FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Child Beauty Pageants

Author Topic: Child Beauty Pageants
stacey
Member # 3661

- posted      Profile for stacey           Edit/Delete Post 
We pretty much never get these or hear of any being held in New Zealand. Everytime I see them on American TV or movies I feel sick, they really disgust me. But having been a tomboy all my life, I just do not understand at all why these kids would want to dress up and act the way they do when they could be doing things that in my opinion are way more fun. I was wondering if anyone on Hatrack took their children to these pageants and could shed some light on the matter for me? Do these kids really like doing this? Most of the time on the movie or tv show it is the mother pushing the little girl to do it, but thats just tv....

(I just went to see Little Miss Sunshine, which rocks, and thats what got me wondering why)

Posts: 315 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I do hope you realize that that scene was severe hyberbole/satire [Smile] . I really don't think they're as common as movies and tv make them out to be, I have never known someone who has been in or even been to one. I've never heard of one happening. But then, I live on the east coast, maybe it's a west coast thing?
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
My old roommate was a former teen beauty queen. I don't know when she started, though. She was from Texas. She said when she went to pageants, everybody did a lot of cocaine. But those are probably really different from the child pageants.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stacey
Member # 3661

Haha yeah I did realise that [Smile] It was pretty funny, especially the presenter/host guy.
Posts: 315 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I won as pageant when I was a baby. The judges liked my bald head and my need to give them all high-fives. I've got this 4 and half foot trophy in my closet back at my parent's house.

My mom's friends tried to talk her into keeping up with it. They wanted to make competition outfit and stuff. I am SO glad my mother didn't take that route with me.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Promethius
Member # 2468

- posted      Profile for Promethius           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is pretty sick how they dress little girls up as women and stuff their shirts. I want to vomit how they sexualize little girls.
Posts: 473 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a little girl I got all kinds of invitations to child beauty pageants. My mom never would have let me do it, even if I'd wanted to.

Some kids were handing out forms in the park and approached me when they saw me with Emma once when we were there. I politely declined.

I have had several child model agencies approach me and ask to have us come in for an interview, too. But I haven't, because I know my child's personality and I know that it would not be good for her. Now, if they just wanted Bridget, I'd let 'em photograph her all they wanted before she was old enough to care, start her college fund, and quit before she was old enough to be traumatized or get bored or anything. But there's the whole car issue, and anyway apparently toddlers are more in demand than babies (especially ones who are not old enough to sit up yet.) I just know that Ems couldn't handle it, at least at this point.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Promethius:
I think it is pretty sick how they dress little girls up as women and stuff their shirts. I want to vomit how they sexualize little girls.

I've never seen stuffed shirts in little girl beauty pageants; what kind of places are you going to?

But I agree that the makeup and the dancing and posing can get awfully sexualized, and I don't approve one whit.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if there have ever been any longitudinal studies of girls who were in pageants. The whole scene sort of squicks me out, but then I don't think adult beauty pageants are all that healthy a thing either.

But, hey, maybe it's all neutral or even positive in the girls' lives. I don't know.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
I equate them with those loser moms who are trying to get their girls to become Hollywood starlets. You have heard things about those horrible stage moms who sacrifice their whole lives living through their children.

I have started buying and selling clothes on ebay which has TONS of new and used pageant outfits in the catagories I am looking at. These things are ridiculous and they sell for $100's. Who has that kind of money?

$152
$155
$430

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stacey
Member # 3661

Ew Ew Ew, I think that I would have had a screaming tantrum fit and never forgiven my parents if they had tried to get me into one of those dresses! I never ever (and still don't) wore pink and was against anything girly looking.

One of the things I hate most (from what I've seen) about it is that it is just so FAKE. All that makeup is usually way too overdone, more than any grown woman would usually wear. They are taught to smile those fake little smiles (you hardly ever see a genuine one, one that looks as if the girl or boy is really excited to be there), walk those fake little walks. For little children that don't know any better they are essentially being taught that for people to like you, you have to be fake. The only thing that is usually real are the talent parts, I wish that they would just make them talent quests instead of beauty pageants.

NB: I have VERY limited experience with beauty pageants. (I have only ver seen them on TV or movies.)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.