FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Underrated movies (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Underrated movies
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Dangerous Beauty
Enlightenment Guaranteed

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Ultraviolet.

Oh, wait, this isn't the "Movies I wish had bankrupted everyone involved so they would never make movies again" thread.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Waking Life is very, very difficult to describe. It's done in an animation style that's sort of similar to A Scanner Darkly, from what I've seen in the previews- mostly, actual scenes were shot on video, and then turned into animation. It's sort of a series of segments- monologues, discussions- some of which tie into an overarching dream premise.

As I say, it's difficult to describe. Like a dream, it has a kind of wandering free-association to it.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:
Waking Life is very, very difficult to describe. It's done in an animation style that's sort of similar to A Scanner Darkly, from what I've seen in the previews- mostly, actual scenes were shot on video, and then turned into animation. It's sort of a series of segments- monologues, discussions- some of which tie into an overarching dream premise.

As I say, it's difficult to describe. Like a dream, it has a kind of wandering free-association to it.

The technique is called rotoscoping. [Smile]

I love Waking Life.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Raising Victor Vargas - manages to capture that sweet innocence of "first love" without over-sentimentalizing it. Adults in this movie are real, caring, characters whom the kids respect and admire.

Grand Canyon - Sort of a more metaphysical version of Crash. It is about the things that divide us--race, class, gender, distrust--and how with love and an open mind one could bridge those divides.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Billy Joel:
Waking Ned Divine
Caladar Girls
Billy Eliot

Yes Yes and Yes! Glad I am not the only one.

Farewell My Concubine
To Live
The Road Home

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:

I love Waking Life.

I hesitate to use the term only because it's sometimes used to describe any sort of animation done directly onto film, whether it's based on an image that was originally on the frame or not. Some of the birds in Hitchcock's The Birds were created using such a technique, for example.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:
quote:

I love Waking Life.

I hesitate to use the term only because it's sometimes used to describe any sort of animation done directly onto film, whether it's based on an image that was originally on the frame or not. Some of the birds in Hitchcock's The Birds were created using such a technique, for example.
Cool, you clearly know much more about this than I do!
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
You mean, they had painted (or whatever) the birds directly onto the physical film? *interested*

I am so very impressed with old skool special effects [Smile]

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Death to Smoochy, I'll second Dark City, and... even though everyone loves Princess Bride, it isn't shown often enough. As well, Rocky Horror Picture Show is never on TV.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:
Death to Smoochy, I'll second Dark City, and... even though everyone loves Princess Bride, it isn't shown often enough. As well, Rocky Horror Picture Show is never on TV.

Because RHPS *shouldn't* be on TV. It *should* be shown in a worn down, semi-abandoned theater at midnight, where they sell bags of rice, toast and umbrellas right next to the popcorn.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I really, really hate Rocky Horror. I mean, despise. Absolutely and positively despise.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

Well, RHPS isn't designed to be enjoyed as a movie. It's an experience.

I've tried to see the movie on VH1, as-is, without an audience. It's God awful. Actually, that's putting it lightly.

But with the right crowd, with the right participants and local narrators, it's an entirely different thing.

Plus, it helps if you're bordering on drunk.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I've been to the "experience" with the actors and audiance participation and crap. I still hated it beyond belief. My friends would try to drag me there every Saturday night. I don't see the appeal.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Phew, I thought I was the only person on the planet who didn't like it.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by MyrddinFyre:
You mean, they had painted (or whatever) the birds directly onto the physical film? *interested*

I am so very impressed with old skool special effects [Smile]

If you don't already, you will come to love and worship Michel Gondry.
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:
even though everyone loves Princess Bride, it isn't shown often enough.

Not everyone loves Princess Bride. [Evil] [Taunt]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
There's something wrong with anyone who doesn't love both The Princess Bride and RHPS. I'm guessing devil worship, plus heavy drug use, plus alien abduction, plus high grade fever, plus listening to Limp Bizcut.

It's not really their fault though, that kind of thing will sully anyone's judgement. [Dont Know]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

I DO like Michel Gondry, at least the two or three things I've seen of his. Also, Be Kind Rewind sounds like it will be absolutely adorable.
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
pH, Myr, you are not alone on the dislike of RHPS. Also, I've never seen The Princess Bride.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
RHPS -- ack.

I'll add
Quest for Fire. Cavemen, and not one word is in English (and no subtitles). You can still follow it easily.
The Quiet Earth. I watched the whole movie wanting to know how they justified the poster: a man on a beach watching Saturn rise on the horizon.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
Bugsy Malone - A gangster movie with all the parts played by kids. Starring young Scott Baio and Jodie Foster. I had to order the DVD from somewhere in Asia since they don't have it in the US. Totally worth the trouble I went to.

Amazon US has it
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Here's my list.
  • Gigli. No one gets to mock it unless they've seen it. If you like twisted Elmore Leonard type plots (think Get Shorty), you might like this as well. It's definitely B movie material, but the only reason it got lynched the way it did was that people were expecting Ben and Jen to do something like The Titanic.
  • Love That Boy. It's not what it looks like. It's about someone growing up and learning how to live, and it's really amazing.
  • Show Me Love. It's got subtitles and features teenaged characters who are (maybe) gay. It's also extremely true to life, in the way that "My So-Called Life" was.
  • The Troupe. This is an Israeli movie that takes place between the 1967 and 1973 wars. It's funny and touching. The first time I saw it, my Hebrew was terrible, and I relied on the subtitles. I loved the movie. Now, I understand the Hebrew, and think the subtitles are hilarious.
  • The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane. Jody Foster did this movie when she was about 16, but she looks like she's younger than that. Martin Sheen is in it, too, and he's not Jed Bartlett. Not even close. Jody Foster's acting is simply out of this world.
  • 12:01. Think Groundhog Day, but with a "scientific" reason for the day to be repeating. Add in some adventure and the possibility of saving someone you love from being killed. Add Helen Slater and Jeremy Piven, who are each good enough reasons for seeing a movie.
  • 12 Monkeys. Brad Pitt's character in this makes Captain Jack Sparrow look like an actuary (apologies to any actuaries, if we have any here). More Terry Gilliam goodness, and I'll never forget the huge geekfest after it came out, with theory after theory about what happened, whether things happened, and what was going to happen after the movie was over.
  • Electric Dreams. There's something seriously wrong with a world in which this movie isn't available (legally) on DVD. This was Virginia Madsen back in 1984.
  • Leon - The Professional (Uncut International Version). This movie did well, but no matter how highly it's rated, it's still underrated. It was chopped up in the US, because Natalie Portman's character was clearly romantically interested in an adult, and that made people uncomfortable. But I can't recommend the uncut version highly enough. Natalie Portman's acting was just purely out of this world. On a par with Jody Foster at her best. And speaking of uncut versions...
  • The Abyss. Cameron is a genius. And OSC did the novel version in tandem with the filming, so the actors actually used OSC's backstory to help inform their acting. The theatrical version was butchered, and didn't make any sense. See the full, director's cut. It's amazing.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I LOVE the Princess Bride.

But hate RHPS.

...does that mean I'm only a Satan-worshipping drug user?

-pH

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
There's something wrong with anyone who doesn't love both The Princess Bride and RHPS.

I'm ambivalent about the movie version of The Princess Bride. Maybe I would have liked it more if I hadn't read the book. The book is one of the greatest pieces of writing ever. The movie is a mere shadow. In the book, you can at least make out what Festil is saying.
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only person on Earth who couldn't even finish Waking Life? I love animation, and really appreciate it when it stretches boundaries and whatnot, but I found that film to be pointlessly pretentious. So much so that I started yelling insults at the TV while I was watching it. And I usually LIKE somewhat-pretentious, artsy-fartsy films.

Bad, horrible film. Just way too full of itself. And I am the ONLY person I know who's seen it and feels that way about it!

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

quote:
Originally posted by pH:
I really, really hate Rocky Horror. I mean, despise. Absolutely and positively despise.

-pH

Me, too. I have been forced to watch it on or around Halloween for years anow, and it never gets any less ridiculously stupid. I hate Rocky Horror.

The film that succeeded in being everythign Rocky Horror tried and failed horribly to be: Forbidden Zone (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080752/) If you hated RHPS, give this one a try some time. It's incredibly weird, and probably offensive to you, but boy, is it ever a million times better than RHPS.

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

quote:
Ultraviolet.

Oh, wait, this isn't the "Movies I wish had bankrupted everyone involved so they would never make movies again" thread.

I beg to differ. The more stupidity comes out of Hollywood, the more I get to laugh at it.

You should come with us when we see In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Movie. Uwe Boll. It's gonna be a scream.

B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
Boondock Saints
Coffee and Cigarettes
25th Hour
A Life Less Ordinary

Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
RHPS is one of the few movies I've ever walked out of
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Libbie:
Am I the only person on Earth who couldn't even finish Waking Life? I love animation, and really appreciate it when it stretches boundaries and whatnot, but I found that film to be pointlessly pretentious. So much so that I started yelling insults at the TV while I was watching it. And I usually LIKE somewhat-pretentious, artsy-fartsy films.

Bad, horrible film. Just way too full of itself. And I am the ONLY person I know who's seen it and feels that way about it!

My parents hated it. They thought it was stupid and boring. And they don't usually mind art-house films, either.

I haven't seen it.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
You should come with us when we see In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Movie. Uwe Boll. It's gonna be a scream.

You didn't need to name the movie; "Uwe Boll" is all I need to hear... He's doing "Postal" and "Far Cry"... I wonder if they're going to suck?
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd guarantee it.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Pfft, Boondock Saints is a lot of things, but it is not underrated [Razz]

(edited because for some reason my brain said underrated and my fingers typed overrated O_o)

[ September 23, 2006, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: MyrddinFyre ]

Libbie
Member # 9529

quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
quote:

You didn't need to name the movie; "Uwe Boll" is all I need to hear... He's doing "Postal" and "Far Cry"... I wonder if they're going to suck?
Hmmm, gee, I wonder! [Wink]
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Star, 12 monkeys is NOT underrated. Anyone you talk to would know about it, and it is on fairly often on SciFi channel. It is a great movie, though, one of the best.

Edit: And I agree, with I forget who said it ( [Wink] ), The book was much better than the movie version of The Princess Bride... but the movie was still amazing.

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I still haven't seen the end of 12 Monkeys. Every time I start watching it, something happens which requires my attention, or I get drunk and fall asleep.

12 Monkeys should not be used for drinking games.

-pH

Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Summer of Sam
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
"Noises Off"...if dry humor could ever cause you to fall over laughing, this is it.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, theres a movie called "Noises Off".

I thought of another one that was underrated.

Primer

Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
"Hamlet" with Ethan Hawke— an oft mocked masterpiece. Hamlet was written as a self-doubting college student, people, not as a confident middle aged man.
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

The Hamlet recommendation reminds me that I really liked "Titus," starring Anthony Hopkins (can't remember who directed it) back when I saw it years ago. I seem to remember that the costumes and sets were just REMARKABLE, and that they didn't butcher the Shakespeare part too badly, either. [Wink]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.