FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Wire: Even Obama likes it!

Author Topic: The Wire: Even Obama likes it!
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
The tragedy is that not enough people are watching this masterpiece. Do you have to hear it from Stephen King?

Or this British guy? (some foul language in the clips)

What other tv show has novelists like Dennis Lehane, George Pelecanos and Richard Price on their writing staff?

Get on board people!

[ December 06, 2007, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: the_Somalian ]

Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
I watched it last night, and was more than a little bit impressed. Especially because I was prepared to really really hate it. I guess I'm on board.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
You're wrong. "Hiatus" is the greatest television program in the history of TV.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I am at my folks place, and they have HBO on demand, but there is "The Wire" reup, and the "The Wire" listen in the series section. I only really caught the first two seasons in highschool- so which episode of this new masterpiece do i start with?
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have HBO. What the heck is this show, and what makes it so awesome? The Slate article doesn't really tell me much, except that the writer wants to marry the show because it's so flipping new and deep.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for starting this thread. Otherwise I wouldn't have known that the new season had started. I don't really know anyone else who watches this show, even though it's pretty great. In fact, it seems to be so underappreciated that I'm surprised and delighted that it has even made it to season four.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, I actually really do believe what a hundred critics have said. 'The Wire' really is the best show in the history of television. I highly recommend it to anybody who hasn't seen it.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting...I've never even heard of this show before. Well... I don't have HBO either. But after looking at the article I'm intrigued. More reason for me to get Netflix.

(I still think BSG is the best show around.)

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiantReturns
Member # 9349

- posted      Profile for GiantReturns   Email GiantReturns         Edit/Delete Post 
the first 2 seasons where awesome but the 3rd disappointed me
Posts: 29 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
I don't have HBO. What the heck is this show, and what makes it so awesome? The Slate article doesn't really tell me much, except that the writer wants to marry the show because it's so flipping new and deep.

It's a police procedural with an omnicient viewpoint. Think Traffic with a more subdued style. It's hard to describe it's plot elements because as a visual novel it's pretty complicated, but essentially, the show is set in Baltimore. After the nephew of the leader of a major drug clan gets acquited of a murder charge, a cop by the name of Jimmy McNulty informs the judge of the case that nothing is really being done about this gang. The judge sets things in motion and a group of cops are assigned to investigate this gang crew. Survielliance is a theme of the show...hence, "The Wire."

But saying the above is like saying "'The Lord of the Rings'" is about a ring that must be destroyed."

Bah! Just watch.

Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I only heard of it on the radio the other day. I'll probably try to get the first season to watch on dvd.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
It's from the creaters of Homicide: Life on the streets, by far the greatest television drama of the nineties, and easily one of the top 2 or 3 dramas in the history of the Big 4 (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX). Season one and two were better than anything I've ever seen on television, easily, i still haven't seen season three yet. The sad thing is that nobody ever seems clued in to it. The same problem afflicted H: Lots, and by some miracle NBC held onto it for basically six years.

There's also a column from the excellent Tim Goodman (San Francisco's flagship paper) on it, but you'll need to avoid the two paragraphs where he discusses plot details of season three, they occure in the seventh paragraph of the piece so skip that if you haven't seen it before.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/09/06/DDG7BKV7HK26.DTL

Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

The other really interesting thing about the show, is that it isn't really about what it seems to be about.

What it's really about is all of us, our society, our country. That's where all of the 'unbelievably ambitious' quotes come from. Baltimore is a microcosm for the United States, in this show.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

quote:
Originally posted by graywolfe:
It's from the creaters of Homicide: Life on the streets, by far the greatest television drama of the nineties, and easily one of the top 2 or 3 dramas in the history of the Big 4 (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX). Season one and two were better than anything I've ever seen on television, easily, i still haven't seen season three yet. The sad thing is that nobody ever seems clued in to it. The same problem afflicted H: Lots, and by some miracle NBC held onto it for basically six years.

There's also a column from the excellent Tim Goodman (San Francisco's flagship paper) on it, but you'll need to avoid the two paragraphs where he discusses plot details of season three, they occure in the seventh paragraph of the piece so skip that if you haven't seen it before.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/09/06/DDG7BKV7HK26.DTL

Excellent article.
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

- posted      Profile for PUNJABEE   Email PUNJABEE         Edit/Delete Post 
No. Arrested Development is the best show in the history of TV.
Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

Arrested Development is a great show, which I love, but what in the world does it have to do with anything? Did I miss the moment when The Wire and Arrested Development came to be in competition?

A lot of people are saying that The Wire may be the best tv show ever. I've never heard anyone (other than just now) make the same statement about Arrested Development.

graywolfe
Member # 3852

Arressted Development is probably the greatest piece of comedic television I've seen alongside Seinfeld (at its peak), Blackadder (particularly Goes Forth and the Elizabethan version) and The Simpsons (as well as SNL '75-'79), but The Wire is the greatest show on television I've ever seen, end of story.
Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Well, I watched the first episode of season 4 of the "The Wire" on HBO this weekend. I didn't catch the entire 3rd season, but I gotta say, the production values are REMARKABLE.

The show looks like a very nicely filmed movie, moves very well, interesting characters, etc. I've never seen a TV show with such good looking camera work- somewhere between a major feature film, and Sopranos quality, with none of those SUPER-ANNOYING, CSI "cool" camera effects.

This has got to be the best looking show I've ever seen, discounting anything I could say about the show itself, which is also very very good. There is nothing worse frankly, than a cheep TV show, like CSI or Law and Order, that tries to look hip and cool, and ends up looking cheesy and annoying. This show though, it plays like a movie, I would watch it in a theatre.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Telperion the Silver:
(I still think BSG is the best show around.)

So true.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

Not so sure it's in the same hallowed ground as The Wire, but I've heard very good things.
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

- posted      Profile for PUNJABEE   Email PUNJABEE         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by graywolfe:
Arressted Development is probably the greatest piece of comedic television I've seen alongside Seinfeld (at its peak), Blackadder (particularly Goes Forth and the Elizabethan version) and The Simpsons (as well as SNL '75-'79), but The Wire is the greatest show on television I've ever seen, end of story.

No. AD is better.
Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

So you've said.
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a funny thing about "The Wire." I've only seen the first season. The problem is that as nice and as competent as these police people are, I think the work they are doing is misguided.

They spent the entire first season building a case against Avon, but why? Even if they catch him, the drug market was obviously such that a new distributor would move in.

Avon was a middleman between the suppliers and the addicts, he wasn't even a pusher. As engaging and well-written as the show was, the entire business left me thinking that all of that effort and those resources were misplaced. Sure, Avon was a more violent and better organized than the dealers before him, and sure, he made a mockery of the court system, but in terms of actually stopping or even slowing down the drug trade, his arrest was almost inconsequential.

You heard the drug dealers go on and on about, "The Game," but it seemed that the dealers and the cops were so thoroughly ensconced in a bigger game that they didn't see the futility of their work. It made me think that if the legal system spent less money and brainpower on enforcement, and more of both on community development, this wouldn't even be an issue.

[ September 23, 2006, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

quote:
They spent the entire first season buidling a case against Avon, but why?
Cause they're the Police. As for the futility of what they're doing.... You've hit upon one of the more important messages the writers of Season 1 were trying to convey. You're *supposed* to watch the show and ask these questions. Season 3 addresses them directly. It's sort of the whole point of the show.
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
That's good to hear. The main characters seemed to think that police work and being "real police," was so important and that Avon was such a big deal menace to society, and with all of that time and money and thought and technology was spent to catch him, and all I could think of was that misplaced pride and fear was getting to all of these people. Pride in the game. Pride in their job. Pride in the legal system, when it seemed that the only person who was doing any good at solving the drug problem was the biker drug addict from the AA meetings who almost got the snitch clean.

[ September 23, 2006, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

No, that's never what I took from it. I saw them as jaded professionals who knew the system was <expletive>, and as a result spent their time doing the best job they could, at their job to accomplish whatever goal was set before them, knowing that in the end, the system would be the system and nothing on the horizon would change beyond the limited individual details. That's what I always took away from H: Lots and The Wire. It's a very jaded and cynical, but honest view of what's going on from a crime reporters perspective, simple as that.
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd just like to drop in and show my Baltimorean pride, and say that I know two people in that show. The black female cop (? -- I've never watched it) was the mother of a girl in my class in eighth grade, and someone else in it was my dance teacher when I was little.

Feel free to ignore me -- it's just that those of us who live in Baltimore rarely get to say things like that. [Razz]

Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

quote:
Originally posted by Irami Osei-Frimpong:
It's a funny thing about "The Wire." I've only seen the first season. The problem is that as nice and as competent as these police people are, I think the work they are doing is misguided.

They spent the entire first season building a case against Avon, but why? Even if they catch him, the drug market was obviously such that a new distributor would move in.

Avon was a middleman between the suppliers and the addicts, he wasn't even a pusher. As engaging and well-written as the show was, the entire business left me thinking that all of that effort and those resources were misplaced. Sure, Avon was a more violent and better organized than the dealers before him, and sure, he made a mockery of the court system, but in terms of actually stopping or even slowing down the drug trade, his arrest was almost inconsequential.

You heard the drug dealers go on and on about, "The Game," but it seemed that the dealers and the cops were so thoroughly ensconced in a bigger game that they didn't see the futility of their work. It made me think that if the legal system spent less money and brainpower on enforcement, and more of both on community development, this wouldn't even be an issue.

You have touched on a theme of the show. According to creator David Simon the show is about:

"...how institutions have an effect on individuals, and how, regardless of what you are committed to, whether you're a cop, a longshoremen, a drug dealer, a politician, a judge, a lawyer, you are ultimately compromised and must contend with whatever institution you've committed to."

That sense of futility is deliberate. If you remember in season one no one really cared about Avon's Barksdale's activities until a judge pressured a few police majors, and the cop who brought the issue to light in the first place loses his rank for it by the end of the season. Time and time again central characters of the show want to move on to bigger targets but simply aren't allowed to. It is pointless, in a way, but that's sort of the point, er...

Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

quote:
"...how institutions have an effect on individuals, and how, regardless of what you are committed to, whether you're a cop, a longshoremen, a drug dealer, a politician, a judge, a lawyer, you are ultimately compromised and must contend with whatever institution you've committed to."
It's a profound point. Adam was struck with the same problem, and all he did was be the first man. At bottom, the problem comes with committing to institutions instead of thinking.

The trick, and this is no mean task, is to get high enough in the institution to defraud it, while at the same time, not letting it unduly corrupt you. As movie cliche as it sounds, I think it's one of the biggest problems of our time.

I don't have an easy answer, and I've spent a few years trying to wrap my head around the problem. It's often the case that the class of compromises and priorities that appeared necessary to produce something are not the same ones as those required to abide within the finished product. The result is that we import the builders priorites when living within something already built. In the Wire, this comes out in everybody so busy tryng to bust Avon that they don't think to consider why to bother, or people so busy trying to climb the ladder or maintain their prestige, they never thought about the role of their current occupation. And on those rare occasions when they did think about why they wanted to bust Avon or the true dignity of their job, they didn't do it very well for lack of practice. All of the wires, jargon, procedures, hadn't prepared them to consider this class of moral questions.

Tricky business, this.

[ September 24, 2006, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

the_Somalian
Member # 6688

quote:
Originally posted by Irami Osei-Frimpong:
That's good to hear. The main characters seemed to think that police work and being "real police," was so important and that Avon was such a big deal menace to society, and with all of that time and money and thought and technology was spent to catch him, and all I could think of was that misplaced pride and fear was getting to all of these people. Pride in the game. Pride in their job. Pride in the legal system, when it seemed that the only person who was doing any good at solving the drug problem was the biker drug addict from the AA meetings who almost got the snitch clean.

By the way, that character is played by singer Steve Earl, and David Simon specifically molded the character after him. Earl will also sing season 5's renditon of the intro (Tom Waits, Way Down In The Hole.) Also, bump!

[ June 30, 2007, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: the_Somalian ]

Andrew W
Member # 4172

- posted      Profile for Andrew W   Email Andrew W         Edit/Delete Post 
TL said:

quote:
A lot of people are saying that The Wire may be the best tv show ever. I've never heard anyone (other than just now) make the same statement about Arrested Development.
Well that's a surprise. I was just about to say that exact thing.
Posts: 83 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

I'm always vaguely disappointed when I see that a thread has been resurrected out of the blue without good cause or new info-

Is the new season about to start? Do you have some details? Spill it!

the_Somalian
Member # 6688

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
I'm always vaguely disappointed when I see that a thread has been resurrected out of the blue without good cause or new info-

Is the new season about to start? Do you have some details? Spill it!

No, not without good cause. Not enough people are aware of this brilliant show, hence random bumping.

Also, uh, Season 5 will center around the media, and stuff...

TL
Member # 8124

Wait. What? There's going to be another season? Really? Yay.
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

quote:
Originally posted by TL:
Wait. What? There's going to be another season? Really? Yay.

Yes. And Mcnulty will be back big time.
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

The New Yorker finally writes about "The Wire" in a long, long profile of the show and its creator.

The fifth and final season's teaser.

One of my favorite scenes from the series.

Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
[Dont Know] Why would McNulty start drinking again...

I liked him so much as a reformed dad working his way up. That's sad.

I watched every episode over the course of a month and can agree that it's a historically significant show.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

quote:
Originally posted by Launchywiggin:
[QB]
I liked him so much as a reformed dad working his way up. That's sad.

I'm saddened by this too, but for the character it probably goes with the job. It was strongly suggested at the end of the fourth season that he would be returning to his old gig in the fifth season.
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

quote:
Obama: "M*A*S*H and The Wire are my favorites."
source
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

The fifth and final season will start airing January 6th.

promotional clips

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.