FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Thoughts on Atatürk

Author Topic: Thoughts on Atatürk
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
I have never been able to come to grips with myself over Kemal Atatürk. I cannot help but admire his energy and commitment, and he helped save Turkey from the fate of most Middle Eastern Countries. On the other hand, I am disturbed by his often extreme nationalism, and could not help but scoff at the Cult of Atatürk I saw in Turkey.

It hardly helps that almost all information is either Greek (ant-Kemal) or Turkish (pro-Kemal) propaganda.

I was wondering what other Hatrackers thought.

Please be civil.

Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to me that if he wasn't actually involved in the Armenian genocide, he at least knew about it. It further seems that he more than knew about it but did participate.

Whatever else he may have done in his life, the mass starvation and slaughter of civilians is a crime against humanity which must, in fairness, stain his reputation and that of the Turkish state forever.

If he directly participated in some phase of it (which seems probable given his position among the "Young Turks"), he is doubly damned, imo.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have never been able to come to grips with myself over Kemal Atatürk.
I have resolved to take this as my motto.

"Tom," idle passers-by will ask, "what's on your mind?"

"I," I shall reply, "am continuing to attempt to come to grips with myself over the matter of Kemal Ataturk."

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
You forgot those two little dots over the u, Tom. That's bound to confuse some of your listeners.

Pelegius...why bother with the dotted u when the name is a transliteration from another language altogether? Seriously, I'm not asking to be rude. I just wonder why it seems necessary to use it in this case.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

Becouse it isn't in a translation from another language. The Turkish Mustafa Kemal Atatürk = the English Mustafa Kemal Atatürk. We could spell it differently, but I don't really see the point. Japan may be a bastard transliteration of ??, but the fact that it is a transliteration gives some permit, Turkish is generaly not transliterated as its alphabet is essentialy Latin, albeit with several extra letters, which my mac refuses to type.
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Thanks...how is it pronounced? I was going with:

at - uh - terk

(which is how I'd pronouce it without the ü)

Is that correct?

By the way, I found a fascinating Wiki on the Turkish alphabet. The modified Latin one was (as you no doubt know) introduced by Atatürk in 1928. Prior to that, Turkish had been written with an Arabic alphabet.

Since prior to this I was mostly familiar with old sources of Turkish writing, I didn't realize that there had been an official switch. I really did think this was a transliteration. Thanks for the correction, especially since it lead to an interesting bit of reading.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I maintain that it is easier to come to grips with Ataturk without any dots over his vowels, in umlaut form or otherwise. This is true of most things.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

"at - uh - terk"

Yes. Curiously the name Turkey is one of the few Turkish words to be transliterated, from the Turkish" Türkiye." Of course, it has been known as Turkey since well before the 1923 alphabet.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

So, why'd they name their country after a delicious bird that isn't even native to that part of the world?

It just BEGS to be made fun of.

And as for you, Tom, I would appreciate it if you, henceforth, pronounce my name as:

Bôb_Şčôpąŧz

This is just a silly affectation on my part, but I intend to have my successors build a cult of personality surrounding it.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Why did they rename Constantinople?
I think I read somewhere that Istanbul means "the City"... is that true?

I also read that some Greeks had/have an almost "Zionist" dream of reclaiming the City.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

"Why did Constantinople get the works?
That's nobody's business but the Turks'."

- Istanbul (not Constantinople).

I always assumed it must have to do with not wanting to immortalize a hated conqueror. I can't account for calling the place Istanbul -- also a name begging to be made fun of on the open market -- but at least the general populace's antipathy toward Constantine, and Rome in general, might account for wanting any name change.

Pelegius
Member # 7868

Istanbul means "in the city." I cannot be certain, but my guess is that the Muslim Ottomans did not want to commerate a famously Christian monarch. Turkey then being more religious than now.
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
I maintain that it is easier to come to grips with Ataturk without any dots over his vowels, in umlaut form or otherwise. This is true of most things.

Thıs beıng so, why do you ınsıst on putting that sılly dot over all your ı's?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I myself am undecided about spots.

7 triva points for the source.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I have no use for triva points.

- Bôb_Şčôpąŧz

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
They can be exchanged for gifts and priiiizes.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.