FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My husband's anniversary gift

Author Topic: My husband's anniversary gift
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
Today I made my hubby's anniversary present - a painting of a springhaas, one of his favorite animals. I hope you like it. I haven't tried to do flatwork in about ten years, so I was surprised that it came back to me with relative ease. It's not the greatest painting ever, but not bad for a decade of not painting!

http://www.yamoslair.com/pics/haaspaint01.jpg

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
What a cute animal!!
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

Springhaas are UNBELIEVABLY cute. Recently, we went down to Olympia to visit some folks who are breeding them. They're as common as squirrels in many parts of Africa, but because of the ban on importing African rodents a few years ago, they're extremely rare in the USA, which is too bad, because they make really ideal pets. And they're awesome zoo critters. They're usually very tame and like to interact with humans, so they make great "ambassador" animals. So, these friends of ours are trying to breed them for zoos.

Anyway, here are some pictures of our visit with Gizmo, one of the first baby springhaas born in non-zoo captivity. He'll be added to the USA Springhaas studbook when he's old enough and will make more baby 'haas for zoos to display. These breeders currently have two breeding pairs, and are searching for a female to pair with Gizmo when he's old enough.

Prepare for a cute attack.

http://yamo.livejournal.com/82789.html?mode=reply

In one of the pictures, he's sucking on his hand in his sleep, just like a human baby. Too adorable for words.

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Aww. That's adorable!!!
And a sloth too

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, how cute! He looks sort of like a cross between a giant gerbil and a guinea pig, or maybe some kind of otherworldly anime-esque creature. And such enormous eyes!

You said that one's a baby? How big are adults?

*contemplates adding a springhare/haas to list of Future Exotic Pets*

Your painting is great - I'm sure he'll love it!

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
Your painting is beautiful.

I had no idea that such a creature as a springhaas existed. It's adorable though!

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
The painting is great, but the creature itself kind of weirds me out. [Frown]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the real animal pictures... I just can't get it out of my head that he's a great big rodent. Something about the closup pictures of the eyes and the nose makes me squirm.

The painting, though, looks great.

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with kq and Theca. But my daughters just spent a couple of minutes going "Awwwwww" and "I want one soooo bad!!!!"

It's got cuteness, though.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
You are a gifted artist, Libbie.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

quote:
Originally posted by Nell Gwyn:

You said that one's a baby? How big are adults?

The adults are about the size of a large house cat. They're the fourth largest rodents in the world!
Libbie
Member # 9529

quote:
Originally posted by CaySedai:
I have to agree with kq and Theca. But my daughters just spent a couple of minutes going "Awwwwww" and "I want one soooo bad!!!!"

It's got cuteness, though.

Aww, you guys! Words cannot express how charming and endearing these guys were in person.

And they're definitely rodents...the breeders told me a story of how one of their breeding males leapt off the back of the couch during an evening "free-for-all" exercise session, and knocked out his front teeth. They had to feed him baby food for a few weeks, but then the teeth grew back, just like before! [ROFL]

Bonus edit: Their fur is SO SOFT. Almost as nice as a chinchilla's fur. Maybe more like a rabbit's.

Libbie
Member # 9529

quote:
Originally posted by Storm Saxon:
You are a gifted artist, Libbie.

Thanks! That is very kind of you.
Libbie
Member # 9529

By the way, if anybody wants to learn more about what it's like to live with a baby 'haas, here is Gizmo's web page: http://home.comcast.net/~rainyeeyore/gizmo.htm

You can watch his ears go from floppy to straight if you scroll down really fast!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.