FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Left is Bankrupt...Will Air America Fold?

Author Topic: The Left is Bankrupt...Will Air America Fold?
Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
As should come as a surprise to no one, Air America, that esteemed bastion of liberalism on the radio, is going to file for bankruptcy. http://thinkprogress.org/2006/09/13/air-america-bankruptcy

It is kind of fitting that a group as bankrupt of ideas as Al Franken's Air America has to file for bankruptcy. Seriously, anyone surprised by this? Who listens? Who wants to sit in their car and listen to Al Franken’s nonsense or listen to Jerry Springer pontificate? I'm suprised they've lasted so long. Good luck to Clear Channel, but in the end Air America will be just another sad, near forgoten memory.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Mig, nice to see you around and active in the world! How's life treating you?

---

Edited to add: I've enjoyed listening to Al Franken while driving through the day, although his humor is not really what I'm into (more the reporting for me). Jerry Springer was surprisingly sane-sounding, although the history with him was such that I just never wanted to listen. I did have a lot of appreciation for Stephanie Miller and Randi Rhodes (sp?), though. Very smart women.

When Robert Kennedy would speak on "Ring of Fire," I kept thinking he was ready to hack up a lung. Also was too radical in persona and rhetoric for me.

I'm surprised to hear that Air America is filling for bankruptcy, but I haven't read the link yet. I'll read up on it later for my own curiosity.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's their website: http://www.airamerica.com/
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Better a financially bankrupt radio station than a morally bankrupt party Mig.

Incidentally, as soon as I saw this thread, before looking at the thread started I thought to myself "Hm, either Mig or DarkKnight." Not becuase you two are the only radcons on the board, but because you're the most vocally anti-liberal with seemingly little to support your position.

Have YOU ever listened extensively to Air America Mig?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy
Member # 9384

- posted      Profile for Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy           Edit/Delete Post 
Of course Air America went bankrupt. Conservatives cornered the market on ranting lunatics on the radio decades ago.
Posts: 87 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Better a financially bankrupt radio station than a morally bankrupt party Mig.
You mean there's a political party out there that is NOT morally bankrupt?

Where?

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
Mig, nice to see you around and active in the world! How's life treating you?

ClaudiaTherese, I'm happy and hope you are too.

Lyrhawn, admittedly I've never listened to it. It only airs on two South Florida markets (West Palm and the Keys) but nowhere near me. But some of the more outrageous statements made by some of the hosts have gotten a fair amount of attention and tell me all I need to know about what constitutes reasoned opinions on that network. Especially Rhodes, who I gather is the most wacko host. Refresh my memory, didn't she once accuse Buch of liking to see people drown and liken him to Fredo from the Godfather as a guy who should be "taken out."

Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Scott -

Libertarians?

Mig -

Are you seriously going to try to play the "Liberals are the craziest on air personalities, and that's why they are off the air" card? From a guy whose party worships RUSH LIMBAUGH!? You have no shame.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Libertarians?

[Big Grin]
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
I do think it would be an interesting study to see where right and left people get most of their information. In my uninformed opinion on this topic, it seems that talk radio is either 'shock jocks' or right wing political shows. Left wing radio shows just don't seem to catch on. I suspect the left does better on the web than the right does, but that is purely a guess. I don't make anything out of Air America not doing well on the radio. As far as I know, radio has not traditionally been a place the left has done well for whatever reason.
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
^
What DK said.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I listen to Air America most days for at least awhile. I listen to Al Franken sometimes, but I like his writing better than I like his show, and I'm also usually working when he's on. I do like both Stephanie Miller and Randi Rhodes...and, Mig, I find her a lot more reasonable than most of the conservative pundits I've listend to. And I have listened to the conservatives, because before Air America started broadcasting here, that and the preachers were about all the talk that was on the radio around here.

I certainly hope Air America stays on the air. Especially since they gave Steve Earle a show. [Smile]

But, yeah, ClaudiaTherese, I agree with you about Kennedy. He always sounds like he's strangling on something. Quite irritating, so I rarely listen to that show.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I have deliberately arranged my life so that it is unnecessary for me to listen to talk radio of any kind.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
General Sax
Member # 9694

- posted      Profile for General Sax   Email General Sax         Edit/Delete Post 
I am generally not politically minded , but the party of Bill Clinton and Ted Kennedy can hardly be considered to hold the moral high ground. It seemed to me that John Kerry in the last election was so desperate to be president that he was willing to say anything at all, I seem to remember a promise to have the paralyzed walk and those with Parkinson's healed. It seems to me that Republicans are held to a higher moral standard by their core constituents. I hope wading in in such a conversation is acceptable.
Posts: 475 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by General Sax:
It seemed to me that John Kerry in the last election was so desperate to be president that he was willing to say anything at all, I seem to remember a promise to have the paralyzed walk and those with Parkinson's healed.

I don't have any quotes handy (although neither, I notice, do you), but I would wager that this was from a statement on stem cell research, and was almost certainly not a "promise" to do these things, but rather the suggestion that these things could be made possible by allowing embyronic stem cell research. I haven't read anything about regenerating the neural connections severed in paraplegics, but certainly embyronic stem cells have allowed remission of the Parkinson's analogue in mice, making it highly probable that a cure could be made.

quote:
It seems to me that Republicans are held to a higher moral standard by their core constituents.
Ummm... this is the Republican Party we're talking about, right? The ones who lied about their reasons for attacking Iraq, turned a national tragedy to an opportunity for political advantage, made fearmongering the norm, and are currently embroiled in a major lobbyist fraud scandal? I'll be the first to grant that the Democrats aren't angels by any means, but the Republicans have taken what little moral ground they ever had to stand on and stamped it into a sodden pit.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not at all surprised to see Air America file for bankruptcy. Their attempt to create something equivalent to the conservative talk radio universe, out of whole cloth, all at once was bound to fail. It has take the republicans decades to get were they are (in talk radio).
Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, it seems like Mig is creating some sort of tone-control.

Lyrhawn, is the GOP truly 'morally bankrupt' as you seem to be implying?

General Sax, a higher moral standard such as that of Newt Gingrich the adulterer or Rush Limbaugh the drug addict? Such as the (primarily Republican) politicians involved in all the Jack Abramoff scandals? This higher moral standard seems to be pretty darned thin to me.

Tarrsk, the lies proven where? Democrats don't also use 9-11 as a political tool? Fearmongering wasn't already the norm? Democrats aren't also-admittedly to a smaller extent-involved in that scandal?

Hooray for partisanship!

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palliard
Member # 8109

- posted      Profile for Palliard   Email Palliard         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried listening to Air America, but I just didn't find it entertaining. The hosts they had just weren't that engaging, and they didn't really do anything to expand the format. That's bound to doom any talk radio program.
Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
The left isn't bankrupt. It has plenty of great new ideas not seen in this country in years.

1) Anti-war/Pro-war, at least we are not bad-at-war.

2) Cronyism is more anti-business, anti-market than regulation ever could be.

3) When liberals forget fiscal responsibility they give money to the poor. When self-proclaimed conservatives forget fiscal responsibility they give money to the rich. Speaking as one of the poor, you know whom I favor.

4) Loyalty is a great quality to search for in ones minions. Competence is a better one.

etc. etc.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
I have deliberately arranged my life so that it is unnecessary for me to listen to talk radio of any kind.

I miss being able to catch Talk of the Nation (especially on Fridays) and Fresh Air on a regular basis.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
TotN and Fresh Air aren't so much talk radio as they are news shows.

Because, despite NPR's biases, they ARE well done, and have the veneer of civility.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
See, Mig? The only thing partisan rudeness encourage more partisan rudeness in response.

Try discussing issues, instead of simply stating conclusory opinions based on hyperbole and overgeneralization.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
TotN and Fresh Air aren't so much talk radio as they are news shows.

Because, despite NPR's biases, they ARE well done, and have the veneer of civility.

What constitutes "talk radio", exactly? Maybe I've been misunderstanding the term.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
people should vote for the Communist Party of the USA.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

C'mon Tom, all talk radio isn't that bad. Driving through the Nevada desert (not that there's anything else to Nevada I guess) late at night, not much beats listening to Coast to Coast AM. If it weren't for the people calling in saying they are Marilyn Monroe's reincarnation and currently floating around their bedroom as they tell their latest UFO story, I don't know how I'd make that 700 mile drive to my parent's house.
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I like to listen to discussion on the air more than music, mainly due to my difficulties with "getting" the latter. Public radio is my first choice, but some countryspace didn't have it readily available while driving around, and sometimes it would be music programming (classical, Celtic, what have you). Air America was always my second choice if PR wasn't what I needed.

---

Edited to add: I tried books on tape, but I found myself getting dangerously involved with plotline while driving. One of Card's books had me banging my forehead on the steering wheel in frustration (another "terrible choice"), and I realized the error of my ways.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
The black helicopters are coming to get me!
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Dan -

Well said, succinctly put.

Rakeesh -

Not entirely, no. Their moderates hold the keys to whatever is left of moral high ground in that party. Lincoln Chafee and John McCain moderates.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Really? So, the far-right Republican party is morally bankrupt then?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

If not bankrupt, their account is running on fumes.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Then I guess we must have a difference in accounting methods, Lyrhawn. 'Morally bankrupt' is not a term I throw around without the overwhelming presence of actual malice and selfishness, something I think both mainstream parties-even their farther leaning segments-lack in general.

What issues embodied by the more conservative members of the Republican party do you think make them morally bankrupt-or close to it, although it seems pretty clear to me you do think they are actually morally bankrupt.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to think that the Republican party (distinction important) is 'morally bankrupt,' the best place to start is to poke fun at their complete ideological about-face that started with their 1994 'Contract with America' ascent.

Once upon a time, a fella would tell you that the Republicans were JUST what we needed to shrink government bloat and defend our liberties and privacies from the overweening arm of the Momma State. The Democrats, see, were paying lip-service to ideological issues but were really just using tricksy scummy legislative powerhousing, and shoveling opportunity at monied interests with lobby connections; the common man (and his interests) got drowned out in the rush to service anyone who could buy the congressman's time.

And, by god, if we shove out the Democrats in 1994, we are dead positive that an empowered Republican party would NEVER reach (or exceed) the same level of indolent, bullying, pork-fed excess that the Democrats achieved! And they certainly wouldn't become more gratuitously scandal-ridden than the Democrats in half the time that it took Democratic leadership to go to seed, would they?

Whoops =(

It appears the corruptions of power are bipartisan. The President, meanwhile, believes the solution must be to undo some of the checks and balances constraining his office, in the name of security matters.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, I have a rant prepared about political talk-radio:

quote:
Talk Radio: Where windbags with volume control dials attempt 'informativity by attrition,' bleating things until they become true, and the most popular pundit-jockeys are wrong so consistently that people have literally stopped bothering to even list their mistruths. It's a world for people who like to vigorously agree with a comfortably affirming perspective that they want to believe is the "real story," and political talk radio is willing to service the fact that they're gosh-durned fools who all but openly announce that they want to be lied to.

I absolutely love watching people get their daily enabling fix for cognitive dissonance -- it's an outright morbid fascination of mine -- and I'm amused that anyone could fail to understand by now that partisan talk radio and rabidly political blogs are among the most efficient means towards being greatly misinformed and untenably biased.

TL;DR ["short"] edition:

Trusting political talk radio to inform you is an incredibly efficient way to be full of s___.

It's just such a shame that -- with Air America gone -- this is a uniquely Conservative phenomenon again! [Smile]
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm willing to let Hatrack buy them out (Air America) and we could take over.

I could see it now:

The Dag Legal Review--bashing callers on what's legal and what isn't. It could even be a game show.

Then there is the Bob & DK Comedy hour.

The Hatrack Cooking Show.

Blayne's China Pattern

We could bring back talk to talk-radio. Not screaming, or lieing, or accusing. Just talk.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.