FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I made my first document in LaTeX!

Author Topic: I made my first document in LaTeX!
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a problem set for Probability & Statistics I. Our professor requires us to type up homework, and Microsoft Equation Editor just takes forever. Now I can cross off "learn LaTeX for grad school" off my list.

I feel like such a little math dork. [Cool]

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
I :heart: LaTeX. [Big Grin]

I learned LaTeX and vi at the same time. While writing two math papers. Haven't really done any TeXing to speak of since I graduated, though.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathematician
Member # 9586

- posted      Profile for Mathematician           Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVE LaTeX, one of my favorite math tools ever.

I typed up an undergrad independent study paper in word/equation editor and it took forever, so I forced myself to learn tex.

My master's paper came up, and writing a good 25 page paper in Tex really helped to sink in all of the commands, etc.

Now I use tex all the time, sometimes I'll even bring my laptop into class and tex up the notes as the professor writes them.

Congratulations!

Posts: 168 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I learned LaTex for my thesis.

I wrote my thesis in LaTex.

I haven't touched the thing since.

Although I do use vi editor on a daily basis.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

Huh, I'd have pegged you for an emacs guy. No offense intended. [Smile]

I actually use vim instead of vi these days, but same idea.

[Edit:

quote:
Now I use tex all the time, sometimes I'll even bring my laptop into class and tex up the notes as the professor writes them.
Wow, that's pretty impressive.]
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I actually use vim instead of vi these days, but same idea.
Same here.

The latest version has a spell-checker built in.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chanie
Member # 9544

- posted      Profile for Chanie   Email Chanie         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a version of vi the other day with that annoying Microsoft paper clip.

Welcome to the word of dorkdom. Once you get fluent in LaTex, you never go back.

Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
So, you made your first document in LaTeX.

That sounds swell, but... doesn't it get hot in the rubber suit after a while?

Oh come on... you knew sooner or later someone was going to make that joke!

Steve/BlueWizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Technically, someone made that joke sooner.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard of either of these, but I could sure use something that makes typing equations and such easier. Which one is better to start with?
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
LaTex. (Assuming you meant betweeen Tex and LaTex.)
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually meant LaTeX and vi. I didn't realize there was a difference between Tex and LaTeX.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

Little_Doctor:

Google "LaTeX" and click on the first link that comes up. Click on "How to get it" on the left, and then follow the instructions. It'll take awhile to download then extract everything. Follow the setup guidelines in the accompying PDF - there are several add-ons that you'll probably want.

I'd then suggest reading through the first four chapters of "The Not So Short Introduction to LaTeX" which can also be found by googling. It helps to have knowledge of a programming language to use LaTeX, but it's not necessary.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I used LaTeX when I worked at ORNL. It is of the devil.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

Well I know C++, and am fairly familiar with Java. Will that be enough?
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
LaTeX is a text formatting language, not a full-fledged programming language, if I remember correctly, LD.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
TeX, which LaTeX is sort of a set of higher-level applications of, is a Turing complete, iirc.

*checks* Yep, Turing complete.

You just want to use LaTeX, though, if all you want is a nice way to do equations.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

It's not a programming language - just a type-setter - but I think it's useful to be familar with the type of things that go on in programming languages, like commenting out sections of text, for instance.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my favorite uses of LaTeX is programming in Literate Haskell -- the resulting document is compilable with Haskell to be the program or with LaTeX to be the documentation for the program.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

Ooh, nice. One of these days I'll learn Haskell.

quote:
I actually meant LaTeX and vi.
So, vi (actually vim, as I mentioned) is just the text editor I use. You can use vi to write LaTeX, but you can write LaTeX without using vi and you can use vi to write other stuff. It was just an incidental mention.

(Yes, "mention" is a noun. Deal. [Wink] )

King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jhai:
It's not a programming language - just a type-setter - but I think it's useful to be familar with the type of things that go on in programming languages, like commenting out sections of text, for instance.

If it is Turing equivalent, then it is, actually, a programming language. [Smile]
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
I heart LaTeX. I used it all summer, and it's hard going back to Word - I keep thinking, "What? Why can't I use search-and-replace? Why can't I just define a tag for this word instead of typing it over and over? Grrrr."

(Of course, you don't really need LaTeX to write English papers... but I still really miss those features. [Razz] )

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I keep thinking, "What? Why can't I use search-and-replace? Why can't I just define a tag for this word instead of typing it over and over? Grrrr."
Um....
You know you can do both those things in Word, right?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

JaNeX, you capitalized your name wrong. [Razz]
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I would have been seriously annoyed if any of my undergrad professors had required typed homework. Mind that I'm refering only to math classes, lab reports and other papers are much more reasonable to type. (More importantly, typing doesn't add a step to doing the work, like it does in a math class.)

If his concern is legibility, just marking off for things he can't read would solve that problem pretty quickly.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

My advisor in college would agree with you: The Best Homework Ever. Never met the guy [edit: Curtis, that is] -- he was a few years before my time. Incidentally, I just found his website. There are lots of cool things there. Whoa.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.