FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Narnia the movie--6 Year Old friendly?

Author Topic: Narnia the movie--6 Year Old friendly?
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Momma wants to take 2.25 hours and watch Narnia to see if its OK for Sasha. Then we would find another 2.25 hours to watch it with Sasha.

We borrowed it from a friend who is waiting for us to give it back, and we just haven't found the time.

So I come to a group of people I almost trust, who happen to be Narnia experts, and ask--is it OK for a sensitive (Scared of Witches) 6 year old boy, and more importantly, his non-voilence or I'll kill you, mother.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was pretty pansy....y, so I guess it's good for the youguns. But I'm nowhere near parental.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Our girls didn't have a problem with it, but they're not that sensitive. I think the witch is pretty scary, specifically because she's so believable in her bitchiness. And the guilt theme on the younger boy is pretty intense. In a lot of ways, despite the fantastic setting, the intensity of this movie comes, IMO, from it's realism. The interactions, the motivations, feel real and intense to me. [Dont Know]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
My six-year-old niece says:

"It got boring, but I liked it. A five-year-old would be scared of the huge huge lion or the beaver that talked or they might be really scared of the wolves. The wardrobe scared me because it looked like a monster, it always looked like a monster inside. But no. It is not too scary for a six-year-old."

(It seems like she remembers a lot of scary things, if one were hypothetically the kind of person to be afraid of that kind of thing.)

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is truly frightening. I would not take certain six year-olds to it.

When I read the book to my daughter, she was seven, I think, and it freaked her out more than any traditional scary book or movie ever has since.

I remember when I read it as a child. I was in third or fourth grade. The scene where Aslan is sacrificed was nightmarish for me. I was and continue to be a very visual learner, and I still have pictures in my head of that book, as I read it back then.

So, I would say, if you know your child tends to have a visual, imaginative mind, steer clear for a few years.(or wait for the video) In fact, my daughter would probably have ben OK at that age if she had seen the movie, but the read-aloud was tough.

My son, on the other hand, has only recently been cleared for Harry Potter, and usually we watch it at home instead of the theater, which is more of a "trapped" place to watch a frightening film.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palliard
Member # 8109

- posted      Profile for Palliard   Email Palliard         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on the six-year-old, naturally, but I thought it was pretty tame. But then, when I was six my mother sat up with me at midnight on Saturday to watch "Creature Features". It's a little hard to be scared of Christopher Lee as Dracula when your mother is on the couch next to you snoring.

If it was my 6-year-old, I would be prepared to discuss inevitable comparisons to other mythologies viz. the death-and-resurrection thing, but otherwise it seems like a pretty cool youngsters' movie. I would have enjoyed it at 6.

Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I think my dad took me to see Star Trek VI when I was around 6.

I don't think Narnia is too scary though, and I used to get nightmares from Fern Gully.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Palliard:
But then, when I was six my mother sat up with me at midnight on Saturday to watch "Creature Features". It's a little hard to be scared of Christopher Lee as Dracula when your mother is on the couch next to you snoring.

I beg to differ. I used to watch Big Wilson's Night Owl Theater with my mom, starting at midnight. They used to show all the classic horror movies, and after each, I would creep, terrified, to bed, making crucifixes with my fingers at every shadow. [Angst]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palliard
Member # 8109

- posted      Profile for Palliard   Email Palliard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe... you sound like my little brother. For a whole entire year, back when Bigfoot was on all the television networks about once every two months, he was convinced most nights that bigfoot was lurking outside his window and the very minute he was asleep would crash through the glass and eat him.

The apricot tree casting shadows on his window while blowing around in the breeze didn't help. Given our living arrangements, I more often than not had to scare the apricot tree away.

Anyway, in no wise is Narnia like a Christopher Lee Dracula movie. [Smile] I was simply trying to use that as a relative guage.

Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, my six year old twins had no problems with it, even seeing it on the big screen in the theater. They've watched it many times on DVD with no trouble at all.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
and more importantly, his non-voilence or I'll kill you, mother.
There are battles and scenes of serious injury. I don't know if that counts.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, there are some fairly intense battle scenes, and plenty of violence, so perhaps your wife may want to veto it.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent E
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for Silent E   Email Silent E         Edit/Delete Post 
My kids watched it several times when they were respectively six and four. If anything, the four-year-old (now five) liked it even better than the six-year-old (now seven). They watched the battle scene over and over again.
Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
My 4 year old likes it.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to agree with airmanfour on this one. The battle scenes are a far cry from anything close to LOTR. I was very disappointed with it, but I should've expected actionless action scenes; it is after all made by Disney.

So yeah, aside from being a really boring movie, I doubt most exposed six year olds would have a problem with the Chronicles of Narnia.

Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
My six year old loved it, but he'd already had the book read to him, listened to the audio play, and seen the BBC movie, so pretty much knew what to expect. Had it come out a year and a half earlier, when he was more sensitive, it would not have been good for him.

There is violence in it.

I might suggest waiting awhile, if there is concern.

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, as an adult, the scariest part was Tumnus! OK, weird, right? Think about it. Goatman.
Little girl alone in the woods.
Little girl lured to goatman's cave.
Little girl drugged.
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEW!!!

When I was little, I would never have thought anything of that.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to suggest what mimsies suggested- wait, and read the book to Sasha first. There are also audiobook recordings which are quite good for car trips, which is how my family experienced Narnia when I was a little kid. I highly recommend them.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
You could start watching it with him, and then if it got too scary, turn it off.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't matter too much now. The DVD player is on the fritz.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Heehee, problem solved, then. [Big Grin]

Could use the computer as a DVD player, if yours does that sort of thing.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:
For me, as an adult, the scariest part was Tumnus! OK, weird, right? Think about it. Goatman.
Little girl alone in the woods.
Little girl lured to goatman's cave.
Little girl drugged.
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEW!!!

Not to mention that his name brings to mind words like tumid or tumescence. There are definitely some disturbing overtones to that part of the story.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
We had read the book first, and then I took my six- and seven-year-olds to it. (We left the littler ones home.) They were still scared by a few parts of it. They were bothered by the scene with the witch and all the wicked creatures killing Aslan ... but I kept pointing out to them that they knew what was going to happen. Ultimately they really enjoyed it.

I didn't want to take them to see it without having read it first, though. I think it would've been too much for them. (And I wanted their first "vision" of the Wardrobe and Narnia to be in their imaginations, based on the descriptions in the book, rather than from someone else's imagination.)

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
When you get a chance again...of course it depends on the 6 year old. I took my (then) 3.5 and 6 year old to see it, and neither had a problem with it.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
A handy rule of thumb I learned long ago:

quote:
If what you see happening on the TV or big screen is not what you would be comfortable with seeing happening for real in your living room, then it's probably not a something you want to see.

I, personally think anyone under 10 too young for the movie. That being said, I liked it very well -- precisely because the battle scenes were NOT full of gratuitous violence and icky stuff flying ( a la LOTR -- and don't go getting all incensed on me people -- I cheer every time Aragorn lops off that Uruk head -- but that's me -- a fully formed adult [Wink] ), so I was okay with my son being there. He, however, WAS disturbed by the movie -- even though he enjoyed it, it also very much emotionally affected him. We did a lot of de-briefing, walking and talking and snuggling, afterwards.

Just my .02.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If what you see happening on the TV or big screen is not what you would be comfortable with seeing happening for real in your living room, then it's probably not a something you want to see.
Hm. *imagines various television shows and movies happening in her room*.

No, I think I give a lot of leeway for fictional constructions.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I think zombie slaughter is entirely appropriate for my living room. Provided someone else cleans up the mess.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
*giggles*

*Considers some of Liam Neeson's more sensual moments with Jessica Lange in Rob Roy and wonders if a standing stone would fit in her living room*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.