FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Holy crap, Justin Timberlake's CD doesn't suck.

Author Topic: Holy crap, Justin Timberlake's CD doesn't suck.
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so I've only listened to one track beyond the single. But the fact that I actually put that track in my mp3 player says a lot.

Congratulations, Justin. Two songs that I actually want to hear. [Hat]

Anyone else heard it?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
JT's been hangin' with Pharrell, you gotta get some talent after that.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Justified. I thought it was a throwback to Michael Jackson's Off The Wall and Thriller work. I am anxious to hear the new one.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not Justified. So there's no real evocation of vintage Michael (which was brilliant in the first. It was really good). It's much more techno (with just a little less distortion than the SexyBack single) though there are one or two slower songs. Still trying to figure out if I like it.

I have to say I'm not sure how I feel about Timbaland. Producing one song is one thing (as in Justified). Producing the whole album? I don't think so. I don't really like what he did to Nelly Furtado's new album either. It's like he took the parts of them I liked (and with Nelly Furtado, it was a lot) and basically removed that, put a really heavy industrial-techno beat (as in Maneater, almost the same beat in SexyBack), added some distortion and echo, and there you go. That's not to say there aren't some good songs. But no more than 3 or 4.

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. I didn't even know he does music.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
IanO just blew my mind.

I've always liked JT after he got out of the whiny Backstreet Boys or whichever of those groups he was in phase. He's not great, but darn if he doesn't put out some infectious, fun to listen to songs.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
After listening to 8 of the songs, I've decided this is a good album because it's hypnotic.

They should use it to put terrorists in a suggestable state.

Then again, I also have a low techno tolerance because most techno actually puts me to sleep. So I guess this is the right balance. Thumbs up.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

I like chillout techno, like on the Nip/Tuck (Kristy Hawkshaw, Royksopp, Junkie XL) soundtrack or Theivery Corporation or Massive Attack or Faithless. And I like some dance techno. But after listening to the album again, it's a bit much. Not playing to his strengths. He can sing and has a R&B sound. Why minimize that with too much distortion and echo?

Squick, why did I blow your mind?

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't expect that from you. Since I get the same reaction, I get it, but just wasn't expecting it.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mintieman
Member # 4620

- posted      Profile for Mintieman   Email Mintieman         Edit/Delete Post 
I do like this album. I completely disagree with the jibe against Timbo though, I think he carries the album despite JT, and it'd be nothing without him.

Not single heavy suprisingly, has alot of interestingly long tracks.

Posts: 122 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Trust me Ph. I will find a way to hate it. I'm just kidding, I'm not so obtuse- I actually liked the latest Kelly Clarkson thing.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
Okay, so I've only listened to one track beyond the single. But the fact that I actually put that track in my mp3 player says a lot.

I don't believe it!
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
IanO, Thievery Corporation is awesome. I just got turned on to them recently and love eveything I've listened to.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

Mintieman,

I just dislike what he did to Nelly Furtado. And now this album. Could be coincidence, I suppose. But then again, not. Either way, I don't really care too much for the latest albums. Funny, I feel the same way about Christina Aguilera. Keep in mind that I've never really liked her as a person and her music was OK. But then I listened to "Stripped" and I was amazed. It was consistently good and varied- a good mix of pop, rock, r&b, 70 soul. It was amazing. I was constantly surprised at the different styles she played with so well that showcased her strenghts. But her new album is mostly 'meh' for me. I had a similar reaction to Nelly Furtado's "Folklore" and "Whoah, Nelly".

I don't know. Mabye it's me. Maybe I just want them to redo the last album in a new way. I'd like to think not, since I like new things. But when the new album doesn't excite me like hearing the other one for the first time, I am disappointed.

Strider,

I found Thievery Corp on the "Garden State Soundtrack" (which is absolutely amazing. And if you like that, check out any of the the Scrub's soundtracks. Similar styles of music, very very cool.) Sweet Coffee is similar to Theivery Corp. I like Theivery Corp, but after a while it all runs together. So I like to mix it up with other stuff. The Sex Lounge/Erotic Lounge compilations have a lot of cool stuff that is consistantly different and includes Theivery Corp. If you like that sort of ambient-chillout-techno-samba-brazilian-reggae, also check out the Nip/Tuck Soundtrack.

Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I do, and I will...
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'm late to the party.

I like Timberlake -- always have.

This CD is not Justified. It's completely different, which is both good and bad. It's techno-ey and house beatish, with Timbaland all over the place. By the way, if you didn't already know it, Timbaland is a sonic mastermind.

It took me about three times through to really get into this CD, because I got distracted by the new John Mayer and the new Christina Aguilera (both of which are really good, too). But now I love it.

The songs are really long, and at first listen there's not much to sing along with. Catchy hooks will hit you during the second listen, though. It's experimental and interesting sounding, for sure. I'd really like to catch the tour for this album, but only in a club. I think a stadium tour for these songs would blow.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
When they played Sexy Back three times on the radio last night, I decided I never wanted to hear it again.

And it was stuck in my head.

But it was 1 am when I left work so I kept singing "we're bringing sleepy back".

::Scowls::

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.