FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm pretending that I can create a webcomic.

Author Topic: I'm pretending that I can create a webcomic.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.ohlookabutterfly.com/albums/nathan/abh.swf

http://www.ohlookabutterfly.com/albums/nathan/abi.swf

First one had a rather crappy format. Sorry 'bout that. I promise here on out I will take the time to create a border.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting comic. I like the one with the shark!
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Fahim's been talking about doing a comic as well. Is there something in the water? [Wink]

The one with the shark confused me. [Frown] Is it just me? Please tell me it's not just me.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking that the second one is a visual depiction of "jumping the shark." I'm not sure what he's referring to, though.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Hahahaha that totally looks like you. Sweeeet.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Well, when I did the first one, it was 2:00 in the morning, and I thought it was a pretty funny joke. It wasn't. And was poorly presented. So I did a follow up comic saying that I attempted to jump the shark, but things got out of hand (in this one, jump = mugged).
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
T smith: I like! Keep going! Webcomicing is a lot of work but it's fun and rewarding =)

(I think the first one was funnier than the second... but I didn't get the second)

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome Nathan!
[Smile] Keep going.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

- posted      Profile for PUNJABEE   Email PUNJABEE         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice to meet another aspiring webcomic artist/writer.

Mine is here. I haven't finished a new comic in a few months, I never have the time to really get to work on it.

edit: there are more than just the ones on the main page, if you are so inclined to read the older ones.

Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

http://www.ohlookabutterfly.com/albums/nathan/abj.swf

I drew a Jamie character that doesn't suck completely.

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

[ROFL]

I love it.

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

http://www.ohlookabutterfly.com/albums/nathan/abk.swf
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

Are you implying that Strongbad isn't funny anymore?

Cuz... that's just not true.

Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

More! Morrrrre!
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
1. I think it's a great start.

2. Stop pretending. You're doing it, so claim it. Say, "I, Nathan Novak, am creating a webcomic." You don't need to pretend.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
*snerk!* Anything with Strongbad is funny
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

I am saying strongbad isn't what he used to be. Just like the x-files, doesn't mean that some of it wasn't worth watching, it just means that it's clich'ing itself (of course, I haven't watched homestar in about 4 months, so who knows, maybe they changed, but they sure as heck jumped the shark when I was watching).
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Nathan, I'm not sure that a webcomic that appears to be exclusively about when things stop being funny is going to be funny. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Yeah, I really should stop writing these at 3 in the morning.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Way to be supportive, Tom =P I'm sure T_Smith can make jokes about other thigngs. There's only been 4 comics!

Pix

T_Smith
Member # 3734

Actually, it's quite cool that Tom commented. I personally enjoy critiques (part of me will never believe I'm doing good unless there is a goal on how to be better, and I acheive it).

If people don't tell me how I can be better, I'll never improve.

And yeah, they'll be other jokes.

I personally just wanted to say in the future that I jumped the shark in the second strip, just for peoples references in case I get better. I don't want an arguement of "oh, he totally jumped the shark in his second year." No, no confusion here. But then the joke kind of flopped, so I followed it up with the StrongBad one. Which kind of flopped. So heh, yeah, I'll try doing one before midnight next time, and I promise not to make social commentary on how X is no longer funny. [Smile]

Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I look forward to more. I can only see them in Explorer, not in Firefox, though. (not that I would have the first clue how to change that--just sayin'.)
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
PUNJABEE,
Your character is wearing a Robotech shirt.... Cool! [Big Grin]

Almost makes me want to make a comic... I'm nuts.

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

quote:
Originally posted by human_2.0:
PUNJABEE,
Your character is wearing a Robotech shirt.... Cool! [Big Grin]

Almost makes me want to make a comic... I'm nuts.

Yeah, all three of my characters wear a shirt that references something about pop culture (hence the name of the comic) and since each character is based on a real person, the personal reference is specific to something they love.

The Robotech shirt wearing guy is named Mark, based on my best friend of the same name. The guy with the green hair and Spider-man shirt (and recently a Superman shirt) is based on myself, and the beady-eyed bluehaired guy with the Clerks shirt is based on my friend Nick.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.