FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hello, my name is Alcon and I'm a Tea-aholic.

Author Topic: Hello, my name is Alcon and I'm a Tea-aholic.
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been drinking tea since I was four, I go through probably 3 or 4 cups a day easily, mostly decafe or herbal. I'll make a cup and it'll just disappear. I won't even notice it going. It'll just be gone.

It just happened to me again. I made a cup of decafe Earl Grey to have something to sip at while I worked on something. I just examined my cup and it's empty. I have no memory of finish it, it's just gone. Very depressing.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 18-ounce beer mug (which says "ebay cares" on it, but that's another story...) which I use to consume mass quantities of tea each day. Smaller cups don't work for me, because it takes too much effort to brew a cup of tea just to see it all disappear in two minues. Sadly, because of a health issue, I have to limit the amounts of black tea and especially green tea that I drink. Luckily, there are a lot of herbal teas out there.

Yum, tea. [Smile]

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just thinking about how much I needed tea!
If Only I was not boiling these stupid potatoes. I got this 500 GRAM CAN OF EARL GREY TEA! It's great, and recently I discovered Lady Grey which is quite nice mixed with Earl Grey...
Maybe I'll just take these potatoes and put them in the large pot.
*goes to do that*

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
That's tea-totaller
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm tea. [Smile]

I love it.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I like tea, but I love coffee.
There was a health thing I just read about drinking tea(black or green) being good for ___________________.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Green and black tea...antioxidents...heart health, I think it was. Or veins or something like that.

I looooove tea. I'm a great believer in the tangible and intangible health benefits that are the result of drinking ridiculously large amounts of tea. Fennel for acid reflux, chamomile to sleep and for anxiety, green tea in the morning for a small jumpstart and antioxients, bilberry for stronger retinas. And I can't have peppermint tea anymore, but studies show that peppermint is a mood elevator. I think that's true. Plus, there's the comfort that comes from holding a hot mug of tea in cold hands and inhaling the steam. Just makes the day better.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Alcon most people when they say tea, mean red, or green.

You might consider trying some of the Chinese teas that are made from flowers or fruit. Wheat tea, Winter Melon (Winter Goard tea) are both AMAZING IMO. Lemon tea and Jasmine are pretty high up there for me as well.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Never was much for hot tea, but back when I was employed I used to drink several pitchers of iced tea a day. Now I just have a couple pots of coffee each morning instead.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Outside of America, few people call herbal teas "tea" at all. They're usually called "infusions."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stacey
Member # 3661

- posted      Profile for stacey           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In New Zealand when you are invited in for a cup of tea it is always black. If you have green tea or rasberry tea, that needs to be said beforehand otherwise it is assumed you are serving normal tea. I have never been invited in for any kind of herbal tea, and only know a few people that drink it, thats just not the norm in NZ
Posts: 315 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

When people say 'tea' I always assume black. Just how I was raised. Tea in my family meant black tea, usually of the Twinnings variety.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to love Irish Breakfast from Peet's. It's the one thing I sacrificed when I converted that I miss.

But I'm actually glad that I gave it up; it made it easier for me to give up most decaffeinated sodas so that I can reserve them for when I really need them (blood pressure issues; they don't give me that quick boost as well if I've been consuming lots of caffeine.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
Outside of America, few people call herbal teas "tea" at all. They're usually called "infusions."
Sorry I should have specified more [Wink]

In China they definately call it tea thats where most of my tea experience comes from.

I personally won't drink tea leaves, but there are some GREAT teas out there. Wheat tea tastes really good served hot or cold.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
The only kind of tea that I like really is Chai. I can't get into black or green, only things that have nice spices.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm like that, except with green tea instead of Chai. I've tried to drink other types, but I just don't like them as well. Not even close.

(As an aside, every time someone mentions Chai tea, I hear Lisa Simpson's recipe for dealing with stress: "Tai Chi, Chai tea...")

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm obsesseed with tea. I have had all kinds of tea (meaning black, red, green, or white) and I have to say that my favorite is still black tea. Orange Pekoe is the best (it's what Salada serves) and I'm addicted. The only problem is that now my hot pot broke, and so I have nothing to heat up water with. It's a dilemma that I must soon rectify.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like you need Al-Alcon.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:
I like tea, but I love coffee.

I love the Java Jive and it loves me.
quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:
Hello, my name is Alcon and I'm a Tea-aholic.

But I'm not getting involved in Tea-ahol. Feh.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I want tea. *glare*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Just visited this store over the weekend and they have an online site too.

http://www.teavana.com/

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh. I hate tea. I also hate crumpets, rich tea biscuits, cricket and rain.

Anyone else think I was born in the wrong country?

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

Or "tisanes."
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, my name is Mig, and I'm a teaholic.

Every morning at about 10 I need my cup of Earl Grey. When I'm feeling adventures, I go for the chinese Lapsang Souchong tea, which has a nice smoky flavour.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
The coffee machine here broke down the other day. (Sure, we can maintain a 100-million-dollar linear accelerator, not to mention the thirty-ton detector, but a coffee machine? Nah...) I was gloating all day at the looks on the faces of the poor coffee drinkers. They'd come swinging into the kitchen, expecting to get their fix, and they'd see the machine gone, and the looks on their faces would be just priceless! It was absolutely the classic five stages : Disbelief, anger, and so on up to acceptance. (One of them demonstrated this quite nicely; on being told there was a coffee machine down in building 40, he responded "Nah - it's just too far.") Bwah-hah, tea for the win!
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I looooove green tea. Although I should probably be careful with drinking it, since supposedly it speeds up the metabolism.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In Portugal (my only real "outside the U.S." experience), they use the same word (cha) for "real" tea and herbal teas, and they are big herbal tea drinkers. The term "cha preto" (black tea) is commonly used to distinguish, and everyone knows what it means.

I can't get used to the word infusion--perhaps because it sounds too much like transfusion to me? I like the idea of it, because it's descriptive of what it is. But I guess not having grown up hearing it, it sounds more like a medical or scientific term than something I want to drink on a chilly afternoon! Now, "tisane" I might be able to train myself to say.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

I first heard tisane in David Gemmell's Rigante series. It took me a surprisingly long time to figure out what he was talking about. And then I thought it was just a word he'd made up for his alternate celtic world. Till I ran across it in a dictionary.

I actually kinda like it better than "infusion" or "herbal tea".

Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
Tea is great. My best friend is half Indian, and her dad used to make us tea all the time. Lots of sugar and milk. It's like ambrosia. Hmmm, tea.

I've finally got to a point where I can drink tea without sugar and milk, but for years I just couldn't do it. Of course, I also spent a lot of time in Mississippi when I was a kid, and I like sweet tea. Unfortunately there are only a couple of places in Chicago that offer Real sweet tea.

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
In Portugal (my only real "outside the U.S." experience), they use the same word (cha) for "real" tea and herbal teas, and they are big herbal tea drinkers. The term "cha preto" (black tea) is commonly used to distinguish, and everyone knows what it means.

That's fascinating. Do you know the etymology of the Porteguese 'cha?' I ask because that is the same word as tea in Mandarin Chinese. I'm not too aware of the history of tea but I wonder if when tea was brought from China, it carried the name as well as the leaves?
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect that is the case, BaoQT, although I've never studied it.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I first heard tisane in David Gemmell's Rigante series.

And I first ran across it when Hercule Poirot requested one from his faithful secretary Miss Lemon. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
I first heard tisane in David Gemmell's Rigante series.

And I first ran across it when Hercule Poirot requested one from his faithful secretary Miss Lemon. [Wink]
And I first became acquainted with the term after seeing it on a box of herb tea.

My life is so mundane.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

quote:
I've finally got to a point where I can drink tea without sugar and milk, but for years I just couldn't do it.
I still don't really drink tea with out sugar and milk. It's just better that way if you ask me.
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
So....? First milk then tea, or first tea then milk?

For the record Black Tea fights stress.

Telegraph.co.uk - Tea Sooths the Troubled Mind say scientist.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/health/2006/10/09/ntea05.xml

Personally, I love Lipton tea. Yes, I know it's a very unsophisticated tea, but it has a wonderfully naturally sweet flavor. I've loved it as a kid, and as an adult. Of course, always best with milk and a hint of sugar.

For what it's worth.

Steve/bboyminn

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
No sugar in my Earl Grey tea and if i want to add the milk to the tea I'll do that.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.