FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I bought a motorcycle, or, teach JT about bikes.

Author Topic: I bought a motorcycle, or, teach JT about bikes.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I bought an '89 Honda Shadow 600cc cruiser yesterday, and I realized, having never owned a motorcycle before, there's much I don't know.

As always, I turn to the 'rack.

Helmets -- full face or half? Pros/cons of each? Personal preference?

Insurance -- what liability limits do I need or are prudent? What about comp&coll (remember, the deductible would probably exceed the bike's value)? What about medical (is this covered by my automotive policy typically -- I'll call my agent tomorrow, but just curious)?

Footwear and gloves?

What's a good riders' forum that I could use as a reference when needed?

Are any of the instructional classes (such as the ones offered by HD) any good?

Who makes good jackets that won't cost me my firstborn child?

What else do I need to know?

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't ask me. I lost my bike, a new pair of leather gloves, a new pair of boots, and a hair mole on my chin all at about the same time. Good luck. Oh, the half face flexable face shield worked well except the glasses shattered.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Did you ever move to New Orleans? 'cause I don't think you wanna ride a motorcycle around here...half a street can become a gaping pothole abyss overnight.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/
http://www.denniskirk.com/
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/

^Reasonably priced stuff. The last one isn't motorsports-specific, but is a great source for sunglasses and boots. You want to wear boots that cover your ankle and sunglasses that are half-way to goggles, close fitting with foam padding around the edges, like you would for skiing. If, that is, you don't wear a full-face helmet. I wear a three-quarters one, I tried a half-helmet but found that the wind caught the edge and pulled it up when I checked my blind spot at speed. My head is funny shaped, though, so not all heads/helmets might have that problem.

I wear full gloves, because the instructor in my class brought up what it feels like to have a junebug hit your hand at 60 mph wear fingerless gloves. I would think that since you're a guitarist you'd want to protect your hands in case you ditch, too.

I took the motorcycle safety class, and I thought it was wonderful, very valuable, and has saved my life at least once so far. [Smile] I know they vary by state, but I would highly recommend it.

My jacket was from that first link, I would've loved a snazzy leather one, but they're awfully pricy. I got a waterproof one from Fieldshear instead, that has a removeable liner, zippered vents, and built-in armor. I like it, and it is comfortable in a range of weather conditions.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Oh, and congratulations on your bike!
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, ElJay. I love Sierra Trading Post -- I've actually been to their company store in Wyoming. Very cool.

I spent about 30 minutes browsing those links; I can't believe how much junk is out there for riders.

I think I'm definitely gonna get in a safety class, but first I have to find a weekend where both LSU and the Saints are away.

Any thoughts on insurance?

---------

pH, no, not yet. But I just got a contract on my house in Lafayette, so I can start looking in New Orleans.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't drive that motorcycle in New Orleans. [Frown] You'd die in a pothole, and then I would cry.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I just went with what my agent recommended for insurance, because I trust her, so no real thoughts, no. I have comp & coll, but my bike's a lot newer than yours and probably worth more, so it was worth it. Oh, and taking the safety class got me a discount on the insurance, make sure you check on that.
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Be sure and get a *new* helmet. The used ones may not protect your head.

Denim's supposed to be pretty good protection against "road rash," and it's much cheaper than leather.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Mmmm, I would disagree about denim. The point of your clothing protection is to make you slide, and wear your momentum out horizontally instead of vertically. ('Cause vertically is going through your clothing and then through your skin.) Leather is valued both because it is tough and because it's slippery, less friction means more sliding and less road rash. A lot of synthetics serve the same function, but denim really doesn't. I ride in jeans anyway, but I would never consider them good protection. And I wouldn't wear a denim jacket as my primary riding jacket.
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
Helmets -- full face or half? Pros/cons of each? Personal preference?

Full. Junebugs hitting your face at 60 mph don't feel good either. Also in the event of a crash, your jaw and pretty face are protected. Ask Ben Roethlisberger which he would have rather had his face after he knocked his teeth out and broke his jaw against a car. Also for cold weather riding full face is nice too. The only pros for the half-helmets are the better peripheral vision.

quote:

Insurance -- what liability limits do I need or are prudent? What about comp&coll (remember, the deductible would probably exceed the bike's value)? What about medical (is this covered by my automotive policy typically -- I'll call my agent tomorrow, but just curious)?

I found better success with companies that dealt specifically in bike insurance. Geiko, Progressive, State Farm, etc aren't great about motorcycles. I think I got my from bikeline or something like that.

My bike cost me $950, and is a 14 year old Suzuki GS500. No point in getting comprehensive or collision. I did get around $200,000 liability- not because there's much of a chance of the motorcycle doing that much damage to someone else, but in order to jack up my uninsured motorist coverage to the same level (it can't exceed your liability coverage levels). I also paid like $10 for roadside assistance/ towing--already used it once when my chain broke.

quote:

Footwear and gloves?

Both. I wear full leather gloves, I'm buying some silk liners for wintertime riding. Boots need to be over the ankle, waterproof, oil resistant soles, preferable leather.

quote:

What's a good riders' forum that I could use as a reference when needed?

I got started on: Total Motorcycle which is a great resource. Be sure to check out their forums. After awhile I gravitated to an enthusist forum specifically for my bike.

quote:

Are any of the instructional classes (such as the ones offered by HD) any good?

I would check for an MSF class in your area. It cost me $100, and was partially funded by the state. It has been invaluable. They teach you correct technique for how to ride and how to perform emergency manuvers. It's essentially the same thing as the HD classes except cheaper [Big Grin] Also, when you pass you get a card that can get you insurance discounts and most states will just give you the license if you take it to the DMV. No need to take the state riding test.

quote:

Who makes good jackets that won't cost me my firstborn child?

I like Joe Rocket and Tourmaster textile jackets. Leather's cool and all but it's expensive. Textile offers very comparable protection for a lot less money.

quote:

What else do I need to know?

1. Take the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) class. I can't stress this enough
2. Wear all your gear all the time. I went down fairly low speed (about 40 mph) about a month ago. The shoulder of my jacket was shredded down through the armor. That would have been my skin if I had been wearing a t-shirt cause it was hot. I wasn't wearing my motorcycle pants so my knee was all bloodied up, but I was fine. Helmet got scraped, steel toed boot smashed, etc. The adage goes something like "you don't wear your gear for the ride, you wear it for the crash"
3. Do your maintenance on the bike. This is so much more important than a car. I didn't replace the old chain that was on the bike right away like I should have. It snapped when I hit the throttle hard going into a turn, jamming between the rear wheel and swingarm, locking up the back tire. It's a miracle I didn't go down. Make sure you lube your chain weekly (I like Maxim Chain Wax), check your tire pressure and wear regularly, brakes, etc. Any problem is a lot more serious on 2 wheels than 4.
4. Go on group rides. Let yourself be pushed into increasing your skills, but don't ride too far beyond your abilities. Group rides are the funnest. Find some nice twisties and have a blast.

I've only been riding for 6 months and 4500 miles so far, but it's been awesome. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.