FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help me pick a novel to write about

Author Topic: Help me pick a novel to write about
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
No this is not doing my homework for me. My professor encouraged us to consult friends and classmates for suggestions. What better place to turn than Hatrack?

My final research paper in my English research methods class needs to be on a novel - I can choose the novel and I can choose the topic. The only caveat is it has to be a novel the professor has read. He said that if it's contemporary, he probably hasn't read it. He specializes in early American lit.

It must be a novel, he won't allow me to write on Shakespeare. I asked. [Frown] I then asked if I could write it on Beowulf (I LOVE Beowulf) and he said he would allow it, but he would prefer I didn't. So I probably shouldn't. Plus, next semester I'm taking an entire course on Beowulf, so I'll probably be sick of Beowulf before things are all said and done.

I'd like to get a list together of four or five good possibilities to present to him, hopefully he will have read something on the list. He told us that any novel we had studied in our literature classes would probably be okay. It needn't be an American novel, that's just what he specializes in. He suggested Hawthorne or Melville [Sleep] neither of whom I'm a fan of.

Help me denizens of Hatrack. you're my only hope. [Hail]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
What about Betty Smith's A Tree Grows in Brooklyn? This is probably my all time favorite novel. It was written in the 1940s, so it's not "early American," but it's not really contemporary either.

Or what about Jane Eyre? I've been watching the new BBC adaptation (absolutely amazing) and have been reminded how much I love that book.

Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
What exactly do you have to write about this novel Belle? I mean, it's a research methods class, so are you for example going to analyse the novel structure, write some sort of a technical review about it? Because then maybe you should pick one you don't like [Big Grin] . It must be easy to write a lot about why it makes you [Sleep]

Anyway, my choice would be Jane Eyre. I love that book. But I guess he won't approve with that one either [Smile]

Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

Now isn't that a coincidence:)

I posted my reply before I saw yours Amilia.

Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
Great minds think alike!
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

[Smile]
Belle
Member # 2314

The topic is wide open. We can use any approach we want and formulate any thesis we want. The only requirement is that the novel be one he's read. I hate assignments that are so open-ended, I'd really prefer he gave us a little more narrowly defined topic.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. Melville and Hawthorne were going to be my first two suggestions. [Big Grin]

I don't have a clear idea of what the assignment is, but I can't think of a novel that lends itself better to a close textual look than Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita, and it's a safe bet your professor has read it. If it's about doing secondary research, I know a lot of it has been done.

I think there are a lot of good reads within Southern fiction, which you might enjoy working with as a southerner yourself. The big issue is whether or not your professor has read it.

For a non-American suggestion, how about Gulliver's Travels?

Will he let you do the Canterbury Tales?

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
How early is early? I loved both The Old Man and the Sea and Huckleberry Finn, and I'm guessing your professor has read both. They're both very entertaining stories, and each has a great deal of depth, plenty for an assignment or ten.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
If I had a topic this wide open, I'd pick a big book that influenced a people, like Canterbury Tales, Paradise Lost, The Iliad, or one of those Joyce books I've never read.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crescentsss
Member # 9494

- posted      Profile for crescentsss   Email crescentsss         Edit/Delete Post 
portrait of the artist as a young man is, indeed, amazing. there's also lots to say about Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. it's also my favorite book [Big Grin]
Posts: 97 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Amazing crap, that is . . . [Grumble]

[Wink]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crescentsss
Member # 9494

- posted      Profile for crescentsss   Email crescentsss         Edit/Delete Post 
*gasp* how dare you speak about Joyce this way?? [Mad] [Wink]
Posts: 97 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

The Old Man and the Sea is fantastic, I could do that one. I'm writing a short paper right now on "Hills Like White Elephants" so I could just have a Hemingway term, I suppose.

Keep suggestions coming...I want to get together a pretty good list.

Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Is Irving too contemporary? What about A Prayer for Owen Meany?
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse. I maintain it's one of the best books ever written. It's about a desire for fulfilment and a man's many paths to attain it. Plus Hesse won a Nobel Prize, so he was always on our lists of authors we should have read.

I loved Mutiny on the Bounty by James Hall and Charles Nordhoff. It's pretty popular, and it had some great moral dilemas. It was a much easier read than I was expecting.

I remember doing a report once on E M Forster's A Passage to India. I hated the book and couldn't read it, but reading the critics interpretation of the cave was fascinating. I've never had so much reading about a book before. (Forster's short stories are much better than his novels, IMO. I love the Mark of the Beast.)

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
"On Human Bondage"? I mean, it's not great, but I managed to finish it, which is moderately unusual for novels of that time period.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The Sea Wolf by Jack London.

It's not his best work, but it's the one where he was attempting to make particular philosophical points (an anti-Nietzsche argument). I could see lots of great things to write about in it.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed The Glass Bead Game by Hesse when we read it here several years ago.

I'm reading Paradise Lost so far with a couple of my friends who are classics majors, and that's really interesting. There are a lot of parallels with it and other Epic poems that I never would have noticed if I wasn't reading it with them.

That's all I can think of for now.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

The Lord of the Rings? [Wink]
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
The Sea Wolf by Jack London.

Ahh. No fair, Dag took mine. I would suggest A Tale of Two Cities, but that's just because I love that book with a passion, not for any specific reason.

Nothing else comes to mind immediately that hasn't been mentioned.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Another vote for Tree grows in Brooklin.
To me it's one of the best books ever.
Plus I read the Godfater recently.l How about that?
*Fascinated by the mafia*

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princesska
Member # 8954

- posted      Profile for Princesska           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
"On Human Bondage"? I mean, it's not great, but I managed to finish it, which is moderately unusual for novels of that time period.

Actually, Maugham's "Of Human Bondage" is great. It's kinda like my personal Bible; never before have I so closely identified with a protagonist!

However, I will note that it doesn't have the elaborite lyrical appeal of Beowulf or Shakespeare. In fact, for a book written in 1915 (when extra-flowery prose was still considered a good thing), it is very concise and modern-sounding. If not for the occasional carriage or gaslight, you'd think it was written last year. It's really amazing.

Alternately, if you want to write a really trippy analysis, try Abbott's "Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions". It's about how people would live and perceive things if they were only two-dimensional, one-dimensional, or no-dimensional (in "Flatland", "Lineland", and "Pointland", respectively). First published in 1884.

Posts: 44 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
Lolita by Nabokov is a good pick, by my favorite early 20th Century American writer is Edith Wharton. You can't go wrong with Age of Innocence, House of Mirth, or Ethan Frome.
Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are looking for American novels, I love My Antonia by Willa Cather. I also recall writing a paper on irony in The Red Badge of Courage back in the day, about how every one of the protagonist's "heroic" choices were not, in fact, heroic. I honestly don't remember the book that well, just that that was what I wrote the paper on, and I got a good grade on it.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

I am saved! He has reconsidered and is now allowing us to write about Shakespearean plays. So I'm going to write about my favorite Shakespearean work - Othello. Specifically, examining the murder of Emilia by Iago.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Hold it!

The first official Novel was...

Don Quixote.

I think Belle would love it. I'm sure the prof has read it. The topics, from the importance of Sancho Panza to the role of the authentication given in the begining are many many many.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I love My Antonia by Willa Cather.
Really? I could never identify why I disliked the novel so much until I saw a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon where Calvin and Hobbes are snoozing against a tree. Calvin says, "Peaceful day." Hobbes says, "Yep."

Then after two panels of the exact same drawing, Calvin says, "If something doesn't happen soon I'm going to wig out!"

[ November 01, 2006, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.