FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What is your deepest fear?

Author Topic: What is your deepest fear?
Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant,
gorgeous, talented, fabulous?
Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.
Your playing small does not serve the world.
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking
so that other people won't feel insecure around you.
We are all meant to shine, as children do.
We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.
It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously
give other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear,
our presence automatically liberates others.

marianne williamson

Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you are Marianne Williamson, I think the two-line rule might apply...
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Jake Lloyd playing Ender.

At age 43.

[Smile]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For a poem? Shouldn't quoting it be sufficient?

Honestly, the two-line rule is one of the dumbest on this forum. Don't get me wrong, I love hatrack or I wouldn't be here, and I understand the wish for OSC to cover his arse. But COME ON! A discussion forum is more akin to someone speaking a poem outline at a living room than someone putting forward copywrited work as their own. Are we gonna ban speaking copy writed work next?

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to have to say the whole world going to pot by some combination of severe overpopulation, pollution, over-use, and socio-political change such that many people find it onerous simply to survive.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
My previous voice teacher once gave me a copy of that... I still keep it in my big music binder. Sometimes that's what it takes to get through practicing. [Smile]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
My deepest fears are something awful happening to my child and losing my mother. I know the last will eventually happen but it scares me none the less.
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bull.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Those nasty creatures...
The New York Subway system
Dying without finding true love
That would be depressing [Frown]
Losing friends and family members and Bernie

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
You think I'm gonna reveal my biggest fear on an internet forum? Don't you know that's just asking to wake up in a room somewhere at the mercy of a psychopath determined to make you face it?

If I ever wake up in that position I want to rest assured that he has no idea what my biggest fear is.

On the other hand, if any budding psychopaths are reading this post, my biggest fear is being strapped to a table and loved up by Collin Farrell.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
HOW DARE YOU IMPLY THAT I AM NOT

(insert picture of Ming the Merciless)

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So totally notmy deepest fear!

And I must agree with Karl. What would motivate me to reveal my deepest fear? That's just asking for trouble.

If the psychopaths are reading this, though, I'll give you a tiny hint: it involves long sensuous massages with scented oils and being waited on hand and foot.

Oh! The horror!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:
quote:
For a poem? Shouldn't quoting it be sufficient?

Honestly, the two-line rule is one of the dumbest on this forum. Don't get me wrong, I love hatrack or I wouldn't be here, and I understand the wish for OSC to cover his arse. But COME ON! A discussion forum is more akin to someone speaking a poem outline at a living room than someone putting forward copywrited work as their own. Are we gonna ban speaking copy writed work next?

Maybe. Sorry if I'm wrong, just seems like I remember a poem similar to this one (though longer) having to be snipped at some point. Though I am quite likely misremembering. [Smile]
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a phobia with surgical needles. I can't bear to see them. Sewing needles make me a little jumpy, but nowhere near as much as the surgical ones. In other words, I can never bring myself to donate blood.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A discussion forum is more akin to someone speaking a poem outline at a living room than someone putting forward copywrited work as their own.
The two line rule has never been about attribution or people putting forward others' work as their own. It has been about unauthorized copying and distribution of copyrighted works.

For the record, any work that someone creates today (or in the recent past) is copyrighted. Copyrights are created at the moment a work is created and fixed. And saving to a hard drive counts as fixing a work.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Spongmonkeys. Especially dripping wet spongmonkeys.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 9506

- posted      Profile for 777           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Spongmonkeys. Especially dripping wet spongmonkeys.
FEAR ME!

[Evil Laugh] [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 292 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Good grief. I wasn't expecting sound!

You made em gasp and clutch my chest, blast and tarnation.

*shakes (trembling) fist

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
"Mr. Danza, put down that bottle brush!"
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beautifulgirl57
Member # 9877

- posted      Profile for beautifulgirl57   Email beautifulgirl57         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Altáriël of Dorthonion:
I have a phobia with surgical needles. I can't bear to see them. Sewing needles make me a little jumpy, but nowhere near as much as the surgical ones. In other words, I can never bring myself to donate blood.

Me too. arrg, can't stand the things.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
CT, you'd better not hang out with Emma, then. She LOVES that song and sings it at every opportunity!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Ahh. But does she have two missaligned & pulsatingly bulgy eyes, far too much gummage for any one creature, and tiny pointy sharp claws?

(Scratch that. If "yes," then I really don't want to know. [Wink] )

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove:
quote:
Bull.
In a rare move BlackBlade lines up next to the good doctor.

If it were impossible to fail, or for things to turn out unexpectedly (unexpectedly bad to be precise) of what would we have to fear? I don't know about you but the more consistently I succeed the less I worry that my next attempt will result in failure.

Give me several years of complete success Ill never even give failure a first thought.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by KarlEd:

On the other hand, if any budding psychopaths are reading this post, my biggest fear is being strapped to a table and loved up by Collin Farrell.

Ditto.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a phobia of deep, clear water -- where you can see all the way to the bottom, or least very far down. I have no problem at all with deep, murky water.

My biggest fear is losing my family entirely. Pretty simple.

Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I fear the dark. [Angst]
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roseauthor
Member # 148

- posted      Profile for Roseauthor   Email Roseauthor         Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly: I feared not being able to breath! Clausterphobia. AT 41 years of age, I found out I have asthma.. so the fear is now a reality and yet, I feared this for over 2 decades before I developed asthma. Go figure!

I love snorkeling.. but I face the fear every time I go. Again, ... Go figure! I just can't let the fear win! (call me sick)

Posts: 163 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm going to go with those who would prefer not to give psychopaths useful information. Unless, of course, the psychopaths would be interested in baking me a nice, unpoisoned, unadulterated chocolate cake? With mint chocolate chip ice cream.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
Inclines: hills, slides, rollercoasters...

I went skiing and overcame it a bit. Then I hit a tree. It came right back.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
lol (to hitting the tree)

Also, those things are called Spongmonkeys? I had no idea. I second that they are nasty little creatures.

Dear Psychopath,

I have a deep and abiding fear of being put in a room with all the men from the Sexiest Movie Roles thread and forced to pick who I wanted to spend a night with. Wait - make that the next three nights, so I don't have to pick too much. Yeah. Terrified of that. Eeek, eeek.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Will B:
My deepest fear is that an evil robot monkey will explode out of my chest like in Alien. I mean, really, that would suck.

No, actually that would blow.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also afraid of heights, but I wouldn't consider it a phobia.
Whenver I'm at the doctor and they need a blood sample, they have to restrain me because I loose control when I see the needle. In other words, I throw tantrums and make attempts to flee. >.<;;

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
To any psychopaths out there,

My greatest fear is YOUR FACE!

Oooh, pwnge.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Will B:
My deepest fear is that an evil robot monkey will explode out of my chest like in Alien. I mean, really, that would suck.

I've seen Alien like 10 times and I've missed the evil robot monkey scene every friggin' time!
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
On a serious note, it's a nice poem, and all, but I don't think it's true, at least for me. I don't dream small in any way, and I'm much more afraid that I'm not as good as I think I am, or as good as I want to be, at all the different things I want to excel at. Insofar as it's really an exhortation to dream big, then, again, it's nice, but kind of preaching to the choir.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.