FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Live feed of African Wilderness (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Live feed of African Wilderness
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if anyone else here checks digg, but they had a link to a really cool site that I think you guys would like. According to the page, it is a live webcam feed from Nkorho Pan, Africa. It's pretty neat. At the moment, there are several zebra in the camera's view. If possible make sure your sound is on.

africam web page

The link to the actual feed is towards the bottom of the page.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Mondo cool. Thanks. [Smile] Unfortunately, I was too late to see the zebras, but we did see a deer-like animal lying in the grass.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.srobbin.com/africam.php
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Three zebras at the watering hole right now!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Make that at least five...
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I was really paranoid that this would be one of those horrible scare jokes. But that was neat. No scaring.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
That is so cool. The bird sounds are amazingly peaceful.
Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Neat!! I'm watching a gazelle-like thing eat some grass. I keep hoping one of those cheetahs will zoom in and tackle it. [Big Grin]

Oh wow, someone's moving the camera! Is someone sitting at this thing all day?

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's so cool.

[Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure it's on a motion detector, and programmed to focus back on the watering hole when there is no motion.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Some kind of vehicle just drove by, about five minutes ago.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Africa's down. Either that or *really* dark...
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

It's up now. Lots of noise, but not really anything moving.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I can see two things off in the background moving around. The sound doesn't seem to be working on my system though.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Its night over there. No animals out. [Frown]
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I've got the sound working now. There may not be many animals visible, but there are bugs, birds, and possibly frogs that are making quite a racket.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it working for me or not? I'm hearing the sounds and I can see view, but it says "Preparing Media" and nothings moving, so I'm not sure if it's working or not.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
It's working [Big Grin] . I saw a little rat/racoon thing scuttle across. Dunno what it was.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Sunrise there will be at 11:48 PM EST, just FYI.
ricree101
Member # 7749

Oooo.... Lot of zebras now
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
Great link, been watching for hours. Thanks
Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Monkeys cavorting, with antelopes grazing in the foreground.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

I showed it to my nephew 5 years old - he was completely enthralled. [Big Grin] I'm a cool auntie. [Big Grin]
Noemon
Member # 1115

You know how you read about how, with the advent of television, people felt like the world was suddenly brought into their living rooms? This webcam is driving home for me how much the Internet has done the same thing for us. I mean, how cool is this. There's no soundtrack, no careful editing of events to make them tell a story, just a window into a relatively remote part of the world, available to peer through 24/7. That's really amazing when you think about it.
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

It really is. It's almost surreal. I was watching the monkeys and antelopes too and I had to keep on reminding myself that this is real, not staged or arranged in any way. The zebra's were pretty amazing too. A whole herd of them just playing in the water.

I'm sad right now, they turned the night vision on. Oh well.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Is Africa down now? I don't see any more animals.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Water buffalo! I think. I don't actually know. But there's something in the water.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yep, they're water buffalo. There was a herd of them around earlier when the daylight setting was still on the camera, and it was pretty cool to watch.

quote:
I was watching the monkeys and antelopes too and I had to keep on reminding myself that this is real, not staged or arranged in any way.
I know! Another thing that I have to keep reminding myself of is that what I'm seeing there is happening *right now*. It's not a tape. Somewhere in South Africa, these animals are doing these things pretty much at the same time as I am seeing them.
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

[Big Grin] . I just saw an elelphant.
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
This is so cool! Thanks for the link. Now even if there's nothing on the screen, it sounds like we're out camping in the middle of my family room.
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, I slept with the sound up pretty high last night. It was great, except for a few particularly raucus birds.

My cat's been going crazy with the sound. It's been pretty entertaining.

There are a pair of buffalo-type somethings butting heads right now.

[Edit--now that they aren't butting heads and are just standing there, it looks like they're actually water buffalo.]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
No luck with the quicktime link, but the alternate one worked quite well. Very cool.

I left it up when I went out of the room, and my daughter wanted to know why there were weird noises coming from my computer. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I love this. Thanks so much for posting it.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

The past 15 or so hours, I haven't been able to get the broadcast to play. [Frown] It played fine before that. And I've restarted my computer twice to try to fix it.

I just tried the second link and it DOES work. Course, I missed the entire daylight period, now it's dark again. [Mad]

At least I can expect it to work tomorrow.

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

You know, I wish I could do this with Sri Lanka. Not the jungle, but a city or village street so you could watch the normal everyday happenings. You'd probably be just as enthralled. Well, maybe not, but I can always hope, eh?
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

If it's anything like the cities or villages in Vietnam or the Phillipines I would be.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Theca, I had blackscreen all day today too. I've finally got an image for the first time and crickets (maybe birds too) chirping.

Edit: Am I seeing SHOOTING STARS????

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

birds
Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

or bats
orlox
Member # 2392

The "water buffalo" are wildebeests or gnus:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnu

Theca
Member # 1629

Yeah, mine is suddenly working now, too. Weird.
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Goody Scrivener:
Theca, I had blackscreen all day today too. I've finally got an image for the first time and crickets (maybe birds too) chirping.

Edit: Am I seeing SHOOTING STARS????

I thought exactly the same thing until I realized that they were insects.

Last time I tuned in, I saw what looked like a duck, swimming in otherwise complete darkness. Fun...

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dasa:
Then I found out that it is from a private game reserve.

Yeah, I was mildly disappointed to realize that as well.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
You know, I wish I could do this with Sri Lanka. Not the jungle, but a city or village street so you could watch the normal everyday happenings. You'd probably be just as enthralled. Well, maybe not, but I can always hope, eh?

Honestly, it would feel a little weird for me if the feed mostly contained people.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by orlox:
The "water buffalo" are wildebeests or gnus

And I didn't get to see them!

Oh well, you know what they say about "no gnus"...

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

giraffe right now
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

And, oh! the zebras! I hadn't realized how individual the stripes are. Like full-body fingerprints, none are the same.
orlox
Member # 2392

And some African Buffalo...
The Water Buffalo lives in asia.
And if the camera turns all the way left, you see this:
http://www.nkorho.com/

Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
EVERYBODY has a water buffalo.
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_buffalo
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.