FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » This is why Sony will sell me a PS3.

Author Topic: This is why Sony will sell me a PS3.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Level 5's White Knight

I'll be the first to admit: I am a slut for pretty graphics, RPGs and especially JRPGs, so this is right up my alley, but there are just so many things about this trailer that make me excited for this game. Seamless gameplay transitions, combat that looks both realistic and intuitive, and, you know...you transform into a HUGE MECH KNIGHT DUDE.

And it's the prettiest game I've seen a trailer for, on any system, by far.

*happy sigh*

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, Penny Arcade mentioned the same thing in the strip today (White Knight being the best thing for PS3). I'd get a PS3 if I had the money for it. My roommate's getting one on launch day, so I'm sure I'll get to play any multiplayer games on it.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched that trailer this morning. I'm not much for JRPGs, and I'm not terribly interested in the PS3, but one thing I really liked was how well the sword combat was animated -- attacks actually realistically being blocked by shields or blades, rather than how most games just display a stock attack animation and a stock defense animation and they might not necessarily overlap realistically. That was really nice.

However, from the trailer alone, I didn't think it was graphically superior to [some] games that are out right now.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll see your HD-TV, $500+ console-requiring (sweet-looking) fantasy borefest, and raise you with some good, old-fashioned, SD-TV, $250 console-with-funky-new-controls-requiring ultraviolence.

Unintentionally funny English dubbed lines included! [Smile]

(BTW, White Knight looks awesome, but I don't want to buy an HD-capable TV to see it in all its glory.)

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by Bokonon:
I'll see your HD-TV, $500+ console-requiring (sweet-looking) fantasy borefest, and raise you with some good, old-fashioned, SD-TV, $250 console-with-funky-new-controls-requiring ultraviolence.

Unintentionally funny English dubbed lines included! [Smile]

(BTW, White Knight looks awesome, but I don't want to buy an HD-capable TV to see it in all its glory.)

-Bok

Oh, I'll likely buy a Wii as well. ^_^ The controller concept and Nintendo's history of decent implementation of said concepts is too intriguing for me to ignore.

Before, however, this degrades into another OMG WII IS BEST OMG PS3 SUXORS NO UR WRONG LOLZ thread, I'll get it out of the way: this isn't me attempting to convince anyone that the PS3 is going to be superior, and I am well aware that I am lusting after a console largely because of a trailer of one game, which is a poor basis to make a $600 purchasing decision about, but that wasn't the point. I'm not trying to suggest that the Wii (or the 360) is an inferior system or an inferior purchasing decision.

The trailer is cool, that's all. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Twinky hit the part of the trailer I liked, the combat animation. It pretty much lost my interest when he turns into the giant knight, though. I'm reminded too much of Xenogears and Xenosaga - to me having the huge mech version that you can turn into makes the "normal" combat seem really pointless.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

No, I agree, but the Heroes trailer came out (again?) today, so I figured I'd indulge my inner fanboy.

White Knight looks pretty sweet; even my non-gamer wife said, "Whoa."

[Smile]

It's all good.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope the main character doesn't run like a Baywatch babe the WHOLE game.

But still, very VERY pretty. It makes Oblivion seem outdated.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by Enigmatic:
Twinky hit the part of the trailer I liked, the combat animation. It pretty much lost my interest when he turns into the giant knight, though. I'm reminded too much of Xenogears and Xenosaga - to me having the huge mech version that you can turn into makes the "normal" combat seem really pointless.

--Enigmatic

If you've played Xenogears, you should recognize the two can coexist rather comfortably, each remaining distinctly different and fun without rendering the other meaningless.

Other examples that prove this point:

Every RPG game with a "summon" that replaces your party with a giant playable creature, e.g. several of the Final Fantasy games, Breath of Fire games.

Or, for non-RPG games that accomplish this successfully, there's Mega Man X2 thru X5 (I never played any of the ones newer than that, so I don't know if the formula holds up). Or Halo 1 & 2.

It will largely depend on how it's implemented. If it's a constant, unlimited option, it will take some heavy restrictions - like limited accuracy against small targets, and no huge "nuclear bomb" type attacks - to make playing as a little guy both worthwhile and engaging. More likely, however, the ability is selectively available. Its frequency will (ideally) reflect how the larger version is treated - does it level seperately & have its own equipment/whatever, or is it based off the stats/equipment of the small version? Do the other characters have similar modes?

Etc., etc., etc.

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
This is why I included "to me" in my post. I'm well aware that a lot of people love the dual combat system in Xenogears. I didn't like it so much.

And summons are completely different. In most games a summon is just a one-shot damaging spell with a fancy animation, the summoned monster doesn't stick around after that one action. (There are probably exceptions to that, but the only ones I can think of are summon monster spells in D&D-type games, where the summoned monster doesn't replace the characters.)

I'm not trying to say the dual combat thing is inherently bad, just that it doesn't usually improve the game for me, personally.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
And summons are completely different. In most games a summon is just a one-shot damaging spell with a fancy animation, the summoned monster doesn't stick around after that one action. (There are probably exceptions to that, but the only ones I can think of are summon monster spells in D&D-type games, where the summoned monster doesn't replace the characters.)
The games I mentioned are ones specifically where the summon will stick around in combat, not one shot deals. Final Fantasy VIII, for example, had summons that remained playable and had a seperate leveling system. In Breath of Fire II and either III or IV, one or more of your party members was replaced by the hero's dragon transformation until either killed or the hero ran out of MP (consumed every turn).

If you just don't like the dual-combat thing, though, I understand. ^_^

twinky
Member # 693

Bok, I watched that trailer, and it looks pretty cool. Reminds me a bit of Killer7, which I really enjoyed.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Same guy, twinky.

-Bok

Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm holding out for the Wii. My parents got my brothers and I Xbox 360 for christmas last year, so I have that to play my graphicy type stuff on. I'm looking for Wii as a graduation present to take to college with me.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
Originally posted by Bokonon:
Same guy, twinky.

I'll definitely have to keep my eye on that one, then.
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
sweet. We are a 360/PS2 family, though. I can't spend another $400 on a gaming system.
Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennabean
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for jennabean   Email jennabean         Edit/Delete Post 
reeeeeediculous.
Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

johnsonweed, the PS3 will be $500 or $600. The Wii will be $250.

-Bok

Squish
Member # 9191

- posted      Profile for Squish           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Juxtapose:
I hope the main character doesn't run like a Baywatch babe the WHOLE game.

But still, very VERY pretty. It makes Oblivion seem outdated.

I was hoping that I wasn't the only one who noticed that. But otherwise, gorgeous!
Posts: 168 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm happy with my 360 and will probably buy a Wii just because I am now, always have been and always will be a nintendo fan. They have done just enough with each machine to keep me coming back. But 500-600 dollars for system is just out of the question for me. I'll probably end up with the PS3 at some point but not right away.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarfa
Member # 579

- posted      Profile for sarfa   Email sarfa         Edit/Delete Post 
wait, did you say that makes Oblivion look outdated?? The fighting animations and backgrounds were good (from what little we saw), but the textures and detail on the characters were awful. They looked like something that could be on the ps2. Graphically, I was unimpressed by this. Of course, this is just a trailer for a game in development, and hopefully, they will add some better graphics as the game continues through the development process.

I love a good RPG, but this one game (even if it is great, which we can't tell from one trailer) will not be enough to convince me to buy a PS3 anytime soon. The price tag is just way to high and Sony is losing exclusivity from 3rd party devlopers left and right. Maybe they'll get some of that back, but I kinda doubt it. Of course, I'm also uninterested in the Wii as well. The controller doesn't excite me; it seems like a gimick that will be more annoying than anything else for most games. Though, it may allow for quicker, more precise amiming in 1st person shooters (which is a big plus, analog sticks just blow for that).

Posts: 748 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.