FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I want to start a kids' book club. Advice? Help?

Author Topic: I want to start a kids' book club. Advice? Help?
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, guys! Reading the thread about one Hatracker's little sis's reading assignment from Hell, the wheels in my head suddenly started turning again after a long period of stillness. When I was a kid, there was nothing I loved more than reading, but I found that usually school didn't challenge me enough in that area, and I never had a chance to really discuss what I read with other kids who were interested in the stories.

Several years ago, I thought about starting a local book club for kids, to give them a place to get excited about reading and to share their ideas and feelings about books and stories.

The problem is that I don't have any credentials as a teacher (unless you count all the obedience classes I've taught for dog owners. That was teaching people, not teaching dogs, but most parents wouldn't take that cred seriously :rolf: ).

Would it be possible to get such a book club going without being a teacher, do you think? Or would that be opening a can of worms I really don't want to deal with?

Your thoughts? Thanks!

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Our library had something like that. Can you check with a local library? It would probably be easier in a small library than a large one.

As a random question, do you happen to remember the names of that series of books about the group of kids...lead by this one redheaded boy. I think his name was Mc-something...and they solved mysteries? I remember one time they went back to the witch trials, and they met a girl who called herself an investigatrix...they were such interesting books. I think they'd be great for this kind of thing.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
E.W. Hildick looks like the author, according to Amazon.com, and the book must be Hester Bidgood: Investigatrix of Evill Deedes.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, pH. I'll check with the library!
Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! But there are more of those...

McGurk! Oh, I loved reading those books.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.