FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Don't fail me now, Hatrack!

Author Topic: Don't fail me now, Hatrack!
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I have tried Google, Froogle, several office supply stores, Avery, and several other sites. Except for custom orders (which ain't cheap, and are really ridiculous when I just need a few sheets' worth), I am having no luck.

I am searching for labels that can be run through a laser printer. In neon colors (at least 2 or three different ones). Bright colors would probably be ok. 3/4 inch by 3/8 inch.

On your mark, get set, GO!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Color regular labels with a highlighter.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Must they be that exact size, or would you be willing to cut down larger ones?
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
What are you using them for?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
In the past, I've gotten similar labels from Staples. Have you looked there? Is that even in the US?
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:

Personally, I think that's a brilliant solution.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
It sure got my attention.

lol

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Avery rectangular high visibility labels?

Avery was the only company I could think of...

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka said she already checked Avery, as I imagined she would -- however, those are not offered in the size she needs.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Shigosei:

If they came in the right size, I might consider it.
quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
Must they be that exact size, or would you be willing to cut down larger ones?

That's my fallback position. But since I'm going to need about 50 of the little buggers, I'd rather not.
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
What are you using them for?

They will go on student IDs, with 2006-7 and a tiny logo printed on them.
quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
In the past, I've gotten similar labels from Staples. Have you looked there? Is that even in the US?

Yup. They don't have any that small.

Bob, if I can't find any smaller, I will probably get the full-sheet size of those and cut 'em up. I'm just hoping not to have to do that. Especially since I don't believe we have a paper-cutter in the office, and doing it with scissors will be a pain.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka, you might buy a scrapbooking paper cutter, I think you can get one for less than $15 now, ours is Fiscars. Much easier than scissors, cheaper (and less scary) than the old fashioned school paper cutters.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Do they need to be square, and is a box of 100 sheets too much?

Cause, if not, here's something. I'll keep looking.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Are you talking about this?

Hmm. It's cute, but it doesn't look very durable.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Megan:
Do they need to be square, and is a box of 100 sheets too much?

Cause, if not, here's something. I'll keep looking.

Rectangular would be preferable, but I'd be ok with circles if they were smaller -- say .5 inch diameter. But yeah, 100 sheets is too many, which is why I decided again that site yesterday (they do custom sizes too).
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Hrm, the smallest I've been able to find so far is .5 in. x 1 in (planetlabel.com). And that's still in the 100 sheet category. I don't know that you'll be able to find any smaller quantities online, to be honest. [Frown]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Yeah. I was hoping one of y'all would think of something I hadn't. Thanks for trying!
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Rivka, that's what I'm talking about. Actually mine doesn't have a hole punch, but it's 4 years old. I've never had any problems with durability with it. We cut 200 quarter sheet fliers when we lost a dog (yes he was found, happy and safe four days later).
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka, what about getting the 100-sheet pack and have stock on hand already available for future years, ans possibly other uses as well?

Also, that onlinelabels page that Megan posted does offer smaller quantities, of course at a higher per-page price than if you ordered a full hundred. 2 pages of fluorescent pink dots, for example (which would be ~200 stickers) is pricing out at 8.22 plus shipping. The 100-sheet pack of the same dots is about $35 plus shipping.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I saw the smaller quantities. And if they had .5 inch dots, I would probably go for it.

100 sheets would be enough for about 50 years at current rate of usage. Even assuming a fair bit of growth, still 20 years' worth. [Big Grin]

skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
...3/4 inch by 3/8 inch

At that size they would be called stickers or sticky tabs rather than labels. Oriental Trading Co has about 1000 varieties.

You could get one of those Brother PTouch tape label printers.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Oriental Trading has nothing remotely like what I'm looking for.

The PTouch is an interesting notion. It just doesn't seem very cost effective. However, if price were no object, I'd absolutely be getting a PT-1950 right now.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Can't help you on the labels, but if you do need to cut them down, Kinko's has paper cutters out on the tables that you can just walk in and use.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

How about the Avery 5109's and a color laser printer?
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

quote:

I'd be ok with circles if they were smaller -- say .5 inch diameter

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by skillery:
How about the Avery 5109's and a color laser printer?

Because that would be much more cost-conscious? [Wink]

And those round ones aren't printable, I don't think.

Anyway, we've decided to just get the full-sheet Avery labels. I created a template and the little labels, so we're ready to go. [Smile]

Thanks again to everyone for their help!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.