FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » *sniffs* I'm so proud. I've corrupted my daughter so young.

Author Topic: *sniffs* I'm so proud. I've corrupted my daughter so young.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday I was flipping through channels looking for something to distract me and caught a few seconds of Ripley's Believe it or Not. Dean Cain happened to be doing his announcer thing at the time and Emma pointed, jumped up and down, and yelled happily, "Tuper! Man!"

And this morning she was watching something and they were singing "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star." After she finished the hand motions, she loudly added her own comment on the night sky: "I like mooooooon!"

*sniff* It warms a mother's heart.

Or maybe signals that I've been watching tv and such too much while I've been feeling under the weather.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
KQ: You make me want to have a little one...
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dear. Now I'm going to have "We like da mooooonnn" going through my head all evening -- and I don't even get it!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of corruption...

Today, at Scholar's Bowl practice, a question on the worksheet round was "What singer is famous for his number one hit 'Margaritaville'?"

And who was the only student to get it right? Mine, of course. The coach said "Okay, who here knows Jimmy Buffet?" and asked her if she could sing it, she said yes and then said she and the coach broke into song until he realized that it was probably inappropriate to be singing drinking songs in school. [Embarrassed]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I have Margaritaville stuck in my head!

I have one too. My daughter and I were at the dollar store picking out a treat since she had a good week at school when she saw a book with the Marine insignia on it. She said, "Hey Mom, this is Dad's tattoo! We should get this for him!" I couldn't believe my 3-year-old could associate the picture on her dad's hairy shoulder with this glossy colorful book cover.

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Wooohooooo!!!!! Emma sings spongmonkeys!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle's post made me think of this..

The other day I was watching a late-night local show which is a state-based quiz show (like Scholar's Bowl, because it is high school vs. high school, but it's not called that).

So these two panels of four kids each from each school should be their most geekiest kids, right? The ones that know all the chemistry and physics and math and everything else that comes up on any kind of trivia/scholar quiz?

Well, one of the toss-up questions was, "What King had to answer three questions posed by the bridgekeeper in order to cross the bridge of death in a well-known Monty Python film?"

and no one answered!

They totally lost my respect as fellow scholars when they didn't know that one....

[Smile]
FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morydd
Member # 5004

- posted      Profile for Morydd   Email Morydd         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in High School our Scholastic Bowl team won a round against the Math & Science Academy because a third of the questions were pop culture and religion. We had people good at math an science, but they had no one who had (apparently) ever been to a church, seen a movie or listened to an album that wasn't Mozart.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
Speaking of corruption...

Today, at Scholar's Bowl practice, a question on the worksheet round was "What singer is famous for his number one hit 'Margaritaville'?"

And who was the only student to get it right? Mine, of course. The coach said "Okay, who here knows Jimmy Buffet?" and asked her if she could sing it, she said yes and then said she and the coach broke into song until he realized that it was probably inappropriate to be singing drinking songs in school. [Embarrassed]

I'm impressed. Can't wait to corrupt my five year old that way!

Kids these days... they're just not like us. I remember things like a heated debate with my niece that American Pie was NOT written by Madonna...

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Scholar's Bowl questions have a lot of pop culture in them now. Natalie also answered a Tolkien question, about the books, not the movie.

The other questions ranged from geography (What's the highest mountain peak in North America?) to history questions on the ancient Egyptians to sports questions on college football. One goal the team coach has is not necessarily to field a team with so-called "smart kids" but to make sure he has a well-rounded team with members that have diverse interests.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.