FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bilingual Party Games -- Help!

Author Topic: Bilingual Party Games -- Help!
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I’m helping to host a housewarming shower that will include guests who speak Spanish but little to no English, guests who speak English but no Spanish at all, and a fairly small number who speak both passably.

What I’m looking for is some sort of activity or game that would be fun for speakers of both languages and might involve everyone learning a few words. (Although probably mostly the English-speakers learning a few Spanish words, since there will be more of us and most of the Spanish-speakers know some English already.)

Ideas?

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Watches thread with hopeful anticipation. . . [Smile]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eldrad
Member # 8578

- posted      Profile for Eldrad           Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't a game, but see if anyone can play any instruments and try to use that as a focus for a while. Be careful, though; when I went to France with some other students from my school, it was effectively impossible to get our two 'groups' (American and French) to mingle, simply because of the ease each group had in sticking with their native tongue.
Posts: 143 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I can help you with... oh wait.. I misread the title...
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, Pix, you are just so naughty!

I'm not big on party games, but would Pictionary work?

Failing that, there is a banner ad at the bottom of this page that guarantees that you can learn Spanish in 6 days or your money back.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sm34rZ
Member # 8609

- posted      Profile for Sm34rZ           Edit/Delete Post 
That ad is hilarious!

[ROFL]

Posts: 113 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Now it's Quality Mexican Insurance
Apply, Buy & Print Online!
DriveMex.com

[Wink]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Would this work?

There are lots of games at Party Game Central.

I actually found that link through About.com. That site has party game links.

If you do pictionary and have something you can use as an easel, you can get newspaper roll ends from a printing plant, most likely. Our paper sells them for $2 each. I was thinking it would be handy.

Good luck with the party.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

Oh, another idea: ask a Spanish teacher. They have to come up with ideas for class and might have something that would work.
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
Or you could just use a piñata. Whacking something to gain a prize should be enticing to all nationalities. Just make sure the price is worth it (and able to withstand some bashing). [Smile]
Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Pin the tail on el burro?
Sorry, that's close to todo espanol mi conocer.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
This is not helpful at all but wouldn't it be funny to play telephone. Strategically place people who are bilingual between the all English and all Spanish speakers and see what the come up wiht at the end. That would be hilarious!
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
The party went off without a hitch. We had several people there who are bilingual and the family's 4-year-old daughter served as comic relief during the opening of presents. It was great!
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.