FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Big Mouth Lion

Author Topic: Big Mouth Lion
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Who else remains at Hatrack who participate in the old version of hatrack, "Big Mouth Lion"

One of the good things about those days was that OSC frequently participated in discussions.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I joined right after the switch, unfortunately.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I was a member of that, as well as the previous Prodigy or AOL discussion group, but rarely if ever posted.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Me! I was here during the BML days. [Smile] I don't think I posted much, but I did post at least once, and I lurked constantly.
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TheTick:
I was a member of that, as well as the previous Prodigy or AOL discussion group, but rarely if ever posted.

Which one? First came Prodigy (where I participated), then came AOL (and even back then, I knew AOL was the devil. [Wink] ). Then BML, and then the current incarnation.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I was a BML guy. Didn't know about the pre-WWW incarnations.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
I was there too, but I don't remember if I ever actually posted. Maybe a handful of times. I knew about the AOL one, but never went there when it existed.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*raises hand*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
No kidding.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I was lurking back then, and actively participating in Hatrack 1830s.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

I know for certain I at least read some on Prodigy (wasn't all that much to do on the Internet back then), not sure on AOL.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
I was also lurking back then. Thank goodness I don't lurk anymore. [Big Grin]
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
AOL (posted a couple times)
Then BML as IanOhlander. Didn't wan't to go over to the 'new' board until I had to.

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I was lurking in the BML days.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I lurked BML a few times but never posted there.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I was a lurker very rare poster on Prodigy and AOL. Never knew about BML. Lost OSC when he left AOL, then re-found him on Hatrack sometime later. (well, Dec 1999 to be exact).
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I was there, though I certainly read much more than I wrote. Even moreso than now.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*wonders if any of the Prodigy people remember her from back then; kinda hopes they don't*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
I posted a little back in the BML days but i mostly stayed on the VBS side.
Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Is this thread some sort of setup for a Jatrquero Highlander-esque affair? With the goal in this case to chop off all 10 fingers?

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I was, as Kate. Then I went away. I remember when Karl joined.

edit to add: At least I think it was Karl. Would have been in March of 1999 I think. Would it have been BML back then? I was mostly writing along the lines of "not all Christians believe God hates homosexuality". Anyone surprised?

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Well, I'm not even sure what BML is, and I joined here in Dec 1999. One of my first posts could probably be considered a flame, or at least a rant, and it was in response to a post by someone who I think still posts here but under a different screenname. But the thread was about homosexuality and it was something along the lines of how society's tolerance for homosexuals was causing its downfall, or something to that effect. I think I kinda jumped in with both feet, but up to that point it hadn't seem like there was a lot of contrary opinion expressed.

But then again, maybe that was on BML. I vaguely remember having to re-register at some point after being away for a while. Maybe the switch was from BML to here while I was offline and I didn't make the connection. Was BML a similar BBS format like here?

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I was a member of the Prodigy group. Didn't know about any of the others. I started visiting the Hatrack site at least before 1999 or so, but didn't find the forums until later.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Huh. Are you sure it wasn't March? Pretty sure it was you. I responded with a "really not all Christians" loooonngg post.

Of course, that kind of thread wasn't unique. I debated the point a lot with Morgan Majors and John Hansen and Rodney Bliss. Grayson Towler posted back then, too. He and I left about the same time because it felt like such an uphill battle.

Things are better now.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Morgan Majors is now Annie. She's grown quite a bit from her Morgan Majors days.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

I have heard that. I am looking forward to "re-meeting" her.
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
When did Hatrack.com come into existence? I certainly didn't visit the Prodigy site, but I used to read Hatrack all the time well before I moved to Central Florida, which would put it around 1999 or not long afterward. But when I checked out the forums, what I found was Hatrack River 1830s. I was mildly interested, but my interest died quickly and I pretty much just stuck to the front page stuff, including OSC's reviews and the writing lessons.

-o-

I was going through the random downloaded images on my old computer, when I salvaged the hard drive off of it and slaved it to my newer computer, and ran across the old logo, with the larger banner and the rectangular picture. I guess I'm nearly alone in thinking that was more attractive. [Smile]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Big Mouth Lion discussion board, with the note at the top about the new forums (this one, basically).

Looks like Hatrack.com came to be about June 8th, 1996.

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I love that the next topic is about the Ender's Game movie. [Big Grin]

I was on it at least as far back as that snapshot of the front page, because I ordered Magic Mirror through Hatrack.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Yup. "Return to Sodom" - that was the thread.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
When will Annie be back? Like January?
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
I was on the BML board. I think I posted a lot more than I do now.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
The list of thread titles in TheTicks link is quite entertaining.

The more things change the more they remain the same.

There was a thread started by Tom Davidson in march 1999 on Abortion, a thread started by Anne Kate in August 1998 on suicide.

Reading through the whole list is quite amusing.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

I don't recall OSC participating all that much back then. Just a random post now and again (with the exception of his thread about Bill Clinton "Cruise Missiles - New Yorker of 13 October...", linking the Cruise Missle attempts at OBL to Monica-gate.)

He's been here (especially in the last 2 years) way more than back then.

I remember Tom's "Abortion" thread. I was very moved. And D Michael Martindale. He told me had to leave cause he need to have a life. He posted too much, he said. A nice guy.

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

I remember having some very interesting exchanges with OSC on the old forum. Recently, he seems to post and move on, but back then he get involved in discussions, particularly when he was traveling.
Noemon
Member # 1115

D Michael Martindale was active at Hatrack right after the transition. It was a post of his that spurred me to join the forum.
IanO
Member # 186

yeah, he left in early 2000, I think. Before that, he was everywhere. A non-pithy version of Tom.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Which is like fat-free cheesecake. [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

The site was definitely around in 1996. I was part of the unofficial VBS email list that fall (freshman in college, first time with a net connection; before that was all BBSes), but started lurking near the end of the year. Didn't post much/at all back then.

-Bok

Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by IanO:
yeah, he left in early 2000, I think. Before that, he was everywhere. A non-pithy version of Tom.

I remember him being quite a bit of an ass. I know that he came off that way to me in the post that spurred me to join. Was he not one, generally?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

He generally wasn't. He had his moments, but then we all do. [Smile]
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Smile] This is true.

I expect that my take on that one particular post colored my subsequent perceptions of him.

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie will be back in the spring. I got to answer a question by the Hatrack Stalker! And, uh, I was not around for BML.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
My question was more an issue of not knowing how long missions were and being unsure of how long post mission she'd be gone, than one not knowing when Annie left. That was late August 2005.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
I lurked during BML days just a bit more than I do now!
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

So, if that linked page above is Big Mouth Lion, then I definitely was there, and that "Sodom" thread is the thread kmboots and I are talking about. But it looks like that was 1997, not 1999.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

I (vain of me) printed off a copy of stuff I wrtoe back then. Most of it was Feb/March of 1999.
IanO
Member # 186

You're not the only one. I have one of my threads from back then printed as well.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.