FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hey! All you with Google-fu!

Author Topic: Hey! All you with Google-fu!
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to find a story that I read in Good Housekeeping years ago. The basic jist (that I remember) goes something like this:

Woman, either recently widowed or divorced (I'm pretty sure widowed) moves to small town where retired cop is working as a gardener. I also recall something about emeralds and attempted theft. Of course, sullen police officer turned gardener saves woman from thief.

I tried the Good Housekeeping website and couldn't find anything. I thought at first it might be a Nicholas Sparks novel, but I've checked those and I don't think so. My google-fu is sadly lacking. Please help!

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
This is as close as I can come with a quick poke around:

Vineyard Deceit: A Martha's Vineyard Mystery RC 57603
by Philip R. Craig
read by Ray Foushee
2 cassettes
A Middle Eastern king and his entourage descend on the island to recover a stolen national treasure of emeralds. While ex-Boston cop Jeff "J.W." Jackson helps local police oversee the exchange, the jewels vanish, and so does Jackson's lady friend, Zee. Some descriptions of sex and some strong language. 1992.

Link.

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Was that it andi?
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

No, but good try considering my description.

I could probably do with just a list of fiction stories that have appeared in Good Housekeeping Magazine between say 1990 and 1997? That's probably the range when I would have read it. Or so.

Edit: Please don't go hopping from website to website to pull a list together. But if you could find a list already compiled that would be great.

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
Your best bet might be an email (GHKLetters@hearst.com) to the magazine itself.

You might also post a similar query on their own message boards -- they have one for books and reading.

Edit: Another tack would be to visit a library if you have one nearby that carries it on microfilm. Then it would be a brute-force search through, what, 100 issues or so? Wouldn't take long if you could skim the table of contents for each, assuming the title would ring a bell.

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

Yeah, I thought of that, I'm just being sort of lazy. (The library thing I mean.) But again, thanks for trying.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.