FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The best Internet riddle I'VE ever seen

Author Topic: The best Internet riddle I'VE ever seen
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
And I wouldn't mind some collaboration. I'm up to Level Four now, and... bewildered. I'll put a spoiler for what I've figured out so far down below, but I highly recommend getting at least this far by yourself. It's fantastic, and I'm sure it gets much harder as it goes on.

www.antiriddle.com

quote:
SPOILER FOR LEVEL FOUR

Okay, so for Level Four, I counted the slashes as numbers. With it, I obtained IP addresses, below. When I connected to them, they resulted in the following addresses (page titles given), every one of them with some connection to the UK.

66.249.91.99 Google
82.132.141.30 O2
213.115.112.126 D-Link United Kingdom
217.204.42.23 J. Sainsbury plc
82.132.141.30 O2
193.254.108.152 B. Braun Melsungen AG

I've tried entering each title seperately into the HTML, then all together. No result. I've tried plugging in 9.16.IP address, but that's obviously impossible. I have no idea what to do next. Any ideas?

END SPOILER

Be warned, I'm probably not going to check this often, since I'm really enjoying working this out on my own. And if you come up with a solution, PLEASE mark it as a spoiler (and preferably with what level it's for)! Otherwise... hope you have as much fun as I am.
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
man, those are hard! I'm pretty sure I haven't gotten that far, but I'm giving up at the one where the clue at the bottom starts out with "Dear Keanu"

this is going to bother me though. [Razz]

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

Do you want any hints?

Btw, Fugu, Tom, this REALLY seems like your kind of mindbender. Good luck if you try it.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

SPOILER LEVEL 4

It's quite possible he wants you to list his IP address.

I've been trying to work with this:

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/results.jsp?whoistoken=2

to find some answer. No luck so far. I'll keep trying.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

quote:

SPOILER LEVEL 4

I found his IP address.

I can't figure anything out with this. He is wanting to "list my titles".

I've tried listing:

"hostmaster" "hostmaster funktionen" "funktionen", the listed address, brown university, his IP address (with and without dots), his name (first last, first, last), student, his email address. I got nothing.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

quote:

SPOILER LEVEL FOUR

Heh, figured it out. Took forever, and it was so stupid. Hit me in the head.

Take the first letter of each company the IP is associated to, and it spells the answer. Lalo already has them listed above.

T_Smith
Member # 3734

Level five has made me curse. I know how to solve it, but I'm having a heck of time doing so.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

quote:

Spoiler Level 5

Ok, so flip the image upside down, and delete the orange out of the picture.

[ September 11, 2006, 12:40 AM: Message edited by: T_Smith ]

Lalo
Member # 3772

Yeah, I'm up to level six. My roommate saw level five instantly, while I was busy hitting myself for level four. Stupid riddle.

Not a big fan of six, either, though.

Also, wow, Nate! You're moving through this faster than I did, I've been chewing on this game since noon.

T_Smith
Member # 3734

I can not for the life of me figure out 6. Been staring at it for close to an hour total.
Don Domande
Member # 8287

- posted      Profile for Don Domande   Email Don Domande         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay - y'all got me hooked - what about level 9?

Even with the title of the page, I tried it as a T9 - nothing. Any ideas?

Posts: 51 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

give me the answer to number 6, and I'll get there.
Don Domande
Member # 8287

- posted      Profile for Don Domande   Email Don Domande         Edit/Delete Post 
You're going to hit yourself for number 6 - I did:

SPOILER ***********************

Look at the phone number...this is a phone NUMBER. Of course, you don't need to use the 1-800, but you do need the dash.

Want more?

Posts: 51 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Ok, that was stupid beyond reason. I'm pissed. More so than anything else in this riddle.
Don Domande
Member # 8287

Yeah...that was kind of my reaction to it, too. Ticked me off when I finally got it right - I had tried variations of the same solution, but it wasn't exactly right.

Just figured out 9 - looking at 10 now.

Don Domande
Member # 8287

Bleh - 10 was too easy - anyone know anything about ISO 3166-1 numeric codes?
Don Domande
Member # 8287

Okay...here's some hints on the next few:

***************** SPOILERS ******************

Riddle Seven:

Look at the title of the page - find a piano! But be careful - there's an extra hint in the poem about a guy who got something wrong. Do a google search to find out.

Riddle Eight:

Look very carefully at the picture. There's a hint to find a site that gives you another clue. Figure out what's different.

Riddle 9:

You'll need a phone, or a picture of one. The page title is somewhat misleading, but gives you a clue. BIG HINT - it spells a word.

Riddle 10:

This is an odd little phrase at the bottom of the page. Look it up, and see who the title refers to.

Riddle 11:

Look at the html code. This helps a lot.

Riddle 12:

HELP! Mathematical formula. I think.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.