FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Name my oud.

Author Topic: Name my oud.
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
This is not intended as a parody of Orincoro's "Name my Guitar" thread. At least, that's not it's only purpose. [Smile] While in Lebanon and Syria this past summer, I got me an oud. A oud looks something like this. Back and front.
It has twelve strings (The bass string is doubled) I really like playing it when I get the chance. Does anyone have any name suggestions?

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Banjo
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
*waits patiently for a female to start a "Name My IUD" thread*
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like a gourd to me. How about Gourdie?

How do you pronounce "oud"? Does it rhyme with proud or food?

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Staying with Uprooted's idea...

Geordi LaForge

[Big Grin]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
It looks like a gourd to me. How about Gourdie?

How do you pronounce "oud"? Does it rhyme with proud or food?

Strangely, I'd assumed it was pronounced "weed".

Gosh Darn the french!!

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Arabic: al'ud

Cool Hand Loot

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
The Raven's Top 10 Oud Names

10) Woody. (you can play with your Woody in public. Of course you then need to do a duet with someone who's instrument is named Buzz)

9) Buzz (Because A'lud means The Wood, and Buzz and Woody go together)

(Honest, I am trying to kee this clean. You all should clean your minds. For shame)

8) Lee. (That way you'd have an Oud Lee instrument)

7) The Barbarian. (What a billing, FTS and his Barbarian Oud)

6) Junior. (That way people could tell you apart. Junior is the small one.)

5) Nathaniel Worthington Rothchild Paris Filmore Ashington the Fourth. (Intro line when performing, "This instrument is named Nathaniel Worthington Rothchild Paris Filmore Ashington the Fourth, but I just calls it Oud.")

4) Screech. (Its such an under rated name)

3) Da Bomb. (It would make getting it on an aiplane a fun and exciting spectator game. "Do you wish to check that luggage sir?" "No. That's where I keep Da Bomb.")

2) Excelsior. (Hey, if it was good enough for Kublia Khan...)

1) Dan.

Everything is better when named Dan.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Call it Tante.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Frisco:
*waits patiently for a female to start a "Name My IUD" thread*

Why? It's already got a name.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like a girl with an "ine" at the end of the name. Like Justine or Francine. Or you could go with an Arabic name like Leila, Jamila, Samira.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that Tara Ried advertising the IUD?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan_Raven -- you are a very funny man
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you determine whether your oud is femine or masculine.

I think you should give it an eastern sounding name, perhaps Zarin (golden), Zeba (pretty), Mariha (joyful), or Bahija (happy).

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
Das Oud!
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
That's so cool that you have an oud. I love that instrument. Unless I'm forgetting some, I think I've got 12 albums from three different oud players in my collection, and they're all fantastic. I'm not going to tell you who they are, though, because I want to know who your favorites are first.

Actually, one of them you've probably never heard of. I hadn't either until last Sunday. I took my wife to a concert I read about in the newspaper. It featured a musician named Rahim Alhaj who played original compositions on the oud with a string quartet. The guy was born in Iraq, but came to Albuquerque in 2000 as a political refugee after he said one too many bad things about Saddam. And it's lucky he lives in my city, or he probably never would have played here. The concert was incredible. The performances, compositions and arrangements were all so good I actually got one of his CDs in the lobby after the show, which I rarely do. So he's one of the three oud players I've got.

Anyway, congrats on the purchase, and godspeed with the learning. I don't think I dare try to name the beast, but I will be so bold as to request that you post a picture of it, and maybe tell me who your oud heroes are. I'm assuming you have some; I don't know if it's possible to become a proficient musician without a little idol worship somewhere in there.

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I will say that the name I settled on for my guitar was part of a contest at my teen center: "Mona Lisa" turned out to be the winning entry.

By far the most popular entry was "Funky McSix-string," which was just all wrong for classical guitar.

Personally I think you need to first decide the GENDER of your oud before you go about naming him/her. What are its characteristics? What are its gender-specific attributes? Then pick a name of some significance, (or absolutely no significance at all) which is distinctive and memorable.

A friend named her viola "Zoe," and I am a fan of the very simple instrumental naming model.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NicholasStewart
Member # 9781

- posted      Profile for NicholasStewart   Email NicholasStewart         Edit/Delete Post 
Frank
Posts: 65 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Baron S.

Since I got the instrument, I've been listening around for a style that really hits home with me. Although I haven't really tried it out much, I have some um kalthoum sheet music. Whoever played oud for her was awesome.

In Damascus, I went to dinner at a restaurant. A guy got up, plugged in a microphone, and started playing. The music was so flowing and energetic. I wish I could play like that.

I'm in university, about a half hour from my home, so no pictures yet. I'm loving the suggestions. Keep them coming.

The most fun I had on the oud was when I taught myself "Ace of Spades", by Motorhead.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.