FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Blayne Bradley: Good information :)

Author Topic: Blayne Bradley: Good information :)
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, I asked Papa Moose to lock the thread, so I cannot add this there. I just wanted you to know what I am doing and to have a few phone numbers, too.

At this point, I think it's unlikely that anyone would come and disrupt your family (such as by removing anyone from the house) unless somebody's life is at immediate risk. It doesn't sound like that is the case -- more that maybe your family can use a few additional resources to get through a tough spot.

I talked to Michelle at the KidsHelp national hotline (1-800-668-6868). You can call there anytime for help & information and not give your name. They offer free, 24-hour, confidential and anonymous telephone and Internet counseling, as well as referral service for children and youth aged four to 19 years. She gave me the number for Child Protection Services in Montreal, but I have not called them yet.

I also have not given anyone your name yet.

That part is important, because everything is still anonymous. If you want to be in charge of who knows what and when, I think that would be a great thing. If you can't deal with this, though, I have to. I don't think that would be a bad thing to happen, but I think it would be better if you knew what was going on and could stay in control of taking care of yourself and your brother.

I will try to email this to you if I find an email address that works.

[ October 07, 2006, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Blayne, I am trying to wait on going further until I hear from you. Please let me know if you are willing to be involved (which would make it less complicated and much more under your control).

I will wait another few hours for feedback from you on how to proceed.

If anyone has access to Blayne through another venue, please let him know this. I have already emailed him at his named Gmail account. Thanks.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
*bump* for Blayne to read.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
sent reply.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I'm just about to get out of my seat at this point when my brother says "hell calm down" but as soon as my dad walks away he jumps out of the ccar and proceeds to punch him in the back as my dad was walking away.

quote:
I always worry about blows to the back or chest, because this does deliver an electrical charge. CPR used to be jump-started sometimes with a solid blow to the sternum, which usually releases about 90 volts (if I recall correctly) through the heart. Your father really, really should not be hitting you guys this hard anyway, but this is extra dangerous.
In the first quote, Blayne says it is the brother that hits the dad in the back. In the second quote, CT attributes this hit in the back to the dad. CT, I think you misread this. I don't know if this gives you second thoughts about reporting it or not, but I thought I would bring it to your attention.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Thanks for the clarification, Amanecer. I appreciate it.

Blayne, I wrote you back, and I'll continue our conversation there. Thanks.

Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne- I don’t know what is fully happening, I used to be a lurker at hatrack, but now I have no time. Someone linked me to some things here and I saw your/CT’s threads. As I don’t know what is fully happening I’m just going to provide some general links and hopefully some will be of help...

http://www.afe.gouv.qc.ca/english/demarche/indexDemarcheEtudiantsAng.asp

http://www.mess.gouv.qc.ca/securite-du-revenu/programmes-mesures/assistance-emploi/index_en.asp

http://www.kidshelpphone.ca/en/

http://www.fmc.ca/

http://www.shelternet.ca/splashPage.htm

http://www.habitation.gouv.qc.ca/en/locataires/aide_financiere.html

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

k ehre's what I posted:

quote:

I live in a godforsaken corner of Quebec, I am 19 years old and attend college.

Enough is Enough, throughout High school I have been always picked on and I’ve only ever wanted to be left alone. Some very bad things within my family have happened and I have been suggested by some caring people online to come to here to express my thoughts. I am now very frustrated, with my life, with my schooling and above all with my problems with my family and the situation is getting out of hand.

I’ll start off by saying that I am studying Computer Science in College and I know a thing or two about computers. Why is this important? Its simply the most clear example of the lack of respect I receive from my family, when one of my parents has any difficulty with computers they’ll ask everyone conceivable person they can first regardless of the severity of the problem and only consult me when it has gone horribly horribly wrong only because they suspect I have had something to do with making not work in the first place and lecture me on how I apparently don’t care about anything and couldn’t in their view be bothered to help when in reality I tried several times to input in my opinion only to be shot down.

Also because we live in a very remote area it is as such very difficult to get anywhere, there is only one train that comes in and leaves, there are no buses here and I do not speak hardly any French further isolating me, from finding decent employment, from possible friends here. So when I ask for rides I generally have to do a billion things first before they even consider driving me making me very reluctant to travel outside a given area, and as computer games took a greater hold of what I consider entertaining the few times I wished to leave the house and visit friends when I entered college were restricted as I couldn’t bring the computer I received as a Christmas present.

It is a gift it is mine, and yet they constantly make decisions under the impression as if it wasn’t mine, going as far as to criticize me for having gasp computer games, movies and music on a computer that in their minds should be used 100% for work purposes. Then there’s the mobility rights or lack of involving them, I can only bring my desktop around to my friends by the looks of it when I have absolutely assured them 110% of its safety regardless of the fact that it is my personal property, they also ignore that attending college I have moved dozens of computers that weren’t mine and they ignore it as being one of those inconvenient facts.

These are just the tip of the iceberg I have spent years being constantly picked on, chased around, and verbally tortured by other immature students in High school and the support of teachers is poor compensation to the lukewarm advice of “ignore them” that my parents gave.

I had been set high goals such as passing French and as incentive was promised the above mentioned computer it took 6 months for them to get me one, they did but they refused to listen to my advice of simply buying all the individual parts and building it ourselves and as such saving 500$ on it and as such ending up being cheated by MDG Computers and lost 700$ and woop de doo when I do my little “I told you so” remarks to my dad he come up with excuses about how there would not have been any warranties on them or how I didn’t mention that my friends dad owned a home computer store etc. He never apologized to anything he did wrong to me or my little brother or older sister in his entire life only excuses.

Then comes my laptop, I worked all summer in horrible working mental conditions (the physical work was considerably easier then my last job the boss however was far more demanding) I decided to use the 600$ I saved up to purchase a laptop for school purposes and a tweeny bit of entertainment purposes of say going to a friends house to play Starcraft or something without having to bring my clunky desktop.

However apparently I am despite being 19 not ready for a laptop yet according to my father, my mom is nervous and you know the usual be careful you might lose it routine and understands that there are A LOT of worse things I can spend my money on, but my dad even goes as far as asking my mom to NOT drive me to buy it and insists on doing anything possible to delay me possibly purchasing it and comes up with the lamest excuses I have ever seen as to why a 19 year old college student in computer sciences should not get a cheap laptop for school purposes and is as evasive as possible when I challenge on his faulty logic.

MY mom agrees to drive me however and I get it turns out for the model I wanted I was 200$ short so my mom agrees to pay the difference as a loan until I pay her back.

The next slew of problems are this: I am in school but I am not doing particularly well, I am trying my best but I lack motivation because I had originally wanted to be a history professor and was nagged out of it by my father who has no concept of important it was to me at the time and now I believe I am suffering because of it. Do not get me wrong I like programming and yes debugging even has a certain charm to it but sometimes I think it would have been far better as a hobby then a career choice.

I am slightly overweight no sever chances of health risk but I am overweight enough for it to be noticeable I was constantly picked on about it in High school because of it and at home I am also being criticized about it as well.

I am clumsy, I had a hearing infection when I was little and my hearing comprehension and as a result my speech as been hampered because of it despite being a Anglo white Canadian there are plenty of times when I’m excited in my speech I slur my words a lot and my accent becomes similar to a Korean. At home almost on a daily basis regardless of whether he can understand my speech or not my father constantly berates me for my speech impediment corrects my grammar and focuses on it rather then the task at hand.

I am a nervous person I am not really confident about anything in the real world and as such you’ll generally see me peeling my nails, similar to people biting them I simply just peel at the ends of them. Whenever my father sees me doing this he constantly says stop that as if I was 6 years old and goes on how it’s a “neurosis” when I seriously doubt that he knows that neurosis means and/or its severity. He will constantly lecture me about my clumsiness and will try to link it to every other real or imagined defect with my life, he will go on about every past event or accident that has happened regardless of whether it were yesterday or 3 years ago. Regardless of what mistakes I make there are apparently sooo important that I must be lectured about it and thus further waste my time, he also won’t leave me alone he will go to my room see one little thing wrong and go back and forth picking out things that are out of place and question me like some Nazi interrogator as to why I didn’t do it yet.

Then there’s the money situation, I am still 200$ in debt because I was laid off from work, most likely as a result of my clumsiness sad but true I’ll get over it and I am trying my very best to get a new job. I have printed out dozens of resumes, handed them out and went on a limb to get whatever job I can. A good many places have not contacted me back as of yet. And somehow this is not good enough.

Essentially he expects me to excel in my studies, play less, have a life, not be clumsy, have no speech problems, have a job, do nothing wrong do everything I’m told without talking back or question his “orders” as this was the army. He goes above and beyond the call of duty with his parenting by demanding I write out on paper what I did during the course of the day hour by house, who I talked to, what I ate, what/when did I study etc completely ridiculous I have done nothing in life to warrant this and he does not request this out of my brother.

But these are not why frustrating as they are why I am here I am here because once again, as out of how many times I cannot count my father in a heated argument has resorted to violence in a span of 2 days against myself and my brother. These are not the first or for that matter isolated occurrences, regularly in my life in arguments with my father I will say or do something that during the course of the argument he will hit me for. One time I deeply cut myself sharpening a knife and as he was bandaging my finger I was slightly hysterical as I was light headed losing a lot of blood and he was lecturing me about how I should have been more careful and as such hits me in the head to shut me up.

But this isn’t recent that was a year ago, I can barely remember any of the other times but I do know they happen and have been becoming rather more frequent recently. Like just recently our house situation has gotten pretty bad the renovations still haven’t finished on our house, the money is tight and to top it all off we have 2 septic tanks and one of them is now full so we cant let water drain in the house for anything except showers, meaning we have to do ridiculous tasks such as constantly emptying buckets of water. It ended up that I got into a fight with my father (again) he was being very accusatory and complaining about me so I asked him in all honesty why is he constantly being an asshole towards me *note I did not consider this calling him an asshole* and I was about 2 feet or less away from him and he sucker punched me in the sternum. I was on the ground gasping for breath, in pain and crying and swearing at him in anger then my mom asked what the hell did he do he replied matter of factly “I punched him in the stomach.” Then the next morning he had the nerve to try telling me I wasn’t allowed to go to the Vault (a recreation place for teenagers, pool, smash bros, food etc.) because aparnelty bad language like eff you isn’t allowed. *note* I only said eff you after he punched me and was lying on the floor crying.

Also that morning when me and my younger brother (age 17) were waiting in the car to be driven to college my dad walked up to the passenger seat and roughly demanded that my brother hold our moms purse a reasonable request yes but my dad shoved the purse into my brothers possession and slammed the door my brother swore at him for being rude and then my father proceeded to beat on him, pull his hair and kick him while my brother is still strapped into his seat and unable to do anything, and my father did this telling my brother to be the one to calm down and once he let go and walked away because my brother said he’ld “calm down” my brother jump out of the car and attacked him from behind. My mom came upon the scene in time to prevent it from going even more out of control. My father threatening to pull the plug on the internet and complaining about how we are the ones trying to somehow give him a heart attack. And telling my brother as if he had the moral high ground how it is a very low thing to attack someone from behind.

What is the logical flaw with my father’s statement?

This violence and arguing isn’t new, it happens rather frequently now, I am sick and tired of it and all I want to do now is move out ASAP so I won’t have to deal with this anymore.

Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
Where did you post it?
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

at the place sara asked me to.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Great! I was hoping you would. I looked for it there, but it probably hasn't gone up yet.

I'll talk to you tomorrow, Blayne.

--

I'm very glad you got this written out. It has a lot of details and you may need to simplify it, but that will be easier to do now. Good job.

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, I'm glad you're taking Sara's advice and taking steps. I'm sorry you have to deal with all this, and wish you strength to get through it.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really impressed that you've taken this step, Blayne, and hope things work out for you soon.
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, I respect your courage.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Hang in there, Blayne! We are all rooting for you.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too Blayne, respect your courage. I wish you all the best.
Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
Damn dude. Sounds like the solutions to your issues are mostly cash-related. What's keeping you from the reserves?

Unless they have pre-enlistment fitness evaluations in Canada I can guarantee that your attitude towards conditioning now doesn't matter as much as the motivation you'll be handed later. Just do it dude. I think you and the military have a lot to offer each other.

Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I can't do 20 push ups yet =(
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that a requirement?

Because I think it's a good suggestion.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I do not recommend going into the military unless you know that's something you'd want to do. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

It's all about practice. In basic training I was 18 and during our fitness diagnostics I pulled out 29 puhups in two minutes and was pretty proud of myself. Three years later, having focused on that area of my body (mainly by doing pushups) doing less than 70 in one minute is disappointing.

Do three sets of ten pushups before you go to bed every night. MAKE SURE to do it no more and no less than 5 times a week. It's ok to go down a pushup or two for the second and/or third sets. Next week up it to 13. Next week 16. By then you should be able to blast out 20 no problem. And make sure to eat protein. You gotta feed the muscles.

And not doing it just because you don't feel like it isn't a good enough reason to stay stuck in your situation. That's your motivation.

Stormy - I only brought it up because Blayne has mentioned joining up in the past. Normally I am an anti-recruiter, but Blayne's situation is unique and I do feel that the reserves would offer him independence and strength he hasn't grown into yet.

Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
You can do more than one pushup a second?! [Eek!]
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

It's true. And tiring.

I think it should be put in context though. An AF PT test is broken down by a minute of pushups, a minute of situps, and a 1.5 mile run. So that's what I train for. But that stupid run gets me every time.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

quote:

I do feel that the reserves would offer him independence and strength he hasn't grown into yet.

Maybe.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

I do feel that way. Really.
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
What time do u need to get on the run?
I'm 15 and I already meet the requirements lol.

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I believe you, airmanfour. I just don't look at the military as very good at character building. It puts you in stressful situations, and if you do well,super, but if not, oh, well.

I've known people who didn't do well in the military. At all. Perhaps you have as well. *significant look*

On the other hand, I have known people for whom the military helped them be better people by forcing htem to exercise and giving structure to their lives and giving them goals to strive for.

I just don't want people to look at the military as a magical cure for their problems. Face your problems, if you can, and learn to overcome them. If you can't overcome them and you need to get away from them so that you can grow, great. Fine. But understand that getting out of a situation doesn't do anything if you've still got problems of your own. (And I am speaking generically, not of Blayne or anyone else.)

airmanfour
Member # 6111

It's done on a point system. I can max the pushups and get pretty high in the situps, but as you can see, it's the run and waist size that really matter.

All the charts (really small type)

Regular type, more work

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I need to do 19 situps, 20 pushups, and not have high blood pressure when doing the endurance test.

The third being following the music being played stepping up and down 3 steps. Very hard.

Failed all 3 {>"}> High blood pressure ftl <{"<}

airmanfour
Member # 6111

The Air Force is irritating. Bunches of pointless stuff, and little to no recognition of individual worth or achievement other than the occasional mandatory briefing on our time telling 300 people how great they all are.

All I think about when at work (completely not AF related) or thinking about work is not screwing up so the world doesn't end, and when I don't and the world doesn't, I go home and dread the next day.

That's not the typical experience by any means, but pointlessness and redundency is service-wide, and that's mostly what makes re-enlisting a non-option for me. It is in no way a cure-all, but it does allow for opportunities not available elsewhere.

airmanfour
Member # 6111

The pushup thing will work, and a similer program with situps will too. Try em with something heavy on your chest. CT could probably tell you what not to eat to make the blood pressure thing better.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I've just gotten up the courage to read this post at the top...

So.. Blayne, aside from the ear infection and speach problem, have you beee diagnosed with any developmental difficulties or learning disorders? You seem to have alot of social problems (not helped by your parents ripping up your self-esteem), and I wonder if some of that has to do more with your ability to communicate than with your clumsiness.

Speaking from the position of a supervisor at my own workplace, I find that reliable communicators, who comprehend what I want them to do and who tell me what I need to know, are far easier to work with than people who are simply strong or physically gifted. You may not be the picture of perfect health, but this blaming your clumsiness for losing you your job is disengenuous, at least from what I can glean out of your post. From what I know about communicating with you, you are eager to talk, but not always able to be clear. Do you have a very hard time explaining things to people and getting them to know what you want in daily life? Like if you were wanting to hang out with a friend, would it be a challenge for you to call them on the phone and explain your plan to them?

It sounds like your father has given up on you, which I hate to hear- especially since it doesn't seem that he made a big effort to help you out in life when you were still a kid. Now every reaction to your problems is punitive, and he wants, needs, to find fault with you to prove that things are not his own fault.

This business of bringing up old situations and retraumatizing you smacks of the worst kind of emotional abuse. I can understand this very well, I had an older sister who was emotionally abusive throughout my childhood- and that was the trademark tool for harrassment. Part of it, I have always thought, was that the person abusing you in this way can't stand the idea of you escaping their influence. Your father, intellectually, wants you to improve in some way. But if you do, its galling, because everything he set up against you will be proved wrong if you succeed, so he sabotages you to have control over your relationship, and control over you. My sister did this to me, always undermining and keeping stories and bad memories in reserve, to remind me of my failures and weakness so that all I could remember of my middle childhood were traumatizing incidents, and the niggling revival of those traumas again and again. My sister still tries to do this to me- and i am in my twenties now. But you know what? I got away from her and I stay away, because manipulative people don't change, and they never get enough of torturing you. Get away. Far away.

First, I would focus my efforts on avoiding confrontation with your father. Seems like the opposite of traditional advice: hash it out, but I think with people like your dad, the relationship in its present form, is irreparable. Maybe in the future, when you are stable as a person and have a life that is less dependent on his approval, you can seek some kind of understanding, but that time is not now. Now is time to start that growth and life by getting away. Your father seems positively geared towards keeping you inneffective and weak, even as he abuses you for it. Don't stand up to him, just get away from him. He is more skilled at finding ways to abuse and manipulate you than you probably even realize- and for people in your vulnerable state, escape is the only option. Stay under his radar, try and give him no excuse to abuse you. That means doing some of the things he wants and surpising him by cutting off any excuse he might have to get in your face. ANYTHING you know is going to annoy him, try to keep it from becoming an issue, try to keep the situation within your control.

That's my very best advice, I hope you get away.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

*nods*
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I was never diagnosed with any form of learning disability although the page im looking at would imply I may have some of tis side affects I'll need to do some more research.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.