FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Does this happen in other industries?

Author Topic: Does this happen in other industries?
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
For the past few months, I've been freelance editing a bit from home. In looking for freelance writing and editing opportunities, I've been shocked at how many listings say they can't pay at all or much.

Jon Boy came across this blog the other day, and I've been laughing and groaning about it ever since. In what other industry do employers make long lists of what they expect from potential employees and then refuse to pay them?

Do programmers get this? ("Write me two programs a week for $100. I think that's fair.")

I really don't get why it's happening in my field, and I haven't heard of this in any other. Am I just not looking hard enough at other fields?

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Is it because there's a large number of English type majors out there who are willing to be worked to death/screwed over because there are a large number of English type majors looking for work?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I honestly have no idea. And I'm not sure if anyone is responding to these unpaid job listings.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
No, it doesn't happen for programmers. External experts usually get paid a lot to do the job is less time and with better results than someone in the company. Work-at-home programmers that actually work for the company get paid normally. Unless you're in an internship you're never going to code for free. I hope. :gasp:
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't happen with programmers, especially on an IC basis. I charge between $150-$200 an hour for any consulting work I do.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
It does happen with programmers, but only on the fringes of programming. There are lots of sites out there where people post looking for work to be done for laughably small amounts. Check out this one: http://www.getafreelancer.com/

Its probably worst in the traditionally 'creative' professions -- writing, design, and the like. Many people have a hard time understanding
  1. why good creative work is valuable and
  2. why what creative professionals do is different from what amateurs do.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Fugu, I've nver seen that site, and I guess I should point out that I've never had to go and find work, it's always come to me and had never been priced so low that my hourly rate wasn't honored.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it is the fringe of programming. Most programmers never run into it, luckily, but quite a few do. Be glad its a relatively rare experience for programmers, unlike for those in some professions [Smile] .
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
This seems similar to the odd dichotomy of internships between students in BA programs and BS programs.

I know of a half dozen business and marketing majors who were fighting like mad for the right to work an unpaid summer internship.

I don't know a single engineering student who worked an unpaid internship.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Storm Saxon is right.

And it's on all levels of writing. Magazine freelancing used to be a decent gig once you got a reputation and some good contacts.

If you went to a decent journalism school you used to be able to get an okay entry-level reporting job.

There are a ton of writers out there and yet the field is shrinking -- esp. for freelancers. Perversely, many column inches that were taken up by salaried reporters/writers are no take up by freelancers (at lower pay rates).

I can only suggest, Brinestone, that you...

1. Develop a niche (or several niches).
2. Develop experience in a related field so you can offer a fuller suite of creative services.
3. Network like heck.

I'm not very good at any of those -- but I'm lucky enough to have a job. Of course, I don't do as much writing as I thought I would be doing, but that's cool.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

quote:

Storm Saxon is right.

[The Wave]

I knew this day would come!

Ha! Ha! Ha! And they said I would never amount to anything. Fools!

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you know, there's anything and then there's anything.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Hey, we takes what we can gets.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
And a class in grammar was not one of those things?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

*Sues Rivka for sexual harassment*
rivka
Member # 4859

Grammar is sexual now? Awesome.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

You stalking me from thread to thread is.
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought rivka was stalking Scott?
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I wouldn't doubt it.
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Niches aren't always better, either.

I'm involved in the roleplaying game freelance writing industry, and the pay there is likely worse. So many writers, so little money to go around. Often contracts are worded so that writers don't see any money unless the work sees print, or they get 20% upon completion and the remaining 80% upon publication.

Sometimes companies will go under before making any payments, leaving writers totally in the lurch.

It's the same for freelance art, though established names can command a lot higher price.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I attended a panel on publishing when I was an undgergrad. This isn't the freelance writing, but the working in the industry that would publish the freelance writing.

One of the panelist made the following joke: "Publishing is a great field if your parents can afford to send you." *nervous laughter all around*

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by TheTick:
I thought rivka was stalking Scott?

Both of 'em.

But Stormy can have in on the fun too. Why not?

littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Grammar is sexual now? Awesome.

Well, more in some other languages than in English. But then, in those languages it always has been. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.