FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Was I wrong to get upset?

Author Topic: Was I wrong to get upset?
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I went to Quiznos, today. I ordered the "bargain" turkey sandwich, as a combo.

When I got the total it seemed a little high. I asked what I was charged for, the cashier repeated my order, I assumed the sales tax was higher in in the area, or something.

I looked at my receipt. I had been charged for one of the premium turkey sandwiches.

I went back to the register.

"Excuse me, I ordered the bargain turkey sandwich, which I got...but the bill says I paid for the premium sandwich."

The cashier began speaking -very- rapidly, saying that there was no mistake...that somehow the bargain deal and the premium deal came out the same because...and then he spoke even faster, muttering quietly.

Confused, I looked at the price board, looked at my receipt, then asked how the two meals could cost the same...when they were listed as being different prices.

Again more rapid muttering, a calculator thrust in my face (literally)...a rapid, muttered explanation of how the cost was the same.

I decided I had had enough. I asked for a refund, intending to leave.

The cashier stared at me, started talking even faster, then took two dollars out of the tip jar, handing them to me and squeezing my shoulder.

I looked at him coldly, picked up my food, and told him I was not going to eat at Quiznos again.

He followed me out into the parking lot, waving the calculator and muttering rapidly.

I know I should have asked for the manager, but by then I just wanted to get away.

Did I overreact?

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
If anything, I'd say you underreacted.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. I wouldn't have left until I'd had my money back, and/or that person was unemployed.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ginette
Member # 852

- posted      Profile for ginette   Email ginette         Edit/Delete Post 
Was I wrong to get upset??? I think you'd better change this thread title [Smile]
Posts: 1247 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
You didn't overreact. I say you misreacted. Chances are good the cashier is new or inexperienced and just didn't know how to correct his mistake. Which doesn't excuse it, but walking out hardly solves either your problem or his.

You should've asked for a manager (who would've probably comped your meal and apologized profusely, in addition to teaching the cashier how to void a sale and rering someone up), and calmly explained what went on. Or, at least, that's what I've done in similar situations.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
You didn't overreact. I've done pretty much the same in the same situation.

And here's why I usually don't eat there, even after I finally get my money back--because I have no idea what's going to go on with my food the second "I'm always right" boy gets out of his manager's line of site. And then I usually don't eat at that location again, because I worry the kid will be there and recognize me.

Yeah, call me paranoid.

Don't take it out on Quizno's, though. They're a franchise, and the other one in town might have better trained staff. Of course, if you don't have another Quiznos in town--well, you could probably get even more fixin's brown baggin' it. [Wink]

If you're really worried about the situation, though, you might want to call back and have a chat with the manager when you're calmer, just to see if he can talk slowly and explain why the cost would be the same.

Just do the math on your calculator.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Or if you really are annoyed with the cashier and want to see him fired, I'd bet you could get pretty close to that result by going to the manager and complaining. That situation sounds really ridiculous.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
He touched you? Wow. You have a lot more restraint than I do. I would've decked the guy.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Decked him for an oddly creepy shoulder squeeze? While inappropriate, I think decking him WOULD be overreacting.

To echo others, you should've asked for a manager before the situation ever got that far. If the guy is new, the manager could've fixed the problem. All you've done is cost that location a customer (yourself) and left a poor employee in place, without the management knowing, increasing the odds that that employee will drive other customers away as well.

Go back, talk to the manager, explain the situation. Might get a free coupon or something, usually managers are pretty good about keeping or satisfying a customer, or at least explaining what happened.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
...*...

And in the "I can't *censored* believe it!" category, the award winner is:

The cashier turns out to -be- the store manager!?!

I think I'll just forget the store in question exists.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Or you could contact the owner. Or Quiznos headquarters. They sure would be interested in hearing that a franchise is operating contrary to policies & procedures.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.