocodile Hunter) Is Dead (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Steve Irwin (The Crocodile Hunter) Is Dead
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently he just died today (Sept. 4th in the morning where he was).

Link.

Too bad, I liked his enthusiastic approach to nature television.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm speechless. I liked him a lot.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That's just so...unexpected that I halfway didn't believe it at first - I thought it had to be some bizarre rumor or prank.

I liked him a lot too. And this:
quote:
It is believed his American-born wife Terri is trekking on Cradle Mountain in Tasmania and is yet to be told of her husband's death.
is so sad. I really hope someone reaches her soon so she doesn't find out from some random headline. [Frown]
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, to put it quite bluntly, that really sucks. He was awesome. Actually, he still is awesome. I'm pretty bummed about this.
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Of all the things that could have killed him, a harmless stingray did him in? Freaky.

He was pretty endearing in his own special way, I have to admit. It's so sad for his wife and little kid--she won't even find out until she gets back from Tasmania, according to that article. That would be awful.

The article linked to a really nice obituary.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

For what it's worth, CNN reports his family has been notified.
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. He was one of those guys you were always saying something like this would happen to, but never actually thought it would.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry]
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
My entire family used to watch his show before switching channels to watch Iron Chef, Sunday nights. [Frown]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor guy, and his poor family.

I think he'd have been an awesome dad if had time to impart his enthusiasm and zest for life on his son.

We can say though, that he lived life to the fullest, and he was out there chasing his dreams all around the world. [Frown]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, this is the crappiest news ever. I cannot believe this. I loved Steve Irwin. [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
This is really weird - it does seem so unbelievable.

The news here is saying that the police have contacted his wife.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
That obit is nice.

I liked him, too. [Frown]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
I know it doesn't make up for anything, but at least he died while doing what he loved to do.
I liked the way his enthusiasm could interest you in whatever subject he was talking about.

I shall miss his presence. [Frown]

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
He was a neverending fountain of cheer, and he will be sorely missed.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't believe it when I saw it, but the first thing I thought is, "I hope at least he died wrastling with a crock or something." Pretty close.

[Frown]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm gonna miss that man.

How many people can say they immortalized a phrase? Irwin did it at least twice. If I hear "crocodile hunter" or "Croikey!" I know who I think of.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel so bad for his kids.

And sorry that he didn't stop the extreme risk-taking behaviors and have a lot more time with them.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, but for all the "I can't believe this happened" responses on this thread, I just gotta say my first reaction was: "Well we all knew this was gonna happen!"

The guy took risks. He obviously worked very hard both to educate the world about various creatures and habitats, and also to help preserve those creatures and habitats. Those are valuable endeavors. But for all the "don't do this at home" kind of stunts he pulled, you just knew one of them was going to get him.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Well KQ, any way you slice it, his eventuall death was going to be called ironic. If he had died a natural death, then people would have commented on it the same way they'll blame him for dying doing what made him special. Its pretty sad, but its the cookie he chose to crumble for himself. [Frown]

Edit: and not that I was dying to be the first to hint that he had it coming, because nobody has it coming no matter what, in my opinion.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm sorry, but for all the "I can't believe this happened" responses on this thread, I just gotta say my first reaction was: "Well we all knew this was gonna happen!"
Death by stingray is a freak accident, whether you are Steve Irwin or Just Some Guy. It's nearly impossible to get killed by a stingray.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Arnold:

The guy took risks. He obviously worked very hard both to educate the world about various creatures and habitats, and also to help preserve those creatures and habitats. Those are valuable endeavors. But for all the "don't do this at home" kind of stunts he pulled, you just knew one of them was going to get him.

My thoughts exactly. I wish it hadn't happened, but I'm hardly surprised.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
A drink for the man who did the impossible! Dying while doing something you love, that's gotta count for something. And no, I'm not being sarcastic about this. [Hail]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
So it's not the general category of freak accident that's surprising, but the specific category of freak accident?

Just Some Guy doesn't go around pulling crocodiles' tails. For that matter, Irwin was so used to pulling crocodile tails that it was pretty safe.. for him. But in addition to working with crocs and any other dangerous animal that may have become routine for him, he also went out of his way to deal with increasingly exotic and dangerous species.

As far as how dangerous stingrays are, I remember reading an article in National Geographic about fishing for Pirhannas in South America. The local fishermen waded around in the water with the pirhannas, which didn't really scare them. What scared them was the fresh water stingrays.

From reading up a little from the net, it sounds like stingrays have a real capacity for causing damage. The fact that he got hit in the chest rather than the leg is probably all it took to kill him.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I've swum in the ocean with stingrays, petted them, and fed them. The biggest danger is if you acidentally step on one, because they blend with the ground, and get stung--in the leg. A barb going into someone's chest (and heart, apparently) is pretty dang unheard of.

(Now, I'd never encountered freshwater stingrays; I don't know if they're more dangerous or something.)

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the articles at Yahoo News said Steve is only the third known stingray fatality in Australia.

I plan on donating to his wildlife fund at Wildlife Warriors once the traffic dies down and I can load the page.

RIP, Steveo.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
His death is the third ever stingray death in Australia.

I'd say that ranks as a freak accident.

(And by that token, swimming with sting rays is a lot less extreme risk-taking then say, driving a car down a freeway.)

{Edit - yeah, or what Avidreader said. [Smile] Also, I don't know if there is any difference between salt or freshwater stingrays - but this was in the ocean, so would have been saltwater.)

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
I feel so bad for his kids.

And sorry that he didn't stop the extreme risk-taking behaviors and have a lot more time with them.

Thats pretty obtuse of you to say, Steve died filming a side project that he was doing WITH his daughter:

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,20349993-5001021,00.html

"This morning Steve decided to shoot a couple of segments for a new TV show that he's doing with his daughter Bindi, and with the cameramen went out onto the reef ... to film a segment on stingrays."

Doing a documentary on reefs is HARDLY one of his more life threatening endevours. Reading that he was "Gored to death" by a sting ray was just so impossible to me I had to read the specifics before I would believe it.

The chances of that sting ray rearing its sting at that moment and into that part of Steve is just very unlucky, how unlucky? I would say the chances are akin to a wasp flying up your nose, crawling its way up to your brain and chewing on brain tissue until your dead.

Reading this news really makes me sad, I will probably be thinking about Steve all day, but I'd like to think he is probably with his dad, and they both think it halarious that he went out that way. Honestly think about Steve telling you how he died, can you see him saying, "I can't believe I let that bloke get me like that, it just shows you that when you are with animals, they will try to defend themselves and you need to give them the distance and respect they deserve!"

Goodbye Steve, thanks for the good memories, and for bringing the world of animals to a new generation.

[ September 04, 2006, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

Well Said, BlackBlade.
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
Coud not have said it better, Blackblade. Bravo, bravo.
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Steve was a loon, in an amusing sort of way.

I remember one New Years' we were looking for something on TV to watch, and that was the only thing on. Watching him poke crocodiles with his bare hands and all, I remember joking "this is the type of guy that will hunt for great white sharks in the middle of the ocean, aboard a 4' aluminum dingy with a lump of meat the size of his leg."

Funny enough, two shows later in to the marathon, he did just that.

What's a bigger shame is that apparently the only footage the media can come up with is watching him dance his newborn child in front of a 10' crocodile. Give the guy some respect, will ya?

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
This might be freaky, but it was Steve Irwin who was chattering in the background the last time I saw my grandmother in the nursing home before she died. He's always been associated with really awful, depressing memories for me; several other lonely folks in the home were staring blankly has he yelled about crocodiles on TV. It was so surreal; I haven't been able to watch or listen to him since that day.

I'm sad for his family but this bizarre death somehow fits with my already distorted impressions of him.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
I've personally swum over wild stingrays, and believe me, cautious as I am, the possibility of one somehow managing to sting me in the chest and THROUGH the heart - I don't know if such an idea as ever ocurred to anyone before. Except maybe someone giving a speech on how harmless they are and being like, "Well, I suppose if one somehow managed to get you directly in the heart you might die, but that's never gonna happen."

And as to being more afraid of the stingrays, that may have been because getting stung results in a sincere, if temporary, desire for death. It HURTS. A little one got me on the foot on the Gulf Coast, and yowza.

Anyway, Steve Irwin did take a lot of risks, but the manner of death is pretty bizarre. I'll miss seeing him around, he loved life so much.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw him yesterday on TV for a Subway commercial so I was thinking about him. [Frown]

Wonder if they will pull his ads now?

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I may be obtuse.

But I don't hang out with sting rays.

I liked Steve Irwin.

But I couldn't watch him because every time he got near an animal, I would start thinking of his little kids and how bad it would be if he died.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Everything entails risks. Heck, many of his activities, given his experience and training, are likely less risky than some of the activities you engage in (such as driving or being driven anywhere). This almost certainly was, given the small number of incidents among the vast numbers of people who dive around reefs.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Okay, I'll just leave this thread now.

You all have fun.

James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Rest in peace, Steve.

--j_k edited this post because his point became irrelevent

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
The irreverent headlines make me a little twitchy - 'Hunter Killed by Fish' (in manner of 'Man Bites Dog'). It sounds funny, but it's not.

Very sad. Poor kids.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Farewell to one of the more entertaining whackjobs in recent memory. He'll be missed [Frown]
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
kq, I know you said you left, but just in case you're still reading, I wonder - do you think it's wrong of my husband to go to work every day? He's in two of the most dangerous professions there are - firefighting and construction.

I absolutely accept the fact that he may one day die doing his job. I don't want him to quit doing it, though, because it's who he is. Steve Irwin was born to do what he did. He was raised by a father who did the same thing and the man had an enormous passion for wildlife and for letting the public see a different side of dangerous animals. For him to stop doing that just because he had a child would be for him to stop being who he was. I would rather my children have a father who loves them, but also loves his work and is happy with himself because I think that will make him a better father. Steve Irwin would have been a miserable man if he were, say, a banker sitting in an office all day. And miserable men trapped in jobs they hate don't make the best fathers, I don't think.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to miss Steve a lot, I grew up watching his specials on the Discovery Channel. He's probably responsible for most of my feelings towards animal conservation. Not to mention the fact that he was so amazingly cool.

He's wrestling crocodiles in heaven now.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just catching up on this thread and was about to respond to ketchupqueen when I read Belle's post, and since she summed up my thoughts nicely (and has more credibility than I do, as I don't have a firefighter husband who, if memory serves me, was trained in crawling through narrow passages to find survivors) I'll leave it at mostly that.

I'm pretty sure his wife Terri knew what their life would be like when she married him, and he was working on a segment for a new show with his daughter; from all reports it sounds like he spent quite a lot of time with his family, who are just as passionate about animals and conservation as he was.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palliard
Member # 8109

- posted      Profile for Palliard   Email Palliard         Edit/Delete Post 
Steve Irwin died doing what he loved to do, in a relatively quick and painless fashion. That's nowhere near as good as not dying, but... you don't usually get a choice.

I will remember him for the enthusiasm he brought to his subject of study. The Crododile Hunter made a lot of otherwise unsavory beasties very cool.

Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, it's interesting that you should say that; earlier today when I read KQ's post I thought the same thing, about Wes in particular.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
I had no idea he was so well known outside of Australia. It nearly brought us to a national stand-still yesterday.

A lot of Australians had a bit of 'cultural cringe' about Steve, if you didn't get it, you'd think he was almost a caricature of an Australian. In reality, he was the quintessential Aussie - what we all are, just under the surface, no matter how sophisticated we like to pretend we are.

His death didn't happen because he lived a dangerous life. Stingrays aren't dangerous. Over four times as many people a year die from vending machines than have ever died from Stingrays.

He'll be missed.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
I have also sawm with stingrays and the thought of the barb plunging into my heart also never crossed my mind. CNN says the chances of that happening is "one-in-a-million".

That is so sad, though. But he did live a full, exuberant life and that can't be said for many (especially those only as young as 44).

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
A terrible loss for conservation. I remember when I first saw the Crocodile Hunter on TV, I was amazed that someone was championing the cause of the non-cuddly animals as passionately as he was. His methods were dangerous, but that was his point - to get in close to the animals, show you the beauty of the sorts of creatures most folks would avoid. It's also worth remembering that his methods were more dangerous for him, but safer for the animals. It's easy to think he's just a nutjob for jumping on the back of a croc in a mesh net to capture it, but it's a lot safer than a steel trap or drugs for the croc and that is what mattered to him.

Something caught my interest yesterday - they were replaying a few of the retrospective shows on Steve yesterday on Animal Planet. There was another time when he was out filming on his boat, when a call came out that some divers were swept away from their boat and lost. He didn't hear about much in the way of a rescue operation going on, so he stopped filming and started one of his own. He found one of the lost divers, who had been battered by 10 foot waves, and rescued him. Saved his life. That's what I think Steve was about, saving life. Whether it's a croc, a wallaby, a snake or a person.

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.