FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Who's a really great...

Author Topic: Who's a really great...
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
... jazz guitarist?

... bluegrass band?

I'm downloading music and I need some ideas. I figured I could start a thread that I could ressurect everytime I wanted to ask who/what you guys think is really great. Feel free to solicit opinions, should you feel the need.

(FYI - This is legal downloading fully supported by the artist.)

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I could give you some good New Orleans jazz/funk/rock/with a tuba and/or violin bands...

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

It would be greatly appreciated if you would... [Smile]
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd really appreciate some direction on some GREAT funk music. Something along the lines of old school Red Hot Chili Peppers and Wild Cherry.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

If your looking for "GREAT" funk music, I would suggest going a little farther back, to the George Clinton/Clarence Carter/Rick James/Marvin Gaye era of funk music. The most modern funk that I really liked was Digital Underground.

But I am very eager to get some good recomendations, if they are out there...

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Johnny Sketch and the Dirty Notes.

Morning 40 Federation.

[Smile]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

Awesome, thanks!
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend is a complete jazz nerd (not to be confused with jazz snob) and he loves Medeski Martin and Wood. http://www.mmw.net/ They have so many albums though that I wouldn't know which one to recommend. Each has a very different sound so its just a matter of personal taste.

Chris Wood from that group is also a part of The Wood Brothers who do some great bluegrass (mixed with some jazz, country, and blues.) "Ways To Lose" is one of my favorite albums. Every song is amazing.

Yonder Mountain String Band is also good bluegrass. I saw them at JazzFest and they were the best we heard that weekend.

If you're still looking for good jazz guitarists in particular, I'll ask my guy for suggestions.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

I'm listening to a live Yonder Mountain String Band show that I just downloaded, and it's great so far. I love them.

I will now go to the almighty archive.org to search for The Wood Brothers and Medeski Martin and Wood. Thanks much!

Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
Pat Metheny is one of the greatest jazz guitarists/composers of all time. Of course, he's got a lot of eclectic influences, so if you're looking for really traditional jazz it might not be right for you. But I've got about 20 of his albums, and there's not a dud among them.

(Actually, that's not true. One Quiet Night is extremely boring. And Zero Tolerance for Silence was highly experimental, and came off so irritating I had to return it. But if you steer clear of those two, you'll have a hard time going wrong, IMHO)

On the other end of the spectrum, Jazz Samba with Stan Getz and guitarist Charlie Byrd is one of the greatest jazz albums ever recorded. It's bossa nova, which is a cross between cool jazz and Brazilian samba music, and the style hit big in America in the early '60s, thanks in no small part to this album.

Also, if you're in the mood for the exact opposite of cool jazz, and you don't mind going deep into electric jazz fusion, The Mahavishnu Orchestra's album Inner Mounting Flame, featuring the guitar of John McLaughlin, will knock you down and steal your wallet. Some of the craziest jazz guitar ever.

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
Going to see MMW in Philly come November. Good stuff. And I'll also second Yonder...

Keep on rockin'.

Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
For Bluegrass:

Leo Kottke does some amazing things with the guitar.

Chris Thile is good too, as was his band Nickel Creek.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
There's always the banjoist Bela Fleck. Lots of his stuff on archive.org.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.