FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Oh, for goodness sake! (airport stupidity) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Oh, for goodness sake! (airport stupidity)
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TheGrimace:
(presuming there wasn't something more confusing/worrisome in the english that he was overheard speaking)

I think that's the crux, though. I don't think you are talking about an even comparable situation with this presumption, which is why, of course, it would sound absurd.

But I am getting far too irritable and rude, whatever the reason (likely something else going on in my own life moreso than online conversations), so I'll just give myself a time-out and go sit at the foot of the stairs to think about what I've done.

I'm sorry for my rudeness in this thread, especially to Flying Cow. It was totally uncalled for.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
By raise of hands, who thinks that CT has been remotely rude in this thread? (CT, you're not allowed to vote. [No No] ) I'm willing to bet the answer is going to be not one person.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
*raises negative two hands*

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
See? CT, I think the fact that you self-edit and work so hard on maintaining a warm, friendly tone is a wonderful thing. I know it's something I try to do, and should probably do more often.

But you are way too hard on yourself. *hug* Please don't be?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
CT, you've stuck to your opinion in a polite manner. You haven't been rude, to Flying Cow or anyone else.

Rivka is right, you go out of your way to keep a friendly tone in your posts. Like when you put "(*friendly curiosity [Smile] )" at the end of your simple question to me, something I would not do unless the question was very personal .

Rivka is right again, lighten up on yourself! [No No] [Wave]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I could tell you a lovely story about Dell and their discrimination against a non-English-speaker. But I won't, at least right now.

Oh, and CT is too sweet for words usually, and I've never seen her rude. So there.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

The incredible kindness and generosity is so much appreciated. What a wonderful thing to return to read after a long day of work!

I was snippy to FC, and the apology still stands. I am nonetheless quite heartened by the good faith. Thanks. [Smile]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
wait, someone was being rude?

Also, you have a good point CT about that not necessarily being a valid assumption (that he didn't say/do anything else that was worrisome)

I was basically just going with his statement that he was not going to speak a different language in the airport in the future (which I assume was based on their concentrating on that issue when questioning/holding him).

Even assuming that this wasn't really the issue in the posted case, I still feel that there is a lot of general leeriness of non-english speakers in this country (not entirely unwarranted, but more so than is reasonable in my opinion).

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by TheGrimace:
I was basically just going with his statement that he was not going to speak a different language in the airport in the future (which I assume was based on their concentrating on that issue when questioning/holding him).

What I worry about is that we have no idea what else he said that wasn't quoted, you know? News stories are crafted, and necessarily so. Someone has to filter out the information, decide what is appropriate to report, and then organize it into a cohesive whole.

And given what I know of how the major reporting venues work, I really doubt that most stories make it to the presses in a full and nuanced form. I think controversy sells, and the more outrageous, the better. So you select out this bit, leave out that bit, and sell a lot of advertising along the way. [Not all journalists, of course, nor all editors -- but there are often outside pressures that mightily constrain the people on the frontlines, no matter how principled they may be individually.]

I could easily see the rationalization made that "well, that is something he said, and anyway, it is [what I think to be] the most important part of the story." Additionally, I wouldn't be surprised if the guy was rather ticked off himself (justifiably or not, no matter), and so he might have been speaking in protest from a rather irritable position rather than as an unbiased relater of events.
quote:
Even assuming that this wasn't really the issue in the posted case, I still feel that there is a lot of general leeriness of non-english speakers in this country (not entirely unwarranted, but more so than is reasonable in my opinion).

Oh, for sure. I think there is a lot of latent racism coming to the fore in many people. It's quite distressing.

I do want to focus my negative criticism where warranted, as well as focus my critical questioning where things seem unclear before making the judgment. I think that's the most useful way to use my critical reasoning skills and knowledge base as a citizen, although admittedly it is a rather dull and tedious process.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.