FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What is it with Nucular and Nuclear? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What is it with Nucular and Nuclear?
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
I still pronounce the the c in Arctic,
Whoops

No diss meant to OSC, but it's still more widely considered correct to pronounce both Cs than to pronounce only the last one.
Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Are people seriously trying to say that Wednesday ought to be pronounced Wed-nes-day?

This whole notion of "correct" pronunciation really grates on my nerves, anyway. We ALL speak a dialect, and your dialect is no better or worse than my dialect. We have Standard English, but its main purpose, in my opinion, anyway, is to serve as a bridge between dialects. Standard English is good for formal speeches and writing.

People who pronounce words differently than you are merely pronouncing them differently, not wrongly. Their pronunciation is based on their background and particular dialect, just as yours is. I would bet that we wouldn't have to look far before we came up with a word that you pronounce differently than the "standard."

After all, if you want to talk "real" pronunciations, then lets go back to Old English--then we'll ALL be wrong. Pronunciations and spellings have changed so much that Old English looks and sounds like a completely different language. But the point is that the language patterns and shifts from Old English on to Modern English can be measured and seen.

Language changes. It always has, and it always will. And sometimes you won't like the changes. Too bad. And if you continue to whine about it, you just might be guaranteeing that people will continue to pronounce your "pet" words wrong--just to piss you off.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
People that pronounce "nuclear" as "nucular" really (no kidding) make me wonder: How are are able to read the word "clear"? [Confused]

I see "nuclear" as "nu"+"clear".

For me, the clear in "nuclear" is pronounced clEE-arrrr, and the clear in "clear" is pronounced clEEr. Do you say clear with two syllables? [Confused]

Wednesday is Wensday for me, but because I know theres that d there there is one of those almost-silent glottal stops in there. Like when you say little as li'l, you're not really saying lihhhl but li. l. There's something there, just not pronounced.

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
And... is this a midwest thing? My little brother, and about half the people I went to school with, pronounced "milk" as "melk". Anyone else run into this?

This is pretty common in the Utah dialect.

feel -> fill
fill -> fell
fail -> fell
fool -> full
full -> foal

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I pronounce new, noo, and nu all the same.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

For all you nucular naysayers, how do you say "comfortable"? Chances are you metathesize the /r/ and /t/, ending up with something like "comftorble" instead. You might also want to read about the phonotactical motivation behind the pronunciation of "nucular." In addition to phonotactic constraints and syllable sonority principles, there's also the fact that only two or three English words end in the sequence /cliər/. A lot more words end in the sequence /cjulər/, so there's also motivation by analogy.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
I pronounce the answers to "What are you doing?" and "Honey, why don't we ask for directions?" the same as the 'i' in Parliament.
Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

That's a neat Wiki, it makes me feel a little better about saying nucular when I don't think about it. Except, I definitely say comfterble as well.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

- posted      Profile for DaisyMae   Email DaisyMae         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be the first to admit irritation at words being pronounced incorrectly, but only if pronounced differently than I say them. I know of no one who says every word the way the dictionary advises. Different regions have pronounced words differently for as long as language has existed.

I used to go MAD in Utah when people would pronounce the words "sell" and "sale" exactly the same, mostly because this would cause tremendous confusion when trying to spell these words. Even in college, many people seemed unaware that one was a verb and one was a noun. In the same day I passed a Women's Soccer "Plant Sell" and then passed a car with a sign that read, "Must Sale."

But I'm just as guilty as the next person for conforming to regional dialects. Of course we're going to pronounce words the way those we learn the language from pronounce them. I never even realized until I was in college that people actually said the word "something" like it is spelled and not "suh-Uhm."

Language is constantly evolving. Whatever becomes the preferred mode of pronunciation for a word by the majority of the public becomes the correct form.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This is pretty common in the Utah dialect.

feel -> fill
fill -> fell
fail -> fell
fool -> full
full -> foal

You may be interested, in Utah, they have a "window in time" to look at this, the "Deseret Alphabet". That was a phononetical spelling scheme that was intended to make it easer for immigrants to learn English. It was only used for a few years, early on in Utah history ca.1850-60. When you actually sound the words out in the Deseret alphabet, you find that Utahns in the 1850's talked a lot like they do now. I had always thought it was a Danish influence. But, that is way too early. I have since had a linguistics guy tell me that it is similar to the "Vermont" dialect of the late 1800's. Anyway, they have been "putting the harse in the born" for a long time.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I've heard people talk about a reversal of "ar" and "or," but I have never heard it, though I've definitely heard people who pronounced "or" like "ar." I've had a couple of professors who have studied this phenomenon in Utah, and they've always talked about it as a merger, not as a reversal. They've even taken recordings, run them through a spectrograph, and then shown the scatter plots, and it's definitely a merger of "or" with "ar."
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as assuming stupidity over mispronouncing words, I get that all the time. I have a minor speech impediment. In jr high, while taking all accelerated courses after having taken the gifted courses in elementary, I had a teacher recommend me for special ed courses because with my speech impediment, there must be something wrong with my brain (I was already taking speech therapy courses and she knew that). I had an A in that course and she still couldn't believe that I was intelligent enough to be in her course because of the way I spoke.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
For the same reason that mispronouncing any word matters. Because it's wrong.
Of course. Anybody who doesn't speak with [insert MY accent here] is wrong. End of story.
[Roll Eyes]

Despite what living in such a self-centered country as your own may lead you to believe, people with southern US accents aren't the only ones who pronounce nuclear incorrectly (and I'm sure there are plenty of southern staters who pronounce it properly). People who have the same accent as me do it. It's not an accent thing, it's just a wrong thing. "End of story".

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
I HATE when people say q-pon for coupon, and when people say samwidge.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with BlackBlade. It's definitely sammich.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Wow. Porteiro said something sarcastic, and jebus took it literally.

In other news, do you hear that sound? It's the universe exploding.

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Elmer's Glue:
I HATE when people say q-pon for coupon, and when people say samwidge.

What do you say? Koo-pon? Of course it's Q-pon.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Congratulations. You're one of the approximately 31 percent of Americans who pronounce "coupon" wrong. [Razz] Notice that the letter sequence "cou" is never pronounced /kyu/ in English.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:
"My astronomy professor says "Nucular." Why does it even matter?"
quote:
...1. [My astronomy professor] showed up the first day and told us his lesson plan was 25 years old, that he wasn't too keen on technology so there would be no visuals, and he wasn't going to read the homework or give essay questions on tests.
2. He enouraged us not to study so that the curve would be low and we would have an easier time getting ok grades. he was NOT kidding...
...5. He suggested we not bother reading the book- he certainly never had.

point taken, but I mean, he is like, an actual astronomer, even if he isn't much of a teacher.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
For all you nucular naysayers, how do you say "comfortable"?

I say COME-fer-ta-bul. Just as it's spelled.
Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
[QUOTEpoint taken, but I mean, he is like, an actual astronomer, even if he isn't much of a teacher.

Heeheehee - but he's also a dolt! [Wink]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I pronounce nuclear correctly, but the snobby comments I've seen in this thread make me want to mispronounce it.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Franktly I couldn't give a care either way or the other. Grammars and dictioning and allocution are strictally personell.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wow. Porteiro said something sarcastic, and jebus took it literally.

In other news, do you hear that sound? It's the universe exploding.

[ROFL]
quote:
Congratulations. You're one of the approximately 31 percent of Americans who pronounce "coupon" wrong. [Razz] Notice that the letter sequence "cou" is never pronounced /kyu/ in English.

I'm sorry, did you see where the descriptivist went? He was just here a second ago . . .
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:

Sure it is. I can think of at least one word in which the letter sequence "cou" is pronounced /kyu/ in English.

Hint: You snip them out of the newspaper.

Dude, if 31% of Americans say it that way, you can't call it wrong. Particularly when that 31% includes me.

Lisa
Member # 8384

Comfortable. That's a good point. I'm no longer going to give people a hard time about nukyular. Because I do pronounce it "comfterbul".
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Dude, if 31% of Americans say it that way, you can't call it wrong.
By that standard, I'm betting you can't call "nukyular" wrong either. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Interesting. Did you read what I posted right before you posted that?

Also, it's different, because I'm not part of the whatever percent of Americans that mispronounce nuclear.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
I'm sorry, did you see where the descriptivist went? He was just here a second ago . . .

I say "coupon" with /kju/ too, just so you know. I was just trying to point out to Lisa that she isn't as right as she thinks she is. [Wink] Besides, a descripivist doesn't have to proclaim that everything is equally correct or acceptable. Even though many people pronounce "coupon" with /kju/, it's still often considered nonstandard.

Lisa: What I meant is that there are no other words in English with that spelling and that pronunciation. The pronunciation /kju/ is not supported by spelling or etymology, but I think it's a result of the fact that /ku/ is extremely rare in stressed syllables in English, while /kju/ is fairly common.

And now I'm wondering what percentage of Americans actually say "nucular." I'd guess it's a lot smaller than 31 percent, but I really have no idea.

Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Upon reflection, I've discovered that I pronounce "nuclear", "comfortable", and "coupon" correctly, most of the time.

However, the alternate pronunciations on all three words sound like things I've most likely said before, possibly many times.

So I don't exactly feel superior about them [Smile] .

I pronounce both c's in Arctic most of the time, I think, but I'm not sure which way is the "correct" way.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't even realize that anybody pronounces "coupon" in any other way than kyu-pon, but on TV today I heard people pronouncing it coo-pon. Weird.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

To be honest, I kind of wonder about those numbers for "coupon" from the dialect survey. In my own experience, the pronunciation with the inserted "y" sound is far more common.
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Everything I need to know I learned from Star Trek. Including how to pronounce "nuclear". Unfortunately, now I mispronounce "vessel".
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
And... is this a midwest thing? My little brother, and about half the people I went to school with, pronounced "milk" as "melk". Anyone else run into this?

My brother and husband, who both needed speech therapy, both occasionally still do that. Also "pellow" instead of "pillow."
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:
Everything I need to know I learned from Star Trek. Including how to pronounce "nuclear". Unfortunately, now I mispronounce "vessel".

There's more than one way to pronounce "vessel"?
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Wessel!
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
That was seriously one of the funniest parts of ST4. A Russian during the Cold War asking to see our 'nuclear wessels.'

(Reference was provided for the 2 or 3 non-Trekkies on Hatrack)

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
What's a "Trekkies"?
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.