FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Who's your favorite Disney villain? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Who's your favorite Disney villain?
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm watching Fern Gully right now, and I think Hexxus is my favorite. He's the only one who consistently gave me nightmares as a child, and now watching the movie again, I love the way he's drawn, and his "Toxic Love" song.

So who's your favorite?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Scar.

ADDED: I like his dripping sarcasm, and I think "Be Prepared" is a wonderefully evil song.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Freakin' Ursula.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Scar, seconded.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Jafar was awesome.

(Fern Gully wasn't Disney)

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

It wasn't? Hm, I could've sworn it was.

I liked Scar a lot, too. The Lion King had great songs.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Scar, but Jafar seemed alot more charismatic to me.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Alladin.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Heh.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
The Queen from Snow White, or the queen from Sleeping Beauty. Evil royal women are always the worst.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

How about the Queen of Hearts?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I like that song.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

You know she's always your best bet.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

In all honesty -- I really like Prince John.
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I love them all, but I wanted to BE Maleficent when I was little [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Scar for me as well.

Although I like Ursula, too.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Ursula- she scared me a lot as a child.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I remember when I saw Ursula, she scared me so badly that I had to wait in the hallway of the movie theatre.

-pH

Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Although on second thought when I was 8 and went to go see the Lion King- "Be Prepared" freaked me out to no end. I think it wasn't so much the song as the visuals- the green smoke, the hyenas and the skulls.

But when I was really young Ursula scared me. I don't know who it would be- they are both the evil villains that scare me the most- the seducing kind. Scar pretends to be the good uncle, and ursula tries to grant Ariel's desires. I don't know...

Tie- between Scar and ursula.

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citadel
Member # 8367

- posted      Profile for citadel   Email citadel         Edit/Delete Post 
Hades from Hercules, and of course Jafar. Oh and Gaston.

Frollo from Hunchack of Notre Dame is the darkest Disney villian I think.

"Gaston, you are postitively primeval!" "Why thank you Belle!"
- Belle and Gaston

"...while the little ones play on the floor with the dogs. Oh, we'll have 6 or 7. Dogs? No, Belle! Strapping boys like me! Imagine that."
- Gaston and Belle

"How can you read this? There's no pictures! Well some people use their imaginations."
- Gaston and Belle

Posts: 89 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Maleficent was the scariest IMO

Scar probably did the MOST damage out of any Disney Villain (Bonus points for pulling Jeremy Irons to do the voice)

I liked the way they defeated Jaffar more so then any other, allowing his own ambition to defeat him was a good strategy.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooo, good question. I had a huge fear of Ursula when I was a kid, but was incredibly fascinated with that movie. However, I also have a huge appreciation of Jafar. In fact, I'm pretty sure that they took the character of Ursula, and made him a dude and wala, gave birth to Jafar. Both have the same traits (patient, smart, lust for power to rule that which they are subject to, dabble in dark arts, cunning). Both are incredibly great villians, but Ursula was far more scary, and smarter- she wasn't tricked, she was stabbed with a boat. She didn't employ comic relief, she employed evil scary eels. AND she had a solo with a catchy beat!
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Cruella DeVil: the hair! the voice! the obsession with black & white with accents of red!

Yummy.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Totally Maleficent. With Snow White's stepmother as a fairly close second and probably Jafar as #3.

Amos Slade (Fox & Hound) wasn't exactly a villain but I remember thinking he was a really mean meanie as a kid.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Gotta go with Cruella too. She's scary because of all Disney villains, she's the closest more or less to an ordinary human being, someone you could meet sometime.

Got one of the better songs, too.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
I remember when I saw Ursula, she scared me so badly that I had to wait in the hallway of the movie theatre.

-pH

Just for this one time, I am really laughing at you. [ROFL]
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
Gotta go with Cruella too. She's scary because of all Disney villains, she's the closest more or less to an ordinary human being, someone you could meet sometime.

Got one of the better songs, too.

I have met somebody like her... Scary indeed.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Maleficent and Jafar were the best Disney villains.

Cruella Deville just wanted clothes. Jafar and Maleficent wanted to rule the world.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Launchywiggin:
Cruella Deville just wanted clothes. Jafar and Maleficent wanted to rule the world.

And she was willing to do so much ill for so little gain.

That's EEEeevil. [Smile]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Maleficent and Cruella DeVil for reasons already stated.
Captain Hook because the hook and mustache were freaky but his the fear of the tic toc alligator fascinated me.

[ September 16, 2006, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: sweetbaboo ]

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hugh57
Member # 5527

- posted      Profile for hugh57   Email hugh57         Edit/Delete Post 
Michael Eisner.
Posts: 241 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

[ROFL]
happymann
Member # 9559

- posted      Profile for happymann   Email happymann         Edit/Delete Post 
Shan-Yu gets my vote for all-around badness.

And McLeach cause George C. Scott is amazing.

Posts: 258 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Scar, no question about it. There are plenty of decent Disney villains, but he and Ursula were the only ones who could properly wield sarcasm.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
Maleficient. I love her.
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
The demon(balrog?) from Fantasia
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Scar was always my favorite -- the only one i felt actual sympathy for and that i thought had a decently developed personality for a cartoon bad guy. The part at the end always made me cry, even though he deserved, i guess, to die, for the murder he committed. but he's the only villain as a child that i remember sympathizing with.
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
The demon(balrog?) from Fantasia

Chernabog

BTW, everyone, Disney provides a site that lists ALL the villans:
http://disney.go.com/vault/archives/villains_ai.html
http://disney.go.com/vault/archives/villains_jq.html
http://disney.go.com/vault/archives/villains_rz.html

Eisner's not listed. Go figure.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
I always though Madame Medusa and her alligators from The Rescuers were pretty bad. She reminds me a lot of Cruella, who took entirely too long to be mentioned in this thread.
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Medusa is genuinely scary on a different level from most Disney villains. She is believable, while most of them are not. She is the sort of person DCF and the police deal with on a regular basis.

I think most people are listing villains they find more likeable, in a delightfully wicked sort of way. Not that, say, murdering your brother and taking his mate is morally acceptable, but that their actions are so over the top that we get to focus on their personalities and less on their actions. Medusa is not, I don't think, "delightfully" wicked--she's just a scary mean bitch.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The Beast in Beauty and the Beast.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Scar and Jafar I think. I don't remember the earlier villains all that well so I can't judge them (Maleficent, Cruella, etc).
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
The Beast in Beauty and the Beast.

Did we watch the same movie? Or is this from one of those non-Disney, "Beast does some really nasty stuff to Belle that we would rather not describe on the box" video releases?
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a joke.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
The Horned King. He has the greatest death scene Disney ever did.

Oh, and Hades as a runner up. [Smile]
Long live Lord Pluto!

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan: I think you mean Chernabog

I can't post the link but just search:

Chernabog (Fantasia)

in the wikipedia search.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I don't think it's a joke; I think it's a review. [Wink]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Malificient was scary. Was Rockadoodle Disney? It's the only movie that ever REALLY left me with nightmares as a kid.

As for a different category, favorite animal sidekick in cartoon, Batty from Ferngully wins.

"Are you sure?"
"I'm positive!"
"Only fools are positive."
"Are you sure?"
"I'm positive. ::Pause:: I fell for it!"

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Sher Kahn.

Come on, between the underplayed British accent and the desire not to conquer the world, just to eat the protagonist, he is Disney's Hannibal Lechter.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GravityPrevails
Member # 9740

- posted      Profile for GravityPrevails   Email GravityPrevails         Edit/Delete Post 
Gaston and Lefou from Beauty and the Beast because of the song they sing together.

Although, the elephants that made fun of Dumbo always made me cry.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.