FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Random question (legal experts?)

Author Topic: Random question (legal experts?)
genius00345
Member # 8206

- posted      Profile for genius00345   Email genius00345         Edit/Delete Post 
I just had a friend ask me this question:

If an illegal alien married a legal US citizen, is it a legal marriage?

I thought maybe some jatraquero might know.

Posts: 206 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you have to be a citizen to get married in the US -- my dad wasn't a citizen when he married my mom, for example.

But in case things are different outside Maryland, I would think that both parties need some sort of ID (drivers license, passport?) to recieve a marriage license. If the ID is forged, I'd assume the license would be void.

--j_k, who is not a legal expert

[ October 08, 2006, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: James Tiberius Kirk ]

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a legal marriage, but there are major visa issues: see here for a quick description.

If your friend is considering marrying any non-citizen with the intention of evetually living it the US with him/her, I'd suggest that your friend hire an immigration lawyer specializing in family visas (not work visas, like the H1-B). You want someone who is a member of American Immigration Lawyers Assoc. An immigration lawyer will speed the process along, be able to answer any questions, and will help with the massive amounts of paperwork.

I've been told that it'll cost about $4000 for the lawyer fees and fees for the visas, all told, and I'm marrying a foreigner who has his papers in order...

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.