FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Half Americans admit to re-gifting

Author Topic: Half Americans admit to re-gifting
NicholasStewart
Member # 9781

- posted      Profile for NicholasStewart   Email NicholasStewart         Edit/Delete Post 
Half Americans admit to re-gifting

quote:
NEW YORK (Reuters Life!) - Wrapping up that unwanted picture frame from last Christmas and giving it to someone else as a gift might not be as taboo as it once was, according to a study released on Wednesday.

The survey of 1,505 American adults, conducted by market research firm Harris Interactive, found that over half of the respondents admitted to "re-gifting" with passing on gifts becoming a far more common and acceptable phenomenon.

http://tinyurl.com/o3h8b

I found this interesting: "The study showed that nine percent of people admitted that they re-gifted out of laziness to purchase a new gift and four percent confessed that they re-gifted out of dislike for the recipient."

I have no problem with re-gifting most of the time.

[ October 05, 2006, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: NicholasStewart ]

Posts: 65 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks!

And welcome to Hatrack! [Smile]

[ October 05, 2006, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I blame it on the stupid tradition of mandatory gifts.

If the gift is mandatory, it's not really a gift.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
No housewarming present for you! [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no problem with regifting. I wouldn't regift to a close friend (though I have invited close friends to knowingly come over and have their pick of gifts I didn't want). But those kind of anonymous, social lubricant gifts like picture frames . . . I should keep a picture frame and go out and buy someone else a picture frame? I think the only people who really have a problem with regifting are the folks over at the Hallmark Store.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
If I get a gift that I personally do not desire Ill save it and give it to somebody who would appreciate it.

Usually I immedietly start thinking about who WOULD like something I get that I dont much care for.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

- posted      Profile for DaisyMae   Email DaisyMae         Edit/Delete Post 
I regift all the time. Sometimes I'll get something and think, "this is a pretty good present that someone might really appreciate, but I don't, so I'll save it and give it to someone who is more likely to." Either I already have one, or it's not my thing or whatever. Then, when in need for a thank you gift or something, I'll got through my stuff. My mother instilled a very strong sense of frugality in my mind. I would not be offended to learn that a gift I had given was regifted, as long as it is not given back to ME. [Wink]
Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DaisyMae:
Sometimes I'll get something and think, "this is a pretty good present that someone might really appreciate, but I don't, so I'll save it and give it to someone who is more likely to."

I often think that of gifts [Smile] I think that as long as the item is still new, regifting is completely acceptable. A regifted present can be thoughtful just as much as a newly- purchased gift can be given without much consideration to the interests of a person.
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by NicholasStewart:
Half Americans admit to re-gifting

Hobbits are very sensible folk.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have to re-gift. I get gift cards for christmas. Therefore, I can get what I want. I'm a very hard person to buy for because I really don't want anything. However, my family and friends insist on getting me stuff.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] plaid.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
That was my first thought -- hobbits and mathoms and . . .
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No housewarming present for you! [Wink]
You are certainly under no obligation to do so. [Wink]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.