FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Recommend me a PDA...

Author Topic: Recommend me a PDA...
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
for reading books.

My Clie is just about dead, so I need something else to read electronic books with.

It doesn't even have to be a PDA, and it doesn't have to be new, as long as I can read books on it.

While I'd love something like the Palm TX with its large screen, I'm looking for something less expensive.

If I don't find anything better, I might just buy an old Palm III on Ebay.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're looking for something less than the TX's price tag, and all you want it for is ebooks, an old Palm III is probably your best bet. You're not going to find much in the way of new PDAs that are less than $200-250.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm using a Palm T|E - an earlier version of the T|X, smaller screen, no WiFi, batterh isn't as good -- and it's served me well for ebook reading for years now.
Whatever you get, make sure it has an expansion slot so you can carry a bunch around with you.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty soon the Sony Reader will come out. While it is expected to be a bit above what you wanted to pay, it is designed for reading ebooks...and has a screen that is much easier on the eyes than a PDA (the new e ink).

Last I heard it was due out in time for the "holiday season"

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Sony being Sony, I'll bet it will be so crippled with DRM that I won't be able to use it to read plain old text files.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
Whatever you get, make sure it has an expansion slot so you can carry a bunch around with you.

This is a good point. But it brings me back to my thought that you won't be able to get much below $150-200, maybe $125 used. I really like my Palm Tungsten E, but other than that highly-suspect lowball listing (sounds like the unit needs serious repairs), most are close to the $150 I'd expect.

And that's before the cost of SD cards. I'd buy a new Tungsten E2, which at least comes with one (admittedly not very big) SD card included for that $200.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've always been partial to getting pulled into an embrace where I almost get swept off my feet and then - OH.

Dunno, never had one.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I too was going to recommend the Palm III. I think Overstock.com still sells reconditioned ones (in perfect shape) for about $70.

I don't know about expansion slots & such, so if you feel you need that, then probably the III is not the right solution.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

It seems to me that it ought to be a lot cheaper to make a simple book reader that is just for reading books. No infrared, no touch screen -- just a big LCD screen.

Actually, there was a really nice product like that a few years ago called an eBookman. It has a card expansion slot and a huge screen. It was perfect except --

-- the screen sucked. >.<

I still have mine, but the screen's so hard to read from that once I got something else to use, I never went back. I'm still angry that such an awesome product was sabotaged like that. :angry:

rivka
Member # 4859

The Cybook starts at $400.
I'm not precisely clear on what problems your eBookman had, but there is a new, improved model! now with backlight for $180. It takes memory cards too.
And FYI, the Palm TX can actually be had for quite a bit below list price. And several ebook sites recommend it as a reader.

skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I got my hands on the Sony Reader at CES last January and loved it. The screen was very easy on the eyes.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I'd go with some quality snuggling, possibly even progressing to 2nd base if we were feeling daring...what? Not that type of PDA?
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Wow, SD cards have gone down in price! These are compatible with Palms, and some other PDAs.
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I too late to make jokes about public displays of affection? No? Only two? Good. I like hand holding. It's nice.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
And FYI, the Palm TX can actually be had for quite a bit below list price. And several ebook sites recommend it as a reader.
What kind of ebook sites are you talking about, Rivka?
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Fictionwise.com. eReader.com. Mobipocket.com.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Sony being Sony, I'll bet it will be so crippled with DRM that I won't be able to use it to read plain old text files.

according to them, you can view PDFs and text files on it.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

But not mobipocket files or pdb files, and that's half my (extensive) e-book library, so no Sony products for me. Same reason I'm not interested in Fictionwise's ebook; I'd have to replace too many books.

Hey, ebook companies? Build me a stripped down Palm with a book-sized screen that lets me install whatever ebook reading program I want, and I'll think about buying it. Until then, no way am I paying that much money for a one-purpose device that isn't as good as what I've got now.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
Fictionwise.com. eReader.com. Mobipocket.com.

[Big Grin] Those would be the ones, yes.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.