FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How does replacing your own printer ink work?

Author Topic: How does replacing your own printer ink work?
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
In one of my classes today the subject of replacing your own ink came up. Several people had done it before and their experiences ranged from it destroying their printer to they do it every time. I had never heard of such a thing before today, but if it works well it would save a lot of money. Has anybody ever done this? What were your experiences? Are there any tips that make it less risky?
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
All it involved for me was removing the spent cartridges and replacing them with the new ones. Easy as pie and works like a charm (which is surprising because I have the tendancy to blow things up).

Edit to add: My printer is an ink jet, I don't know if you are meaning laser printers. I have no experience there.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't even know there we're people that would change it for you. I do it every time my printer needs ink!
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

I'm sorry, my explanation was poor. They were saying that instead of buying new cartridges, they just bought ink kits and inserted the new ink into their old cartridge. They said the ink kits are about a third the price of a new cartridge.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen them but I've never tried it. I think my teachers at school did though, not caring if the printer was ruined.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never tried it myself, but my mom bought one of those injector kits and (I believe) used it successfully on her old printer. Or she may have just bought the kit and left it sitting unused on the shelf because she didn't know how to use it, I'm not sure. But either way, I heard nothing from her about a ruined printer.
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, nevermind I was boggled for a second. I have honestly never done that, but have heard it works. Do a couple of google searches and see if you can find anyone who has done it with your specific printer.
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I did that once... never again.

When you get a kit, they give you a bunch of bottles of ink and a syringe (or sometimes a few so you don't mix colors). You take the ink cartridge out of the printer, fill the syringe with ink, and stick the needle into the cartridge through little holes at the top that are usually covered by a label. If you push the needle in too far, you can puncture out the other side and destroy the cartridge, which is what happened to me. If you put in too much ink, you can end up bleeding all over the inside of the printer and trash the entire printer.

Some of the office supply stores now offer ink refill services. I might possibly consider having them do it - if I had an inkjet printer anymore, that is.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never done it with an inkjet, but be careful. Some cartridges have microchips on them that tell the printer when they are out of ink, and refilling the ink doesn't reset the microchip. So the printer will still tell you that it is out of ink and refuse to print.

I used to have a really old laser printer that I'd gotten for free and that I babied along for a few years. I used a toner refill kit that I got online and it was very easy. However, apparently that's a nono and you probably shouldn't do it with an expensive laser printer that actually works all the time. Or so I've been told.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
I did it with my epson before I got my new lexmark. It worked like a charm for me assuming that I followed the directions properly. I ran out of ink in my kit though and a friend tells me she couldn't make it work in her lexmark so I may not try it again.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

Thank you guys for all of your advice! It sounds like it is a bit risky and I don't want to risk damaging my fancy printer/copier/scanner, so I guess that's out. Tomorrow I'll call the office supply stores around here and ask if they do refills. That sounds like a less risky/ still cheap way to go. [Smile]
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
tools necessary: exacto knife, pen, cartidge, 5 beers (depending on body weight), Pink Floyd record, bandades. Large Hammer.

Step 1. Remove Cartridge. Drink one beer.

Step 2. Break Pen. Drain into dixie cup. Drink one beer.

Step 3. Create an aluminum funnel using the exacto knife on an empty beer can. Be careful! You are intoxicated.

Step 4. Drink one beer.

Step 5. Attempt to pour pen ink into print cartridge. Throw out pants. Drink one Beer.

Step 6. Smash cartridge, preferably in the driveway. Apply bandades. Drink final beer.

Step 7.

Step 8. Profit!

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Is step 7. selling the hammer and smashed ink cartridge to a stoned frat boy, because that's what I did, and the "profit" wasn't what I'd hoped for. [Frown]
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a boom market (at least around where I live) in ink cartridge refill service stores. You can still save some money by using them, and they may offer some guarantees about not destroying your printer.

In addition, my understanding is that a lot of the "kits" glop the same ink into the boxes and say they'll work with a wide variety of printers, even though they aren't very good matches. You can easily end up with the wrong viscosity, inexact color, and so on.

I'd go with the services. I do.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
I've replaced the ink in the original cartridges using one of these do-it-yourself kits, and I've used third-party ink cartridges. Neither yielded satisfactory results in my Lexmark printer. I've learned my lesson; I stick with the manufacturer's cartridges now.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] Orincoro !!
Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.