FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Different View of Religion (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A Different View of Religion
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been reading the religious threads, well, religiously. I haven't posted in any of them, because it has taken me a while to collect me thoughts in a somewhat coherent manner. I have always found the topic of religion, and how it affects different people, fascinating. It seems to me that the majority of those on Hatrack are of the Judeo Christian persuasion. I have also noticed some atheists and agnostics.

Personally, I don't feel that I fit easily into any religious category. However, I do consider myself to be a spiritual person. I have read, on my own, many writings, teachings, and histories of Christianity, Buddhism, Islam, Judaism, and Hinduism. I like parts of all of these religions, but don't find myself overwhelmingly attracted to any of them.

The way I can best explain what I believe is this: I believe in a higher power or energy. I don't believe that this energy has a sex. i.e. is male or female; I think this energy encompasses both male and female. I believe that people are all connected by this energy, and that there are certain things that all people should reasonably be expected to do or not do. People shouldn't kill each other, steal from each other, torture each other, or lie. People should be tolerant and respectful of other people's beliefs, private property, and lifestyles.

To me, God/ess is in everyone, is part of everything in this world, and even the universe. The devotion that each person feels to their religion is evidence to me that there is some power that connects people to one another. That there are different ways of believing in this power is perfectly understandable. One of the things I liked best when learning about Hinduism is that they believe there are many paths to one god. (Which explains the 330 million gods of the Hindu pantheon.) In my mind, no one path is right or wrong. As individuals, people must find the path that best leads them to enlightenment.

I'd like to quote from Stephen Mitchell's translation of the Bhagavad Gita, Verses 11.9-11.13. When I first read these verses, they took my breath away because they described so well how I have always envisioned god.

With innumberable mouths and eyes,
faces too marvelous to stare at,
dazzling ornaments, innumberable
weapons uplifted, flaming-

crowned with fire, wrapped
in pure light, with celestial fragrance,
he stood forth as the infinite
God, composed of all wonders.

If a thousand suns were to rise
and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
such brilliance would be like the fierce
brilliance of that mighty Self.

Arjuna saw the whole universe
enfolded, with its countless billions
of life-forms, gathered together
in the body of the God of gods.

These verses still make me shiver a little. There's a lot of good stuff immediately following this, but I'm not going to write down the whole Gita. [Wink]

At any rate, I just wanted to share a different view of religion with ya'll. This is sort of an incomplete post, but I'll try to write more about my ideas later. (That is if anyone is interested. [Smile] )

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really interested in the Mormon church...
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
This 'energy' of yours, how many Joules is it? If it's not measured in Joules, it ain't no energy.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
<enters thread>

<munches popcorn>

<waits for the fun to begin>

[Big Grin]

By the way, Luet, my initial reaction to your thread title was "different from what?"

After reading this post, I kind of still have the same reaction. As in...I've known many people who feel this way about the ultimate at some point in their lives. Not that it's a bad thing for this all not to be "original," but you might consider that a potential source of comfort.

I have a final question for you. Would it be safe to sum up your views as indicating more of an "I don't know" versus any sort of strongly-held commitments about the nature of the ultimate? I'm fine with that, to be perfectly honest -- I prefer a religious viewpoint that leaves room for learning more in the future -- I just wondered if this post reflects conclusions you have arrived at or more like general musings on some of the imponderables (so to speak) of life.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter
Member # 4373

- posted      Profile for Peter   Email Peter         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In my mind, no one path is right or wrong.
I'm not trying to start an argument here, but what about religions that believe that there's is the only correct path? What are your views on this?
Posts: 283 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Why would they be wrong? Isn't it possible that, for the people walking that path, exclusivity is an important part of their journey but that this doesn't necessarily translate over to what is right for other people?
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I was raised Mormon. I was a bratty kid with a crappy home life and I left the church, much to my parents' chargin, at age 13. They tried everything they could to make me go but I was beyond stubborn. Eight years later, they've come to accept, but certainly not approve, of my choices.

I just opened a letter from an Aunt full of "goodies from General Conference". Poor timing as I was already feeling down from a few recent relationship related events. I hate that I don't belong in my own family. Don't get me wrong, my family loves me deeply and I am closer to two of my sisters than I am to anybody. But this massive part of their lives, the thing they base their lives on and derive all meaning from, I have rejected. I wish I could go back and tell my punk 13 year old self to just shut up and go to church. At the time, I think it was much more rebellion than anything else. But this isn't the first little bout of sadness that has me pining for what I gave up. And in the past, I've given it an honest try to see if I could believe in the LDS church and in the process of analyzing what I could and could not accept I went from a weak Christian to an agnostic.

I want that uniting sense of purpose that is central to Mormon thought. I want a road map for my life that's already written. I want a community that's loving and always there. Most of all I want to be on the same page as my sisters. I know a desire to belong is nothing new, but that's what this is, and I think that for me nothing but the Mormon Church could truly provide it.

But I feel stuck. I can't join without belief. And I can't just conjure up belief in the LDS church any more than a Mormon could choose to believe in agnosticism. Doing so implies a lack of integrity.

After writing all this out I realize it has nothing to do with the thread except that it mentions religion. But I feel a need to write it, so here it is.

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
i just had to say how humorous I think the phrase "choose to believe in agnoticism" is --- "oh, you're an agnostic?" "Yes, I choose to believe in 'I don't know'."
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
I'm really interested in the Mormon church...

Me too, me too...
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

Bob, I certainly haven't reached any conclusions about anything. And I know I'm definitely not original. [Big Grin] By different, I meant 'different than what I've seen on Hatrack' thus far. I'm relatively new here, so I'm sure I've missed plenty of fun stuff.

Peter: To those whose religions state that only they have the right path, I just have to respectfully disagree. I'm not trying to press my (albeit shaky) views on them, and they should not push their views on me.

Amanecer: I know how it feels to have left a church. I was raised Catholic, and the second I was confirmed, I stopped going to church. My dad and my grandma keep telling me that one day I'll go back. I don't think it'll happen, but never say never.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Religion is such a personal thing, and you may never want to go back to the LDS church. But you may. In your own time you will figure out what it is you want from religion, and whether you are happier with it or without it.

I don't belong to a church, yet I am content in myself. I am also content with my spiritual side.

KoM: Infinite amounts of Joules. Infinite I say! [Taunt]

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
That's interesting, considering it's supposed to be omnipresent. How is it that this 'energy' doesn't raise all the temperatures to infinity, as it certainly should by simple thermodynamics?

In case it escaped you, the point I'm subtly making here is that your 'different view' is just more of the same bovine fertiliser in a new and not very improved package.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

No. If it's infinite it's entirely possible that it operates differently from the rules for any finite amount of energy. If you're going to claim to know what happens to the laws of physics when you start dealing with infinity, you're the one spouting BS.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

Well KoM, I really couldn't care less what you think. From what I've read of your posts in the other religion threads, this is my impression of you: Bitter, rude, and disrespectful. You just can't seem to fathom that anyone has belief in a higher power. That is your own deal, and I'm not trying to convince you of anything. But don't you dare belittle my or anyone else's views of religion as if you were some sort of all-knowing, dare I say, god.

While I may not agree with many things in different religions, I would never knowingly call someone else's beliefs "bovine fertiliser." That's just rude.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanecer:

I want that uniting sense of purpose that is central to Mormon thought. I want a road map for my life that's already written. I want a community that's loving and always there. Most of all I want to be on the same page as my sisters. I know a desire to belong is nothing new, but that's what this is, and I think that for me nothing but the Mormon Church could truly provide it.

But I feel stuck. I can't join without belief. And I can't just conjure up belief in the LDS church any more than a Mormon could choose to believe in agnosticism. Doing so implies a lack of integrity.

I'm glad you wrote this, because if you replace "Mormonism" with "Christianity"* this describes exactly how I feel. I left the church for very different reasons, but I feel exactly the same way. I want to believe so much. I want the community, the assurance that comes with belief. I keep on trying to make myself believe, but I can't.

It's very comforting to know that there are other people in the world who feel like this. I've felt inadequate for seemingly being the only person confused in this way.

*I don't mean to imply that Mormonism is not Christian, merely that I am referring to the range of Christian churches, which includes the Church of the Latter Day Saints.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
No. If it's infinite it's entirely possible that it operates differently from the rules for any finite amount of energy. If you're going to claim to know what happens to the laws of physics when you start dealing with infinity, you're the one spouting BS.

If it doesn't operate according to known physical law, then calling it 'energy' is misleading - which indeed is the point I was making anyway. Energy is a precise concept, capable of mathematical treatment and measurement. A hippy-dippy theft of the word, to lend a spurious scientific legitimacy to what is better described as a 'spirit' or 'presence', is an insult to all those people who struggled for years to understand this part of nature.

quote:
While I may not agree with many things in different religions, I would never knowingly call someone else's beliefs "bovine fertiliser." That's just rude.
It is interesting that you should mistake honesty and accurate appraisal for bitterness and rudeness. You are quite right about the disrespect, though. You haven't even got enough courage of your convictions to call your faith by its right name. Instead you have to steal scientific concepts which you don't understand, and call yourself 'spiritual'. Just what does it mean that we are all 'connected by a higher energy'? You are trying to cover yourself in a cloak of science; the result is meaningless noise, as significant as the 'transmutation of bread into flesh' without taking on any of the actual characteristics of flesh.
I stand by my description, but you seem to have focused on the wrong part of it; the important phrase is not 'bovine fertiliser', but rather 'the same'. All you've done is give the same old nonsense a new name. Get thee to a church, or better still a nunnery without internet access, and stop making believe that your 'spirituality' has any connection to the science whose words you spout without understanding.

Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You also agree that you will not use this forum to . . . disparage others for their own religious beliefs.
If you cannot abide by the User Agreement here, you may feel free to go elsewhere.

--PJ

Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
It's funny...does the term "energy" really only apply to it's definition in physics?

Do you actually think that's the only definition of energy out there, KoM?

edit: And it's an INSULT to use it in any other way?

wow...

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

KoM,
You're also trying to cover yourself in the cloak of science but what you said was gibberish. If you're not going to apply rigor to your own statements, you've got no call to expect it from others.

There are certain areas of discontinuity in math and physics. Can you tell me what happens when something goes at or past the speed of light? How about inside the event horizon of a black hole?

One of the primary discontinuities is that of infinity. Math and physics handle finite things. The best they can do with infinities is to approximate or cancel things out.

So when you were criticizing Luet for the infinite energy thing by saying that it didn't act according to the laws of finite physics, you were talking nonesense. We don't know what the behavior of infinite energy would be but there's good reason to believe that it wouldn't act exactly like a very large amount of finite energy, which is what you were treating it as.

This is particularly relevant because any complete view of the universe contains some form of an infinity which cannot be cancelled out. The most popular place to put this infinity is at either a zero point origin or an infinite series origin. If you're incapable of dealing with an unmatched infinity, you can't ever fully explain the universe. It a mathematical version of the old prime mover argument.

BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is something that stuck me as very profound when I first heard it. If you ask anyone from just about any other non-Christian religious how they reconcile the many different world religious, they usually say 'different roads to the same destination'. Oddly, if you ask a Christian, it 'they're wrong and I'm right'.

Personally, I subscribe more to the 'different roads to the same destination' philosophy. I think their is merit in all world religions. They, in some ways, are all seeking the same goal, just by a different name.

I've studied Yoga and Meditation, and I can tell you that until you have meditated, you have never prayed. The typical 'gimme, gimme' (Give Me) prayers of Christians are immenesly flawed, but I've found that most Christain leader are not really trained to teach people how to pray. Again, prayer is not 'Oh God, help me pass my math test', 'Oh God, help me win the lottery', 'Oh God, make sure may candidate wins the election'. Those may make you feel better, but I hardly think they constitute true prayers.

In yoga and meditation, you minimize the physical world so that you can come closer to the spiritual world. And one brief instant of perfect tranquility in meditation will bring you closer to God than a million 'give me, give me' prayers.

I often speculated that Orson Scott Card was speculating on the nature of Heaven when he created 'Outside' in the extension of the Ender Series. 'Outside' is the place where the infinite and universal essense that forms all life exists. It is the place where the universal essense that created the very universe exists. That doesn't fit the Christian 'paradise' model of heaven, but it is very close to the Buddhist and possibly Hindu model of heaven. Personally, I think the Christian 'paradise' model of Heaven like so many aspects of Christianity is simply a metaphor that allows us to speak of God and Heaven.

In other religions like Buddhism, at least conceptually, our vision of God is an illusion. Again, it is a flawed metaphor that places the unexplanable into a comprehendable format. But when we finally meet God, we see past the illusion, and see that beyond God, it the true uncomprehendable infinite spiritual essense of the universe.

I think OSC 'Outside' is a lot closer to Heaven than most Christian religious models. So, I quess in a sense, I am a universalist, I see aspects in all religious from the most primitive to the most sophisicated that are valuable and reflect an underlying spiritual truth.

So far in life, I have not been able to accept that Christianity is the one and only way to 'salvation'. That would imply that 90% (a guess) of the highly religious and deeply spiritual people in the world are doomed. I simply can't accept that God could be so cruel.

For what it's worth.

Steve/bboyminn

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
According to m-w.com "energy" can (viz. m-w.com) "a usually positive spiritual force" (definition 1c) as well as "a fundamental entity of nature that is transferred between parts of a system in the production of physical change within the system and usually regarded as the capacity for doing work" (definition 3). Ridiculing Luet for referring to this "energy" makes as much sense as ridiculing someone for referring to "nutty" peanut butter because peanut butter can't be sane or insane.

It stops being legit, IMJ, if the definitions are confused and are viewed as nonmetaphorical. Energy can mean mood, spiritual force, attitude, pep, basic nature, or the thing that equals mc^2, but surley it can't mean all of them at once.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlueWizard:
If you ask anyone from just about any other non-Christian religious how they reconcile the many different world religious, they usually say 'different roads to the same destination'. Oddly, if you ask a Christian, it 'they're wrong and I'm right'.

Clearly, you haven't asked many Christians. Or non-Christians, for that matter.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto to Rivka.

Do remember that "any other non-Christian religion" includes Muslims and Hindus. Ask a Pakistani whether those two are just different roads to the same destination.

I'd say Buddhism in particular probably isn't the best representative sample of "all world religions", given (for instance) its lack of any sort of deity (at least in its purest form). Buddhism seems, from my perspective, to be further towards the "philosophy" end of the spectrum than most major religions of the world, and therefore is naturally much more compatible with a lot of varied personal beliefs.

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
King of Men is a materialist who tends to treat every argument in terms of scientifically provable physical facts. Often I think he commits the same fallacy as biblical literalists: that of giving clearly metaphorical expressions of percieved spiritual truths a non-metaphorical reading. On the part of a biblical literalist such thinking leads him to believing, in my view, obviously ridiculous things; for KoM it leads him to summarily dismiss a large part of human thoughts and experiences.

Myths are the expressions of what a culture percieve as spiritual truths dressed in metaphor. When Odin leaves his left eye in Mímir's well to gain wisdom it is obviously a metaphor for... something. Perhaps it is necessary to sacrifice part of your worldly sight to gain spiritual insights, I don't know.

When no one any longer understands the metaphor, when the myth no longer resonates within a culture, it dies or becomes irrelevant. I think this has happened in large parts of the western world and modern society in general. Myths need to change with the times to remain relevant and their lessons understandable. And the rate of change in the modern world is so rapid that yesterdays truths might become todays vices and the vices of yesterday today's necessities.*

A religious myth can only be properly understood within the cultural and temporal context of its genesis. And even then it is probable that it was only fully understood by an elite. Disecting a myth, as KoM frequently attempts to do, by judging its metaphors literally through the glasses of todays secular morality, or by evaluating its consistency through comparison with other myths from completely different cultural contexts, is using the wrong tools for the purpose and is unlikely to accomplish anything useful.

*Paraphrasing Joseph Campbell.

Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

Maybe I should have used another title for my thread. My View of Religion, or something along those lines. I have never thought that I was the only one in the world who felt this way. (As is evidenced by BlueWizard, and others I've known in my life.)

KoM seems to have missed my point. Telling me to go to a church or nunnery makes it obvious that he hasn't actually paid attention to what I'm saying. I am not comfortable in that sort of organized atmosphere. There are too many rules and regulations within each different church, synagogue, temple, mosque, whatever, that I could never abide by. Not because the rules are necessarily bad, but because deep in my heart I don't agree.

Thanks to those who've defended my use of the term 'energy.' I had no idea that word was going to spark such annoyance. [Dont Know]

Me? Co-opt science? Please. Keep your science. While it explains many things, it doesn't explain everything.

Luet13
Member # 9274

Oh, and Tristan, your explanation of KoM makes a lot of sense to me. You worded it better than I ever could have.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by BlueWizard:
If you ask anyone from just about any other non-Christian religious how they reconcile the many different world religious, they usually say 'different roads to the same destination'. Oddly, if you ask a Christian, it 'they're wrong and I'm right'.

Clearly, you haven't asked many Christians. Or non-Christians, for that matter.
Thanks, Rivka.

---signed, a Christian of the "different roads to the same destination" viewpoint.

P.S. Luet, I think that your concept of God is not terribly far removed from mine and the passage you quoted was lovely.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:

If it doesn't operate according to known physical law, then calling it 'energy' is misleading - which indeed is the point I was making anyway. Energy is a precise concept, capable of mathematical treatment and measurement. A hippy-dippy theft of the word, to lend a spurious scientific legitimacy to what is better described as a 'spirit' or 'presence', is an insult to all those people who struggled for years to understand this part of nature.

quote:
It is interesting that you should mistake honesty and accurate appraisal for bitterness and rudeness. You are quite right about the disrespect, though. You haven't even got enough courage of your convictions to call your faith by its right name. Instead you have to steal scientific concepts which you don't understand, and call yourself 'spiritual'. Just what does it mean that we are all 'connected by a higher energy'? You are trying to cover yourself in a cloak of science; the result is meaningless noise, as significant as the 'transmutation of bread into flesh' without taking on any of the actual characteristics of flesh.
I stand by my description, but you seem to have focused on the wrong part of it; the important phrase is not 'bovine fertiliser', but rather 'the same'. All you've done is give the same old nonsense a new name. Get thee to a church, or better still a nunnery without internet access, and stop making believe that your 'spirituality' has any connection to the science whose words you spout without understanding.

Actually, when you start to think about it, really think about it, sprituality and science go quite well together... Think of symbiosis. Think of how interconnected things in nature are. It's only humans that are outside of that for the most part. Nature, even when it's cruel makes SENSE....
My own beliefs are close to Luet13, but I usually don't talk about them because who wants to get into yet another argument about why spirituality doesn't exist and why life is meaningless... Atheists tend to frustrate me as much as fundamentalists do.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

I don't see where you need any spirituality for symbiosis; Darwin does the job perfectly well. As for nature making sense, I suggest you take another look at the design of the human spine and eye.

Touching energy, dictionaries record common usage. I am dismayed that the hippy version is widespread enough that dictionaries record it; but this does not make it right. And I stand by my explanation of where the term comes from.

Squick, when you make a post with any new points, I'll reply to them. Meanwhile, my last one has got you covered.

And Luet, if you want the warm fuzzies of belief in a higher power, without the rules, that's your option. But when you put your beliefs out for discussion, you must expect them to be discussed.

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I daresay that the "hippy" definition of energy was used long before the more rigorous one used in physics.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish it was possible to discuss religion seriously on Hatrack these days.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

I'd love to discuss my beliefs. All you want to do, is belittle them. If you can't have a discussion with me about my beliefs without resorting to namecalling, then there is no discussion. It's just you being mean. And me not responding to you anymore.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But when you put your beliefs out for discussion, you must expect them to be discussed.
KoM, you know as well as I do that there's a distinction to be drawn between "discussion" and insult.

There are many, many ways you could have worded your reply to Luet; you chose an insulting one. That has nothing to do with Luet's decision to engage in discussion, and everything to do with your refusal to do so civilly.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
Originally posted by Luet13:

I am not comfortable in that sort of organized atmosphere. There are too many rules and regulations within each different church, synagogue, temple, mosque, whatever, that I could never abide by. Not because the rules are necessarily bad, but because deep in my heart I don't agree.

Take this as a gentle suggestion...

If you find that getting together with others to talk about, share, be with, others in a spiritual way is a helpful/nourishing thing for you, I wouldn't give up on "organized" religion entirely. My experience is that there is an enormous varity of religious communities and that many of them aren't about "the rules".

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

kmbboots: Do you have any suggestions of specific religious communities that I could look into? I live in Chicago, so I assume there must be something here, but I don't even know where to begin. Thank you. [Smile]
kmbboots
Member # 8576

You might want to check out a Unitarian Congregation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitarianism

edit to add: Of course, since you in Chicago, you would be welcome to come to Mass with me at Old St. Pat's. - but, as liberal as we are, we are still Catholic and thus may be too structured for you.

edit (again) to add: We should get together sometimes regardless.

King of Men
Member # 6684

I think there is a genuine conflict here between accuracy and politeness; I came down on the side of accuracy, and I stand by that.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I came down on the side of accuracy, and I stand by that.
It is not always necessary, I maintain, to volunteer all your thoughts in order to be completely accurate.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

quote:
It's very comforting to know that there are other people in the world who feel like this. I've felt inadequate for seemingly being the only person confused in this way.
I know what you mean. Thank you for your post. [Group Hug]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I kind of like the idea of gods or whatever being apart of us like the way blood is in water, or sap in trees, or maybe somewhat closer than that...
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

"It gives me the warm fuzzies" is not usually considered evidence of anything.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to me that Synesthesia didn't claim that it was.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, King of Men, what bug crawled up your butt and hatched eggs to make you so down, sarcastic and negative about everything?! I really just don't get it. I try to ignore the crap some people post but you do it in so many threads. Sometimes it's okay to think something to yourself and NOT post it. Geesh.

Sorry about that little digression.

Leut13 - Awesome post. I'm in the same camp as you. I love to explore the religions that are out there, I'm not quite sure I fit into one that's already there and I find incredible parts to most of them. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

It's not a matter of warm fuzzies. I believe that whatever god is it can't really be separated from people. It's apart of them.
It's a bit hard to explain if one doesn't believe that. I have trouble with organized religion, but I have more trouble with not believing in anything but rather frustrating philosophers. I so hate nilism or the idea that life is meaningless. Perhaps neither side does enough to explain things. So one needs to be open to the whole picture.

foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
KoM, why do you do that? Why do you feel it necessary to disparage and refute every single instance of something you happen to disagree with? Do you not realize that you are being a mean spirited jerk? That you come across as someone who is perfectly willing to abandon reason and civility in order to score a hit?

Are you really THAT desperate to be right about something? I cant see any other reason for you to go to the lengths you do to make a point that doesnt need to be made.
Go argue with a kindergartener about the finer points of relativety if you're so anxious to come across as smarter than someone.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Conversely, why do people feel it necessary to discuss their 'spirituality' on this board? I don't feel any particular need to defend my choice of subjects.

And while I don't subscribe to politeness over accuracy, I trust I have never abandoned reason in order to make a point; indeed, if I did, it wouldn't be much of a point.

Amanecer
Member # 4068

Politeness and accuracy don't have to be in competition. You, like everybody else, can discuss whatever you want so long as you do it respectfully. You're far from the only person on this board that isn't religious. I've also seen many people bring up their concerns that religion is a net harm. But they didn't attack people and try to be as obnoxious as possible. If you can't be respectful about a topic, then you ought to have the decency to leave it alone. You ignored me in the other thread, but I honestly want to know what you get out of behaving this way.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

But how do you know it isn't accurant? I do not like certain aspects of organize religion. They repulse and scare me, but not all religious individuals are like that. Many use their religion as a way to shape their lives, a positive helpful way.
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
You value accuracy, but you don't value common courtesy. Thus, any points you try to make, regardless of how logical and reasonable they may seem, will be lost because people would rather not listen to someone who treats everyone else like dirt. You think you're making (or scoring) points, but no one will ever be persuaded by you because of how nasty and inconsiderate you are.

Now, your response to this may be, "Well, their loss," and that's entirely up to you. I'd like to point out, though, that your style of discourse is a material negative to this community. If you're trying to persuade people to your point of view, you should change your style. Otherwise, you're just using the forum as a soapbox from which to spout your rhetoric.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bokonon:
I daresay that the "hippy" definition of energy was used long before the more rigorous one used in physics.

-Bok

Confirmed, at least if "hippie" means "all other definitions." OED shows its oldest ref to physics energy in 1807; oldest ref to other meanings is 1581.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you serious, King of Men, with that first question? If I were answering I might say... because it makes for good conversation, because it gives insight into other peoples thoughts even if you're just curious about them, because it's something many people have at least some ideas about.

Also, you didn't answer why you habitually belittle people's thoughts.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.