FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pirates II: Breaking the 1 billion dollar mark...

Author Topic: Pirates II: Breaking the 1 billion dollar mark...
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
"Dead Man's Chest" now in the company of "Titanic" and "Return of the King"...

No pressure on that third film, eh?

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
Not bad for a franchise based a really boring ride.

What's next? "It's a small world" or "Wirling Teacups"

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Good movie, but I don't want it to beat LotR:RotK. Will anything ever be able to overtake Titanic? I mean, heavy hitters like LotR, Star Wars, Harry Potter and Spider-man haven't even come close. Seriously, what the hell happened there?!
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
"It's a Small World" would make a great movie! It'd be the perfect movie for anyone who didn't have a headache!
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Do I need to bring up 'Haunted Mansion'?
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Come on Matterhorn!
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
And if I may say so, next summer has some serious potential. I'm not saying any of the movies coming out will be good, but they certainly have potential.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

No, nothing will ever take Titanic, and a thousand years from now we will all be judged by it.

It is funny that the movie that is soo far in 1st place would hardly be mentioned by anyone, except as a joke, just 10 years later.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't even stay awake in this movie, and it's this popular?

Good lord.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove:
And if I may say so, next summer has some serious potential. I'm not saying any of the movies coming out will be good, but they certainly have potential.

Summer of the 3rd's

Spiderman
Shrek
Pirates

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by SC Carver:
No, nothing will ever take Titanic, and a thousand years from now we will all be judged by it.

It is funny that the movie that is soo far in 1st place would hardly be mentioned by anyone, except as a joke, just 10 years later.

Isn't it though? To this day, I haven't seen any reference to it post-1998 that -wasn't- a parody.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
quote:

Summer of the 3rd's

Spiderman
Shrek
Pirates

I'm betting Spider-Man 3 will be the most successful with Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End a close second.

And, I'm predicting that the third time won't be the charm for Shrek, unless that series finds a way to keep things fresh.

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

I don't know, Eddie Murphy and Mike Myers are some really funny guys. I feel like there were some other movies coming out too ... I'll have to go to the movies tonight and look at the posters.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have liked to hear just a few of the Shrek lines voiced by Chris Farley. They should have included his audio track in the DVD release [Frown]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. Out of these three (Titanic, LotR:RotK and Pirates II) I actually think I like Titanic most. RotK is a perfect example for how trying to stick to the book can sometimes be a very bad idea: the neverending ending comes to mind. Oh, my. Are. we. there. YET?! As for Pirates II, there is such a thing as too much action and then there's Pirates II which gloriouosly beats even that. Maybe Pirates III can be an uninterrupted 2h lesson in swordfight? How swell...

I think I have to review Titanic, it was a long time ago. [Razz]

P.S. Shrek III and Spiderman III might actually be worth it. The first 2 from each were all good.

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
there is such a thing as too much action
There is never such a thing as too much pirate action.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Pirates II was better than the first one. So did KPC.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

quote:
Originally posted by pH:
quote:
there is such a thing as too much action
There is never such a thing as too much pirate action.

-pH

I'm sorry, but at some point it just turned into a boring headache for me. [Razz] Plus, all the possibly interesting character interaction was stripped to bits here and there. It could have been a much better movie had they given it more personality instead of more sword fights. Oh, and the ending? Come on, even I can come up with a better one! When nothing is impossible anymore it just seems like nothing matters either. Maybe I'm not at the right age for this kind of movies anymore?! I miss the first one. [Frown]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I didnt think P2 was better than the first, but it WAS a good movie.

ROTK only annoys me because too much was changed that didn't have to be, my most favorite characters and favorite scene were left out, and all in all I think in many ways it almost departed too much from the book for me to like it. The end was a huge anticlimax of an end...all of the ends.

Speaking of sequels...when are we going to see the rest of the Titanic Trilogy? Is Olympic or Britannic in the works? Olympic has some neat WW1 stories to it, including being the only known commercial vessel to ram and sink a Uboat during the war. This, after ferrying thousands of allied troops all over the ocean and surviving a torpedo strike (it was a dud, during same battle that sunk the uboat).

Now if we add to that an amazing love story of a young British girl traveling on the ship, and her German naval officer lover on the Uboat, we get some tension, and some great action scenes.
Think U-571, mixed with Crimson Tide and Titanic. Dynamite!

And with the Britannic, we could follow the life of some poor British soldier who was sent to fight in Galipolee, and then ended up on the Britannic as a wounded soldier when it was in service as a hospital ship. Somehow later he's on the ship again when it strikes a mine after passing the straits of Messina. Maybe the UBoat that records the sinking can be the same one that the Olympic rams!

War, Romance, cool action scenes. It's a trilogy everyone can get behind.

Or if that trilogy dead, what about the Lusitania? It's Pearl Harbor meets Titanic. How can you possibly lose?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

No way! Elizabeth and Jack? That was some awesome character development AND some pirate action (although not as much as I would've liked [Wink] ).

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

I thought it was kind of stupid. Ok, so, um, she wants herself a little pirate, whatever.

********Spoiler*******

The scene where she kisses him and then doesn't tell Will why it happened is also a lame excuse to introduce some "drama". I thought they brought Norrington back with a reason, but the only one was that he was present in the first movie too. Just another sword, not a real character.

*******end of spoiler*******

I know, I want too much. But something new and "believable" would have been interesting. The more I think about it the less I remember the good parts (which were laughs here and there) and the more I think it's not worth seeing again. But I really want to, if only to see if I can manage to get past my first impression. And maybe as a tribute to the first one.

Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
ROTK only annoys me because too much was changed that didn't have to be, my most favorite characters and favorite scene were left out, and all in all I think in many ways it almost departed too much from the book for me to like it. The end was a huge anticlimax of an end...all of the ends.

What scene was left out that you loved?

I was bummed at the lack of Faramir/Eowyn story, but appeased that it appeared in the extended version.

And I loved the ending. I thought The Grey Havens was handled perfectly, even though it was a bit different from the book, as was Sam's return to the Shire and Rosie. I thought it totally captured the mood at the end of the book.

I've never seen Titanic--when it first came out, I remember saying, "Well, I know the ending, the ship sinks." And nothing that I ever heard about it really made me feel like the story was that worth seeing. I'll probably rent it someday just to know what the fuss was all about.

Just as I'll go see Pirates II someday. I liked but didn't love the first one, and don't have any serious expectations for the second. The octopus face squicks me out. And I am not really big on action flicks anyway. I do think Depp is deliciously weird as Jack Sparrow, though, so for that I'll see it.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by Corwin:
Ok, so, um, she wants herself a little pirate, whatever.

...don't we all?

I thought it was good. And it was also a little unexpected to me; I figured Disney would endorse the "They are engaged, happy relationship" sort of wholesomeness. I don't know why, since it's Pirates, but still.

-pH

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've never seen Titanic--when it first came out, I remember saying, "Well, I know the ending, the ship sinks." And nothing that I ever heard about it really made me feel like the story was that worth seeing. I'll probably rent it someday just to know what the fuss was all about.
It's a pretty standard romantic comedy... a little melodramatic, but honestly, it has its moments. The thing that really impressed me about the movie was it was the first time since The Ten Commandments I had ever seen a movie put so much effort in creating elaborate sets and costumes. The ship and the rooms inside are definitely the products of lots of time and effort, and you feel like you are right there with them. Nowadays, you see this a lot in movies, but when it came out its no wonder people were dazzled.

As to the Jack-Elizabeth thing, I thought she was just trying to manipulate him the only way she knew would work. Am I just really naïve?

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Hey, I wanted some drama too. "Happy ever after" is nice to live but makes for a boring story. (now I KNOW someone will kick me for it, but I think it's true [Smile] )

My problem is with the way they introduced this so-called drama. It's like Gilmore Girls' last season. They want to film some more, so what do they do? *******NOTMUCHOFASPOILERSINCEEVERYBODYSAWITCOMING***** They break'em all! I know people sometimes act irrationally. (first hand experience) I know they hide their true motives from time to time. (again, first hand experience [Big Grin] ) But if a movie doesn't give me either the logic or the real/a believable reason for an action it will just feel like an empty one. For me, if Elizabeth would have fallen in love with the previously-undead-one-eyed-pirate it would have meant about the same thing as what happened in the movie itself. :shrug:

I'll stop now. It seems like I'm suffering from acute argumentitis today. [Wink]

Corwin
Member # 5705

MyrddinFyre, it seemed a little bit more than that. Remember when the compass is supposed to tell her where is the thing that she wants most? And it points to Jack for a second?
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Yeah I do... it was so obvious to me that I thought it was added specifically to throw us off. Maybe there was something else in that direction, miles away. Maybe he stole something of hers. Maybe it's just me being overly optimistic that they put more thought into it than it might seem!
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

You're thinking too much. [Wink] They, on the other hand, are thinking too little. [Big Grin]

But that scene doesn't "explain" anything, does it? It gives you a pill to swallow and that's it.

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just waiting until they make a movie based on the Disney World's teacup ride. [Wink]
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't that ride already based on Alice in Wonderland?

It's the Mad Hatter's Tea Party, No?

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eldrad
Member # 8578

- posted      Profile for Eldrad           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Not bad for a franchise based a really boring ride.

What's next? "It's a small world" or "Wirling Teacups"

I'd say not bad for a franchise continued by a really terrible movie.
Posts: 143 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

I thought the 1st Pirates was better than the 2nd. Being the first it was more original. I liked the way they built up the story with people not knowing about the curse, and I thought the effects were more interesting with the pirates moving in and out of the moonlight. The conch shell guy was ridiculous and the sea creatures just were as scary as the 1st movie.

I think Shrek 3 will run out of steam.

I have high hopes for Spiderman. If the venom story is done right it could be good.

Jon_Snow
Member # 8911

- posted      Profile for Jon_Snow   Email Jon_Snow         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
I couldn't even stay awake in this movie, and it's this popular?

Good lord.

I totally fell asleep...not to mention the fact that I was severely irritated at being forced to go see it in the first place...quite possibly one of the worst movies ever...hehe, along with Breakin'.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by MyrddinFyre:
Yeah I do... it was so obvious to me that I thought it was added specifically to throw us off. Maybe there was something else in that direction, miles away. Maybe he stole something of hers. Maybe it's just me being overly optimistic that they put more thought into it than it might seem!

I liked it because it made me hate her more.

Except I didn't hate her for cheating on Will. I hated her for not dumping will for Jack, who is clearly the better-looking, more exciting, less-effeminite choice.

-pH

Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't mind Pirates II, though it wasn't as good as the first, and wasn't a complete story on its own. And Titanic wasn't that bad, the first time through. I hope Shrek 3 measures up to the first two, but I'm skeptical.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
While it's not a 3, Fantastic Four 2 aka Fantastic Four and the Silver Surfer aka Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer aka whatever other long name they decide to give it also comes out next summer. It's not nearly exciting at Spider-Man 3, but it's still pretty neat.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Hrm. I didn't like the first Fantastic Four movie enough to make me want to see a second one, even if it is a comic book movie...
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I felt so-so about the first Fantastic Four movie. The only reason I'm for sure going to see the second one is because of the Silver Surfer. He's just awesome.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

Summer of the 3rd's

Spiderman
Shrek
Pirates

Don't forget the 5th - Harry Potter. Talk about a blockbuster movie summer...
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

What scene was left out that you loved?

I was bummed at the lack of Faramir/Eowyn story, but appeased that it appeared in the extended version.

And I loved the ending. I thought The Grey Havens was handled perfectly, even though it was a bit different from the book, as was Sam's return to the Shire and Rosie. I thought it totally captured the mood at the end of the book.

My favorite scene was the mustering of Gondor, when all the fiefdoms send their troops to help in the defense of Gondor. I think it would've made things a billion times more cool, especially if they had finished the battle the way it was meanet to be, with the armies from Lebenin, Lossarnach, Ethir and the other southern fiefdoms were freed by the army of the dead and then went with Aragorn to the Pellennor. It also would have been cool to show the black ships and the rallying of the morgul troops, only to have them flee in fear when the standard of the King broke the wind. Those are some of the best images from the book.

My favorite character was Prince Imhrahil, who was totally shut out of the movie. As were Elrohir and Elladan, the twin sons of Elrond. I don't mind cutting the Scouring of the Shire, it's purpose was good for the book, but cutting it out of the movie made a lot of sense. Still, I'll never forgive my favorite scenes being cut out.

Oh, another thing I wanted was the Red Arrow being taken to King Theoden, and the passing through the Druadan forest and Ghan-buri-ghan (okay okay, THAT I can live without, but I want my mustering!)

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

quote:
You're thinking too much. [Wink] They, on the other hand, are thinking too little. [Big Grin]
I'm sure you're right... unfortunately [Big Grin]

quote:
Except I didn't hate her for cheating on Will. I hated her for not dumping will for Jack, who is clearly the better-looking, more exciting, less-effeminite choice.
[ROFL]
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pfresh85:
I felt so-so about the first Fantastic Four movie. The only reason I'm for sure going to see the second one is because of the Silver Surfer. He's just awesome.

Yes.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Note: Npr announced today, but I can't link a news story from work, that political fund raising for he upcoming congressional elections have also pusted $1 Billion.

Coincidence?

Or sinister pirate/political plot.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Jack Sparrow for President!

-pH

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.