FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I hate anti-tobacco commercials (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I hate anti-tobacco commercials
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
That's how I feel about Louisiana political ads. Hi, I can't vote here. Move along.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
thetruth ads are horrible. What do the evils committed by tobacco companies thirty years ago have to do with whether or not I should smoke?
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
thetruth ads are horrible. What do the evils committed by tobacco companies thirty years ago have to do with whether or not I should smoke?
I use the same justifications for why I don't vote. [Wink]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
They're so annoying.

Me, too. They're so self-righteous and obnoxious.

And now they're getting all myspacey. Yes, I made up an adjective. It's so fitting, though.

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Still waiting on an outline for a GOOD anti smoking commercial. As well as whether or not it would work to brodcast advertisements that were over the top in favor of smoking as a way to deter people since being strongly critical ENCOURAGES smoking apparently.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I mentioned the outline for good commercials:

Have an actual person who has had smoking related problems discuss them. "Hi, I'm 30 and I started smoking when I was 15 because I thought it was cool. I had to have a lung removed because of cancer, and now I can't walk to the corner store without huffing and puffing. Don't smoke."

Or get some celebrities for the kids. "Hi I'm a famous athlete. If you smoke, your lung capacity goes down X%. Try doing this when you're bent over trying to catch your breath." *athlete does awesome move* "Smoking is for losers. Don't be one."

In other words, get to the point, be real, don't be a douche. I don't want to see some idiot harping on how stupid smoking ads are or how some study done on executives said they had a dumb idea 10 years ago.

I don't want anyone in the add to have a bullhorn, pretend they're trying to sell something, yell at random people on the street and show their reactions, or do something idiotic and make a lame metaphor between their behavior and a smoking campaign idea some random marketing team considered.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I think a good anti-smoking ad would deliver just the facts, no "clever" gimmicks or hyped up, unrealistic situation. It would also deal with the present effects of smoking on the person, not on the past lies of the big tobacco companies, or any political or economic shiftyness. That won't convince me I shouldn't smoke, but I suppose it might make me stop buying that brand (but it would have to be pretty bad, 'cause I love my Camels).

I also think an effective strategy would be to focus more on the monetary effects of smoking. Add up the figures of a year smoking a pack a day, two years, five, whatever. I tend to think about that more than health factors.

If the anti-smoking commercials were just a regular talking head type guy with a few charts and graphs giving me facts and not judgements, it would go a long way. I doubt it would work, mind you, but it wouldn't annoy the bejesus out of me.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Jux, what "The Truth" ads represent is an attempt to realize many of the excuses people still use to smoke were created by liars. And no where does it claim that those lies stopped forty years ago, or twenty, or yesterday.

Many of the lies laughed at in "The Truth" commercials are still used to sell cigarettes in third world countries.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw one about how smoking increases belly fat in teens (which I don't know that I believe) and I found it incredibly offensive. Basically, the ad was, "Look how disgusting fat teens are. Don't smoke or you'll be fat and disgusting, too." It was just plain cruel.

In my experience, kids have had anti-smoking, anti-drug, etc. campaigns shoved down their throats for so long that they don't even register anymore. When my 4th and 5th graders had DARE Day, I asked them what they'd learned. The answers were either, "We got t-shirts" or "We got to miss an entire day of school."

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terrd
Member # 9734

- posted      Profile for Terrd           Edit/Delete Post 
The anti-smoking camaign is just "the man" trying to put down yet another group of people. The commercials are totaly stupid and anoying, personally I smoke a sig every time i see one just in defiance. All this talk about second hand smoke and smokeing kill is bull. More people die every year just by being passagers in cars then die of second hand smoke. so where are the anoying "dont second hand ride in car commercials?" or fat people, where are all the anti-krispy cream commerials. i mean come on sure its not good for you but then not much in our world is anymore with the advent of fast food globle warming and industry why waste so much time and money targeting such a petty thing. On another note funnest anti-drug commerial ive ever seen was the one with 4 black guys in a car full of smoke ordering food,(case of the munches) and giggleing, then runnign over a kid. only message i got from it is just how racist tv net works can be. to me all it was was a play on sterotypes and should have been planed with alittle more tact.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't care about getting lung cancer, or anything like that.
I don't smoke because it smells bad.
Also, they are really expensive.

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Terrd: Either you're really into self-inflicted eugenics or you're really good at satire. I can't actually tell.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I remember seeing an ad for Passion of the Christ and thinking it was going to turn out to be a Visa ad.
[ROFL]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I generally tune out the Truth ads, but I listened to the one I heard today about the flavored cigarettes. At the end, the guy talks about how the flavors were real ideas cigarette manufacturers came up with, in 1972.

Holy cow, stop the presses! 34 years ago cigarette manufacturers had a crazy idea! Thank goodness I know that, because I was totally going to start smoking, but now, forget it. [Roll Eyes]

The only way those ads would work is if they come out with a new Truth ad, in which they tell us that all the other Truth ads were designed by an ad agency with mental defects due to smoking. If smoking makes you think up moronic ads, I can see how you might want to avoid it. Nobody wants to be that lame.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pooka:
I guess this past monday marked 5 years that I haven't watched network TV apart from the Olympics. I remember seeing an ad for Passion of the Christ and thinking it was going to turn out to be a Visa ad.

For Eternal Salvation, there's Jesus Christ. For everything else, there's MasterCard(R).

In all seriousness, I don't really have an opinion as to smoking ads, but as to the "coolness" factor, I stay away from people who smoke. I refuse to date or kiss a smoker, and I won't ever marry one. I, personally, will never smoke. My mom smoked while she was pregnant with me and my sister, and we both ended up having rpetty serious asthma and other problems because of it. Luckily, neither of us were born addicted to nicotine, but the doctor said that was rare, and it helped that our dad forced my mom to cut back on smoking while she was pregnant.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
I use the same justifications for why I don't vote. [Wink]
I don't understand what you're trying to say. I also find the fact that you don't vote suprising. Or does the wink mean you don't mean it? *is confused*

As for smoking ads, I don't think they convince anybody that isn't convinced already. Their over the topness seems counterproductive.

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by Mrs.M:
I just saw one about how smoking increases belly fat in teens (which I don't know that I believe) and I found it incredibly offensive. Basically, the ad was, "Look how disgusting fat teens are. Don't smoke or you'll be fat and disgusting, too." It was just plain cruel.

That's horrible!

I saw an ad yesterday for some stop smoking product that kept saying things like, "Bikinis or bronchitis? Size 8 or lung cancer?" It was all about how apparently, a lot of women put of quitting smoking because they're afraid they'll lose weight, and Product X helps them lose less weight, or something. I thought that one was bad enough.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused]

Most people gain weight when they quit smoking.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I know that, but the way they presented the commercial made me sad. I'm not sure why.

-pH

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.