FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Capoeira Video

Author Topic: Capoeira Video
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, people.Here I am, your lurking Brazilian friend Eduardo. This is not an important topic. Just wanted to share this cool video about Capoeira I found on youtube. I think you'll like it.

Bye!

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Eduardo! Hope life's going well for you. Do you practice Capoeira?

I have an acquaintence who competes. She was actually on her way to Brazil for a competition last August, but the airline folded at the last minute and she was unable to make it down.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool to watch. I've always thought Capoeira would be fun to learn, but I have just one problem with it--as a fighting art, it seems to me like it'd be completely ineffective. Lots of fun to watch and do, though.
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Human! Haven't seen you around in a while...

Capoeira is really cool, I think there're people that do it here but I have yet to see them or hear when they meet. I'd love to learn.

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

Heh...Human got the afternoon off and had nothing to do, and was thus very bored. Decided to start posting a bit again. Don't know if it'll stick.

(Now back to your regularily scheduled topic)

Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Zoom zoom...
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty much with Human. [Smile]

Thanks for the video, though.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Noemon (and everyone). Life is going well for me, although a bit hetic, due to the (rapidly) aproaching marriage and all.

Yes, I practice capoeira, although I'm just a beginner (and have been lapsing too many classes for the past month or so).

Human, capoeira's been used for self-defense for quite a while here in Brazil. It's like most martial arts, you see? It depends on the school/style focus (and your own, of course): acrobatics? Dancing (the 'ginga')? Actual combat? You name it, you can find it (well...at least here in Brazil, where you find good 'rodas de capoeira' with outstanding masters that'll charge you nothing or almost nothing for classes everywhere). I really don't know how easy/difficult it is to train capoeira overseas.

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

And another very nice capoeira video.
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I trained in California for a while, and it's was one of the best things I've ever done in my life. It's singing, dancing, and martial arts, with coy misdirection thrown in for the bargain. It makes you feel alive. I trained with a few sky divers, and they said that the rush you get entering a roda is five times greater than jumping out of a plane. It leaves you wide open, and depending on who you talk to, you let's you touch God.

The second video captures a lot of it.

I hurt my ankle playing soccer, and so I had to stop Capoeira, but I don't regret a minute of it.

[ October 18, 2006, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw quite a bit of that during my time in Brazil.

Isn't it interesting how so many of Brazil's and USA's cultural icons originally came from African slaves?

Now I've got a hankering for feijoada and banjo music.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

- posted      Profile for Jutsa Notha Name   Email Jutsa Notha Name         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Human:
Very cool to watch. I've always thought Capoeira would be fun to learn, but I have just one problem with it--as a fighting art, it seems to me like it'd be completely ineffective. Lots of fun to watch and do, though.

You should try studying some Chinese forms, you would be surprised. I see no difference between a Capoeira competition and a TKD competition. Seeing Capoeira being used practically is a different application of the exaggerated moves you see in competition, much the same as most karate form competitions.
Posts: 1170 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

I dunno, but in my TKD tournaments, we actually hit people. Hard. Which, really is sorta part of the reason why I quit, but that's beside the point.
Jutsa Notha Name
Member # 4485

- posted      Profile for Jutsa Notha Name   Email Jutsa Notha Name         Edit/Delete Post 
The Capoeira you are watching in those videos are for display, partially for dance, and exhibition. You may as well be comparing breakdancing to a full-contact competition.

I spent years in karate, and none of the matches I went to allowed contact until a certain level is reached. The same has applied in the Kenpo, Kendo, and the Chinese gung fu classes I've been in. I don't see where your disbelief is stemming from. Unless you are convinced of some form's superiority over another, and I would argue such thoughts are probably incorrectly based did they exist, then I can't understand why else you would be incredulous. Capoeira is an art that gets little Hollywood attention, but is a strong and effective art form that has influenced a great deal of fight choreography and even some modern styles.

Here is a good example of Capoeira being applied in kickboxing.

Posts: 1170 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
My 1st "exposure" to capoeira was the movie Only The Strong back in 1993. In it they show it being used "practically" as well as the flashy training/exhibition type stuff too. Decent film too.
Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

Okay, that last video improved my view of the art quite a bit. But I still think that there are a lot of cases in that video where the blackbelts of my school would have simply driven right through those kicks of his and pounded him. He might have won the match on points, but he wouldn't be in any shape to fight more than one.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, I would still rather study Brazillian Jujitsu.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoo! Me too, Magson. [Smile] Though it only counts a "good" movie if you like cheesey martial arts films (like Surf Ninjas or Sidekicks).

There was actually a very small capoeira fanclub in my res in second year of university. Someone discovered that the campus rec department was offering lessons, so he signed up.

Poor Jeff was incapable of sneaking up on anyone. He had a loud, distinctive laugh, and he was always laughing. When he gave us a demo of what he'd been learning and fell over backwards, he was still laughing. It took us a while to realise he was actually hurt.

It's a lovely style and I'd love to learn it.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.