FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » It's a week late but...

Author Topic: It's a week late but...
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
...read a banned book. Banned books week was last week. Don't forget all those classics that people are trying/have tried/have had banned from libraries and schools. Those on the list include:

1. Scary Stories (Series) by Alvin Schwartz
2. Daddy's Roommate by Michael Willhoite
3. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
4. The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier
5. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
6. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
7. Harry Potter (Series) by J.K. Rowling
8. Forever by Judy Blume
9. Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
10. Alice (Series) by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
11. Heather Has Two Mommies by Leslea Newman
12. My Brother Sam is Dead by James Lincoln Collier and Christopher Collier
13. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
14. The Giver by Lois Lowry
15. It's Perfectly Normal by Robie Harris
16. Goosebumps (Series) by R.L. Stine
17. A Day No Pigs Would Die by Robert Newton Peck
18. The Color Purple by Alice Walker
19. Sex by Madonna
20. Earth's Children (Series) by Jean M. Auel

Ok, so not all the books are classics, but several are, and that's just the top 20 of the 100 most challenged books. The list is compiled of the most challenged books between 1990 and 2000. How many of your favorites made the list? 13 of the books on the list are books that I enjoyed reading and/or found to be books that made me think. Up that to 18 if you count each Harry Potter individually. I didn't count books that I hated on the list (though there are several) and many of them are standard reading in schools.

(P.S. On a side note, I am aware that this is the second time that I have used an elipsis in a thread title in the last couple of days. There is no need to point it out.)

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I didn't count books that I hated on the list
I find that pretty interesting in a slightly ironic way.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

Most of the books that I hated were actually books that I just didn't enjoy. Books that I found boring, not offensive. In fact, I didn't see a book that I found offensive on the list. (Note: I am not saying that I have read every book on the list.)
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I think what she means is that she didn't count the number of books on that list that she has read and hated.

[edit - [Blushing] Sorry 'bout that. Did I at least translate correctly?]

[ October 04, 2006, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: Alcon ]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Why the crap is the Giver on that list?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

Girl, alcon. I'm female.
andi330
Member # 8572

I don't understand why several of the books are on the list. For example, I've never read a Steinbeck book that I liked. (Heresy, I know.) I cannot get interested in his writing. In fact, Steinbeck is the ONLY author that I have ever fallen asleep reading. But banning his books? Huh?
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
pH - I thought the same thing when I saw 'The Giver' on the list!! It was on one of my younger brother's lists TO READ about 8 years ago... That's probably what's 'funniest' to me...
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I just really don't see what anyone could find offensive about the Giver. Is it the old man hanging out with the little boy? Is someone's kiddie-perv Spidey-sense overreacting?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Seventy-one percent of the challenges were to material in schools or school libraries.
On that list of 100 titles, I saw quite a few that I would not want to see in a school. People are free to read anything they want to in this country; that doesn't mean there should be no limits on what appears in a high school (or younger) library or curriculum.

On the other hand, I agree that lots of those books are classics and others on the list innocuous at worst.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
****SPOILERS FOR THE GIVER****

I think it's the euthanasia that gets The Giver banned.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

MORE SPOILERS FOR THE GIVER.

...but the euthanasia is presented as a terrible thing. So I still don't understand the offensiveness. Is someone getting offended that one might not support the euthanasia of a twin, or that somehow putting that in a book might make us all run out and kill infants and the elderly?

-pH

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I never said it made sense. I just think that's the reason. Apparently children are delicate little flowers who should never have to face anything that might be painful or cause moral questions.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

*runs off to kill people who don't like their jobs*

....the Giver made me do it.

-pH

Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
*refers pH to Internet Hurling thread*

"Hurl, don't kill."

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok - so this is my favorite thing ever. (Sorry, dear you, if you should read this. Hugs. No, not THAT kind of hugs!) So The Catcher in the Rye was assigned reading freshman year of high school, and my friend's mom went through and used white correction tape to cover

Every

Single

Swear word.

HILARIOUS! And I say that with the deepest respect for everyone involved, and I would totally tease her mom about it (gently, as long as she seemed ok with it) if it ever were to come up. But oh my gosh, it was like every third word! And my friend was in high school, land of outrageous profanity in the halls, the bathrooms, the classrooms! So the protection, while well-intentioned, was so not effective.

I kind of want that copy. That must have taken so long.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by andi330:
11. Heather Has Two Mommies by Leslea Newman

With all due respect to Leslea Newman, this book may have been big when it first came out, just because it was the first of its kind, but there's better now. Molly's Family is probably the best of that genre now.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

- posted      Profile for PUNJABEE   Email PUNJABEE         Edit/Delete Post 
Why was the Chocolate War banned? I read that in Jr high. It wasn't so bad.
Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Bridge to Terabithia?
Granted, I read it so long ago I can't remember anything about it except that I loved it.

*curses his mom for giving away all his YA books*

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see why I should go out of my way to read a book just because somebody else doesn't like it.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why was the Chocolate War banned? I read that in Jr high. It wasn't so bad.
I read it in Middle School... and hated. But whatever, it shouldn't be banned.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought A Game of Thrones off of half.com, and somebody had marked out all of the f-words. I have to say I appreciated it.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
I like a lot of those books, but truly love the Scary Stories series. It includes some of my favorite artwork. Yeah, the stories were pretty scary sometimes, but that was the fun part. And Goosebumps? Those were pretty lame as I recall.

Of Mice and Men? Really? One of the most moving novels I've ever read.

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
MORE SPOILERS FOR THE GIVER.

...but the euthanasia is presented as a terrible thing. So I still don't understand the offensiveness. Is someone getting offended that one might not support the euthanasia of a twin, or that somehow putting that in a book might make us all run out and kill infants and the elderly?

-pH

I think it was probably due to the fairly graphic nature of the incident when he sees his father performing the euthinasia.

I don't personally object to the book at all but I think that I would probably want to make sure my kids were emotionally ready to read something like that. It is pretty intense in its descriptions of several incidents in the story.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I don't understand the "emotional readiness" factor. I mean, I thought that part of the book was terrible, but I don't think it would scar anyone for life. I mean, what are parents' afraid would happen? It would give the child nightmares? Children have nightmares all the time. Adults have nightmares. I just don't understand the worry.

-pH

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
I don't understand the "emotional readiness" factor. I mean, I thought that part of the book was terrible, but I don't think it would scar anyone for life. I mean, what are parents' afraid would happen? It would give the child nightmares? Children have nightmares all the time. Adults have nightmares. I just don't understand the worry.

-pH

Spoilers,

The Giver also deals with adolecent sexuality the main character starts dreaming of "bathing" a girl he is friendly with, and his parents realize he has "The Urges" I believe and start giving him medication for it which he stops taking down the road. That combined with the graphic euthenasia section probably makes alot of parents squeemish.

I read The Giver in my private school in 5th grade I believe. It was a good book, and I enjoyed it, I personally would let MY kids read it.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know... I read Catcher In the Rye in a Jesuit high school as part of the curriculum. How long has it been banned?
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Yeah, I guess it just seems strange to me because my parents never reviewed anything that I read. Pretty much, if I wanted books, I could have them. I loved the Giver and the Hound of the Baskervilles and the Scarlet Letter, all of which I'd read before middle school.

I've mentioned this before, but it still makes me giggle a little: my boyfriend read the Exorcist in third grade and tried to give a book report on it. There was much spazzing from the teacher.

Edit: Nighthawk, I also read Catcher in the Rye for school. And Brave New World, and a bunch of other books that are probably banned.

-pH

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
How long has it been banned?
It's not.
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't see why I should go out of my way to read a book just because somebody else doesn't like it.
Some people seem to be under the impression that these books were somehow censored, and that deliberately a book from the list constitues some kind of protest against that "censorship".
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:

-pH

Knowing my daughter (turning 8 next week), I believe that if she were to read that part of the story she would be emotionally affected by it in a negative way. I think it would really upset her to read it and I don't think she is ready to deal with the emotions it would cause her to feel.

I don't know that I would ever tell her she couldn't read it but I would warn her that there are some very difficult parts of the book that might upset her and I would make sure she new that she could (and should) discuss it with me if anything upset her.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
Why the crap is the Giver on that list?

-pH

Why the crap are *most* of those books on that list?

Frankly, I'm shocked that Lolita has rolled off the 100 Most Challenged list.

I saw only one book I count among my all-time favorites: Lord of the Flies. But I've seen lists with Ender's Game on it, as well as countless other books that I loved.

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

quote:
Originally posted by pH:
kiddie-perv Spidey-sense

[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]
Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
I bought A Game of Thrones off of half.com, and somebody had marked out all of the f-words. I have to say I appreciated it.

Yeah, the language in ASOIAF can get pretty ripe.

Did you know when you bought it that it was "edited?" Or was it a surprise? Just curious. [Wink]

Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think the books on those list are usually of high caliber, they just deal with themes that somebody didn't like. If the book is crappy, it never gets on the radar to be banned. I usually find banned book lists to be pretty good suggested reading.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NicholasStewart
Member # 9781

- posted      Profile for NicholasStewart   Email NicholasStewart         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eaquae Legit:
Apparently children are delicate little flowers who should never have to face anything that might be painful or cause moral questions.

Isn't that kind of the point of The Giver? Children (and adults) must experience some pain and be faced with tough questions to really experience life, learn to to think for themselves, and become better people.
Posts: 65 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
HILARIOUS! And I say that with the deepest respect for everyone involved, and I would totally tease her mom about it (gently, as long as she seemed ok with it) if it ever were to come up.
When I firt got engaged, a friend of my fiancee from BYU bought us Paul Reiser's Couplehood. They went through and stapled black paper over the parts that involved sex "until we were married."

[ROFL]

*we took it off early!

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
How did I miss this thread!?!?! I have a poster of this list in my classroom and I have highlighted all the ones we have in our school library. Some of my kids consider that their personal reading list.

See [url= http://ttp://www.scholastic.com/kids/homework/pdfs/The_Giver_pt4.pdf#search='why%20is%20the%20giver%20banned']here[/url] for more comments on The Giver.

Andi, have you read The Pearl. It is not only my favorite Steinbeck book, it is one of my faves period. I am NOT a big fan of Steinbeck after being forced to read, and then watch, The Grape of Wrath! Ugh! Of Mice and Men wasn't that great either.

I remember reading that Bridge to Teribithia uses the Lord's name in vain too often.

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.