FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pan's Labyrinth

Author Topic: Pan's Labyrinth
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone heard of this movie? I just saw the trailer for it, and I'm surprised nothing has been said about it on Hatrack. It seems interesting, but what do you think?
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
I also watched the trailer for it and am excited to see it.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking forward to it - but I've only seen dribs and drabs of press releases and some screenshots. I watched a teaser trailer in french, too.

Just looks interesting to me.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
If the trailer visual wasn't working and all I could know was the narration, I would say, Stupid! Buuuut... man, it looks awesome.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eldrad
Member # 8578

- posted      Profile for Eldrad           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I posted about this movie in the thread about 300. It was screened at the Toronto Film Festival and was the choice of show at the Cannes Film Festival, if I recall correctly. It's been getting pretty stellar reviews, so I can't wait for it to come out. Pan is simultaneously entrancing and terrifying (and is it just me, or does it look like his incarnation was influenced by Jigsaw from the Saw movies?), and the art style is beautiful.

Check out The Fountain and Children of Men, too. Both are looking just as good (great reviews for both of them, too), which has me really excited for this movie season. It's looking to be one of the strongest in years.

Posts: 143 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Is Pan being portrayed as evil in this movie? I hope not, He's a good guy. But the imagery does look good.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw the full trailer for this on Apple for the first time.

This, especially the music, but also the visuals, look amazing! I think I read it'll be subtitled, and not dubbed, for US release.

Can't wait!

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, someone else posted about it in another thread and I saw the trailer. Just rewatched it last night and the CG looks really nice. Should be a very cool film. Don't know much about the story so I can't answer your question about pan though.
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a booth for it in ComiCon back in July. It got me pretty excited. The booth was pretty cool, there was this giant tree thing that had a TV imbedded on the higher branches and it kept playing the trailer. You could walk inside the tree and there were pictures of a few of the creatures, when you walked out you had to stick your hand into this gooey hole on the side of the tree and get one of the keys in there. The key was pretty cool and it had the movie's website written on it and a secret code. I still have my key and I wear it all the time, since it looks so cool.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

This, especially the music, but also the visuals, look amazing! I think I read it'll be subtitled, and not dubbed, for US release.

Can't wait!

Dubbed? You mean it's not in english? What language is it in then? I looked at the names of the filmakers and it seems like a spanish movie. If that were the language, I'd be ok since I can speak it. Although I'm not a big fan of castillian since I've never really liked how it sounds.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Holy awesome Batman.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GForce
Member # 9584

- posted      Profile for GForce   Email GForce         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if the comparison is valid, but the trailer made me think of a movie I saw called "The City of Lost Children". It's a French movie, came out around 1996 or something I believe. Very weird, surreal movie. Anybody else seen it?
Posts: 127 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
That looked amazing. I am SO going to see it.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Altáriël of Dorthonion:
quote:

Can't wait!

Dubbed? You mean it's not in english? What language is it in then? I looked at the names of the filmakers and it seems like a spanish movie. If that were the language, I'd be ok since I can speak it. Although I'm not a big fan of castillian since I've never really liked how it sounds.
You guessed it, Spanish. This will be the first, well, what I'd call "big budget" like film that I'll have seen from another country. Usually what I end up seeing is something like Spirited Away or Amelie. This is more like a Spanish LWW/HP, so far as genre and graphics go.

It's a LITTLE misleading when you don't hear any spoken words in the trailer, and the voiceover (which is goosebumpish) is in English as well. But even after I found out it's in Spanish, I don't want to see it any less.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
City of Lost Children is one of my favorite movies ever. This trailer, while having the other worldliness of City of Lost Children, was definitely way more messed up. City of Lost Children is more bed time story other wordliness, this looks more nightmarish. I told someone it looked like Mirromask on acid. Which is like a normal movie on acid squared I think.

Either way, looks great. I'll definitely be seeing it.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Altáriël of Dorthonion:
quote:

Can't wait!

You guessed it, Spanish. This will be the first, well, what I'd call "big budget" like film that I'll have seen from another country. Usually what I end up seeing is something like Spirited Away or Amelie. This is more like a Spanish LWW/HP, so far as genre and graphics go.

It's a LITTLE misleading when you don't hear any spoken words in the trailer, and the voiceover (which is goosebumpish) is in English as well. But even after I found out it's in Spanish, I don't want to see it any less.

I don't think I'd be dissuaded from going to watch it simply because I don't like their accent. I still want to go see it. Oh, and about it being the first big budget foreign film, I it's the same with me. I can't think of any foreign film that looks this good.
Samuel Bush
Member # 460

- posted      Profile for Samuel Bush           Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard of it now. Thanks for mentioning it, Evie. This movie looks like it really rocks!

I loved the movies “The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe” and “Mirror Mask” and OSC’s books “Magic Street” and “Enchantment” so this movie looks good too.

[Party]

Posts: 631 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I read really fast, so subtitles aren't a problem for me.

However, I dislike that the voiceover was in English yet they fail to mention subtitles.

Maybe I won't see it after all. JenniK wants to see it, and she speaks fluent Spanish......

Hmm.....

[Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also a fast reader, and I don't mind subtitles, although it makes it really annoying sometimes because I feel like I always have to be watching the screen intently, like if I look away to grab nachos I might miss something.

It's even worse for rented movies. I'm watching the Mummy right now as I clean my house and Hatrack. I coudln't do that if I was having to read the screen.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.