FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » *** WE PASSED *** (Update: I'm officially a lawyer!) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: *** WE PASSED *** (Update: I'm officially a lawyer!)
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to both of you!!!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
One more who isn't surprised in the least.

Also, Dag:

Last year I had a remedial math student who basically refused to do any work. Part of my class is to put together a portfolio to present to their parents. One of the assignments in the portfolio was to write an essay describing a career that the student was interested in and how math related to that career.

This particular student decided he was going to be a lawyer (because he didn't see how lawyers would need to do math). After I took him to a career fair where the lawyers told him about wills and divorce settlements, he told me that the only math he would need to do is adding and subtracting.

About that time you started a thread on a logic question. Something that related to the sentencing phase, IIRC. I printed out the whole thread, and gave it to him, along with a Math website on your basic inverse, converse and contrapositive (to prove that it really was math).

Long story short is that it shut him up, and his essay actually sounded like he finally believed he was going to have to learn math. That was a culminating project, so it was the end of the year. I'm curious to see if it stuck with him.

But anyway, I thought you might be interested to know that.

And congratulations!! Both of you!

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations to both of you. Here's to sailing through the rest of the process. Can't wait to see your "Happy Swearing In Day" thread.
Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
That's very cool, Glenn. [Smile] Math is a big help - wills, divorce, sentencing, contracts, DNA, fingerprinting, torts. Not to mention finance and accounting, which are both useful for most types of attorneys.

It's possible - not likely, but possible - that the OJ trial would have turned out different had someone with a modicum of statistics been on the prosecution team.

Beyond that, the way of thinking one hones in math is very useful in law. Formal data design and normalization - which has its basis in set algebra - gets the mind working in a way that is incredibly useful in learning law.

quote:
We really need to get this thread adjacent to Belle's colonoscopy thread.
I was thinking it was pretty funny when it was at the top, below the sticky thread. [Smile]

We've been calling relatives and answering the phone "House of the Two Lawyers." Of course, we're not lawyers yet, but I think we'll be OK. [Smile]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
This is great to hear, Dag. Congratulations to you both!

Maybe I'll get to start an "I PASSED" thread in a few years. [Smile]

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent work. Also not surprised, but take a big, fat CONGRATULATIONS anyway. [Smile]
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, you did! Congratulations again! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's possible - not likely, but possible - that the OJ trial would have turned out different had someone with a modicum of statistics been on the prosecution team.

Heh. I'll agree with the "not likely", for sure. I remember everyone staying in from morning break (I was in Jr. HS at the time) and watching news reports waiting for the verdict to be announced-- and both hoping that justice was served but also kind of knowing that if he was found guilty there would be more riots-- and no one wanted that, we all remembered the riots.

I think it was very politically expedient for him to get off. (Not saying it was right.)

Sorry for the slight digression. Congratulations to you both, I never doubted you would pass. [Smile]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
CONGRATULATIONS! After reading your a lot of your posts in this forum, I will echo what everyone else is saying...
I never doubted you would pass!
Congratulations to both of you!

Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Does this mean Dag should change his profile to say "Lawyer" instead of "Law Student"?
Congrats to Dagonee and Eve.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
YAY!!!!!!!!
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Much 'ray for...
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

As of yesterday, I'm a licensed attorney. I have some business registration things to do before I practice, but I'm officially a lawyer now.

Eve has to take the MPRE before she gets her license, but it's an entirely different beast than the bar exam. They recommend you study for 24 total hours, it's only 60 multiple choice questions, and the passing score is 85 out of a range of 50-150. So it's basically a formality to demonstrate you've read the rules of professional ethics at some point.

So she's got minor hoops left, and I'm a lawyer!

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so impressed. You two are going to set the world on fire.

And then have to testify against one another.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

We have absolute privilege to refuse to testify against each other in a criminal case.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
True story

Way to go Dag!

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
So when are you gonna change your profile, already? [Razz]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, welcome to the club.

[Hat]

Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.