FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » If you're still up, throw some ideas at me (possible mayfly).

Author Topic: If you're still up, throw some ideas at me (possible mayfly).
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
For the past two weeks, I have been unable to eat enough food to get up to the metabolic starvation line.

I'm noticing the effects more and more, especially since I'm not doped up on meprozine and vicodin all the time anymore.

I'm exhausted. All the time. But I can't sleep. And I'm incredibly irritable, and I can't keep a coherent thought. I find it nearly impossible to do anything that requires too much mental energy. And eating is exhausting in and of itself. Y'see, I can't open my mouth enough to fit, say, the skinniest hamburger in the world inside it. I've been trying to get my favorite foods to stimulate my appetite, but then I realize that I can't fit them in my mouth, or that I have to take tiny, tiny bites. And that means that it's so much work to eat that eating in and of itself exhausts me.

I keep meaning to get one of those mega smoothies from Smoothie King, except that I'm too tired to drive there. I only make it through work because there is a box of old, stale cookies that someone left there that I can break into tiny pieces and eat throughout the day. I'm really afraid that I'm going to waste away or something. I'm not even sure that I'm supposed to be drinking out of a straw yet.

And since I had to fire all of my so-called friends for their unwillingness to even return my calls when I asked for a ride to the hospital on Sunday, I'm pretty sure none of them are going to give a damn about bringing me food so that I don't continue to slowly starve.

Is there some kind of flavorless protein powder that I can just dump in my mlik or...something? I mean, I want more calories, but I want them to be at least kinda healthy.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HegemonsAcolyte
Member # 1468

- posted      Profile for HegemonsAcolyte   Email HegemonsAcolyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you considered trying something like Ensure? They are a food supplement shake. Come in chocolate, vanilla and strawberry.

If you don't mind my asking, why can't you open your mouth?

Also, in the one thread you mentioned getting your bf to try on a pair of your old pants. Can you ask him to get you some supplies?

Posts: 74 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I've been drinking the chocolate high protein Slimfast. I just get so sick of it. [Frown]

I can't ask him to get me things until he has time...he's having to play catch-up for everything he had to put off while he was taking care of me last week. I had my wisdom teeth out last Monday, all four were bony impacted, and there were a ton of complications. [Frown] My jaw does not love me.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
P- you need to start working those hot pads on your jaw to loosen them up a little bit- its been too long for you not to be able to open your mouth. Get out the heated stuff- warm water bottle, hot pad, and hot shower or bath, and start working that jaw to open it up. You need the heat, plus an anti-inflamatory to reduce the swelling.

Beyond that, melt icecream into milk and add protien powder.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HegemonsAcolyte
Member # 1468

- posted      Profile for HegemonsAcolyte   Email HegemonsAcolyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you ask someone at work to get you some things during their break or something?

Maybe you can try some different flavors... mix it up a little.. What does the dentist tell you to do?

Posts: 74 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

The dentist tells me heat and massage...which I've been doing. I actually sleep on a heating pad now (that has automatic shut-off). And stretching exercises. It's like by the end of the night I can open my mouth enough to nibble a quarter-pounder with cheese, but I go to sleep, and then I wake up and it's stuck shut again, and I have to go through the whole routine all over.

I probably should ask someone at work to get me something. Bah. I said something to one of my co-workers' girlfriends about it today, 'cause she hangs out there all the time, but...I dunno, I guess people figure since I'm thin, that I don't need food or...don't WANT food. I kind of feel weird even mentioning it because I don't want them to freak out and think I'm anorexic.

I really want more salty food. I'm getting sick of sweet-tasting things.

-pH

Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Whey protein tastes, well, milky. Ish. It comes in flavors, too. So that's an option. But it might be too similar to Slimfast for you (no idea, though -- never tried it).

Chicken soup?

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Soup! I can make soup. As long as it isn't chunky.

-pH

MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd recommend soup. A friend of mine had her jaw wired shut for a while after a bicycle accident, and she blended up all sorts of things into soup, as she had to drink all her food through a straw.

Oatmeal or similar squishy stuff might be good. Thinks like sweet potatoes, squash, well cooked carrots and potatoes, anything that doesn't take much chewing.

Yogurt is good too. Mix in some wheat germ for protein.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Cooking is exhausting. [Grumble]

-pH

HegemonsAcolyte
Member # 1468

Actually, I think your asking for someone to pick some food up for you will make them think that you are anything but anorexic.
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
Grits. Grits with cheddar cheese. Mmm. McDonald's milkshakes. Lots of calories. No cooking. French fries disintegrate pretty fast in your mouth too.

Yogurt. Creamy wonderful Yoplait. Mmm. Haagen-daaz sorbet in raspberry and strawberry. Yum-yum. Ben and Jerry's in Mint Chocolate Cookie.

Amy's Lentil Soup. Any soup. Mmm. Take off the lid, pur it in a bowl, put a paper towel over the top, microwave it, screw cooking. Put Saltines in to slowly fall apart in soup. Eat. Oooh, Amy's Mac and Cheese. Or Annie's. But you can microwave Amy's! Oooh, a nice vodka tomato bisque. With cheddar cheese. Not sweet.

Applesauce. Cream of wheat (you can make this sweet or salty or whatever - remember bread is made of wheat too, so anything that's good on bread should taste fine on cream of wheat. Or plain oatmeal for that matter).

Mashed potatoes. This may be the time to give those terrifying Country Crock microwaveables a shot.

Jamba Juice smoothies. Any smoothies.

I am so hungry now.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Lentils are cheap, easy, soft, small, and healthy. If you can't cook them yourself, Progresso lentil soup tastes incredible and requires pretty much zero chewing. Rissoto is another good one. And I know this is gross, but what my mom's patients do after they have surgery and their jaws are wired shut is put everything in the blender, with a little milk to liquidate things if necessary, blend it up, stick a straw in it, and drink it. Close your eyes and it won't be so bad.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think now is the time to worry about if what you want is healthy or not. If you are wasting away and the only thing you can get/ would want is milkshakes, then eat milkshakes. If you are too weak to shop or cook you are certainly too weak to be healing as well as you could be.

As far as food all of the suggestions sound good to me. One thing that I like that is healthy is a soy milk smoothie. I just put in soy milk, frozen fruit(usually strawberries), and then a small piece of fresh fruit for flavor. I know people that have added some plain tofu for protein which actually worked well.

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
V-8 and mashed potatoes helped my salty cravings when I had my wisdom tooth out last week.

And I became a big fan of the Banana Cream Shake Ensure.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Scrambled eggs are great for just having your wisdom teeth out and they don't require much cooking. I even know of a easy omelette recipe that requires almost no prep.

Take 2 eggs and put them in a ziploc bag. Mush them up with your hands to scramble them. Then fill the bag with ingredients that you like. I put lunchmeat torn into small pieces and shredded cheese and my daughter likes cherry tomatoes in hers. Then seal the ziploc bag and drop it in boiling water for 13 minutes. You will have a perfectly cooked omelette while you sit around on your tukhes. Add some cream of wheat or toast or a tortilla for some starch.

I don't recommend oatmeal since it is sticky and might be hard to get out of your teeth right now.

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Carnation Instant Breakfast tastes better than Insure. I've heard it's hard to find but I just saw a commercial for it yesterday, so it should be in at least some grocery stores.

Just drinking milk, like 2%, is helpful for weight. Drink that instead of water.

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I got some good drinks. And a smoothie. But I think I made my dry socket open up again. I thought I could drink with a straw by now! [Frown]

*dials emergency dentist pager*

-pH

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.