FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What was their first clue? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What was their first clue?
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Great Uncle Sam too. I think a lot of him, inspite of some really creepy guys who work for him from time to time.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shmuel:
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
HEY! On behalf of my cousin Sam, I say [Razz] to you. [Wink]

Not that anyone calls him Sam since they made aliyah. Now he goes by Shmuel. [Big Grin]

[Laugh]

I had a great-uncle Sam whom I quite liked, so I have good associations with the name... but I stand by my assessment. [Wink] Not that it has any practical application, 'cause I'm sticking with Shmuel myself. [Big Grin]

My great uncle Sammy wasn't a Shmuel. He was a Shlomo. Now I have nephews named Sammy and Jake who are Shlomo and Yehuda. Ain't America grand?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a great uncle Shlomo, too, but we knew him as Uncle Sol. :wistful sigh:
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*bump*

Here we go again.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
At least ham 'seasoning' is a little more vague, it's not ham per se, but it has certainly been involved on some level with a pig.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
Going by "Esther", there's one of me. Going by my legal American-type name, there's two of me.

I wonder which one I am?

Esther isn't an "American-type name"? I had a Korean friend in grade school whose "American name" (the one she went by, as opposed to her legal Korean name) was Esther. I also have a great-aunt Esther, from Kansas.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the ham seasoning in this instance indicates that its a pork product being used as seasoning not that its seasoning designed to go on pork.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
Going by "Esther", there's one of me. Going by my legal American-type name, there's two of me.

I wonder which one I am?

Esther isn't an "American-type name"? I had a Korean friend in grade school whose "American name" (the one she went by, as opposed to her legal Korean name) was Esther. I also have a great-aunt Esther, from Kansas.
Well, yeah, Esther is an American-type name. It's just not MY American-type name. It's my Hebrew name. My American-type name (the one on my driver's license) is completely different. My ma didn't like the name "Esther", so she wanted to give me a prettier name. I think it still bugs her that I've decided to go by my Hebrew name, but she still calls me by my American-type name. I'm not hard-headed enough to insist that people who are accustomed to calling me by one name switch to another. Just when I introduce myself to new people, I introduce myself as Esther. And at this point, I think of myself as "Esther". Or Tante.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Weird. If she didn't like the name Esther, why didn't she give you something else for a Hebrew name? (I hope I'm not insulting a family naming tradition asking that.) I love the name Esther! I actually have considered it for a girl's name or middle name, but since we have the next three picked out already, it's a ways off. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
It is traditional to name the baby after a dead relative. That's how I landed up with Esther.

I like the name. It's classic.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

But she couldn't have chosen another dead relative if she didn't like Esther? Or did she just really want to honor Esther, despite hating her name?

I agree completely, it's a classic, and it's very nice-sounding to my ears, as well. I think it fits pretty well with our other girls' names. I am definitely considering it for girl no. 5 if she comes along. [Smile]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

It was the relative that she wanted to honor and remember.

Actually, the relative's name was "Abraham". I do not understand how Esther was derived from Abraham, except for starting with the same first letter. My mother can't explain it very well, either, but, supposedly, her father sat down and did some letter games with the name and came up with Esther. In Hebrew, each letter has a numerical value, so sometimes things "add up" to be equivalent. I have no idea how it works in my case, though. Ma probably acquiesced to her father's request, figuring that it wouldn't matter all that much since I'd be known by my American name anyway. To her chagrin, not.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Huh, that's interesting. I have to admit I'm hard-pressed to come up with another girls' name that could be related to Abraham. Ava/Eva, maybe? (Although, like you, I'm mystified by the connection, I'll concede that your grandfather found one.)
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, were you raised "Orthodox"? (Just curious.)
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Esther, my best guess is that reduced-value gematria was used (see chart), combined with adding an extra 1 (which you are allowed to do in gematria for reasons I have never understood) for Esther. Then they both equal 14.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
This is my favorite Onion article ever, though it's totally out of context here. I love how hatrack conversations wander all over the map, though. [Smile] I like to think I had a little to do with preserving that fine hatrack tradition that so many other forums get wrong. Anyway, the people at the Onion are obviously prescient, since this article was published in 2001. [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, my, Tatiana. I remember the article, but I forgot how uncanny it was in prescience. It was published in January of 2001. Whoa!
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Huh, that's interesting. I have to admit I'm hard-pressed to come up with another girls' name that could be related to Abraham. Ava/Eva, maybe? (Although, like you, I'm mystified by the connection, I'll concede that your grandfather found one.)

I had a friend named Abra when I was younger. I'm guessing that she was named after an Abraham.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
Tante, were you raised "Orthodox"? (Just curious.)

Nope. I had an entirely unorthodox childhood.
Al
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for Al           Edit/Delete Post 
I probably shouldn't butt in on a this thread since I don't have any kosher issues, but the title intrigued me and I found the whole thread amusing. Did anyone see the irony from the Christian persepective:

quote:
I don't believe there is a Jewish body whose authority would be recognized to change the law for all jews.
I've probably stepped way out of line mentioning it, but it did raise a smile.
Posts: 237 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
Could a pig be genetically engineered to meet kosher guidelines?

Well, I *suppose* someone could engineer a pig with uncloven feet that chews a cud...

But I doubt you're gonna find such a swine in a 89 cent can of pork & beans.

[Smile]

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.