FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Settlers of Catan Help

Author Topic: Settlers of Catan Help
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi - I'm trying to figure out what the basic placement of the board is for the 5-6 player Cities and Knights expansion and I'm stirking out online. Anyone know a good site for images of Catan boards? I want to set one that makes it fairly even for everyone.

Any help would be much appreciated, we're about to finish Yahtzee!

Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
When I've played the 5-6 player version we go pretty free-form. You usually get a pretty even game if you distribute the numbers so that the 6's and 8's are far from each other and there aren't too many pairs of adjacent numbers that are equal.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

Ooh, thanks Mike!
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, I know how regular Catan works for board placement:

You shuffle the resource tiles and create an island with random resource placement.

Then the dice number tabs are ordered sequentially, and placed the same way each time -- starting in the center and being laid out in order in a spiral. It's the same in the 5-6 person expansion.

I imagine that the same rules apply to cities and knights, though I don't know. But there's an order to the number distribution. If I'm not crazy.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

Speaking about regular Catan now: there is an order, as you explained, but I usually don't follow it when I set up the board. Makes the game more interesting and usually more even.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I thought the game was organized so it would be even.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

It is, mostly. But sometimes the positioning of the desert throws things off.
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it DOES come with a model setup, which you can follow for a fair game... but I could be wrong.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

Oooh, where? There's a model set-up for regular Settlers , , , but does such a thing exist for the Cities and Knights expansion? or just regular expansion, I guess.
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh... for that, I'm not sure. I've only played the regular game. :/
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
IMO, the randomness of the board IS the fairest implementation of the game. It's also one of the most attractive features.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.