FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » iTunes question (possible mayfly)

Author Topic: iTunes question (possible mayfly)
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going through my CDs, which are ripped at 128 kb/s, and gradually re-ripping them to 192 kb/s. When I got to the ones I downloaded from iTunes, I wanted to make sure this would be possible. I usually download the music, burn it to CD, then rip the CD to mp3 so that I can play it on my mp3-CD players. But I save the CDs and keep the files on the hard drive in the format in which they were downloaded.

The files themselves don't seem to reveal the bitrate in their details the way mp3 files do. I read some conflicting accounts online, and no official answers from Apple. Some people seem to say that iTunes upgraded from 128 to 192 a couple years ago. Other places say that there's a function in iTunes that allows you to choose what bitrate you want to download. I've never seen that, though, and the ratio of file size to track length seems to indicate that all the m4p files I've downloaded are 128 kb/s.

The questions I have, and have not been able to find difinitive answers to, are as follows:

• What bitrate do iTunes tracks download at?
  • Is there a way to change from 128 to 192 downloads?
  • If I have been downloading at 128, is the m4p format efficient enough that I can get a reasonable 192 mp3 rip out of it, or am I pretty much boned?

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment the gurus here have for me. [Smile]

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I have answers for you, but I don't think you'll like them... [Frown]

quote:
What bitrate do iTunes tracks download at?

128 kb/s AAC (m4p), which IIRC Apple claims sounds as good as 160 kb/s mp3. YMMV; I've found 128 kb/s AAC suitable for me most of the time, though when I'm ripping CDs I usually rip to 160 kb/s AAC.

quote:
Is there a way to change from 128 to 192 downloads?
No. iTunes audio is 128 kb/s AAC only.

quote:
If I have been downloading at 128, is the m4p format efficient enough that I can get a reasonable 192 mp3 rip out of it, or am I pretty much boned?
You're boned. There's no way to regain the data that was lost during the compression from a lossless format to 128 kb/s AAC. This is true of any lossy format, not just AAC. Once you compress, that additional data is gone for good. If you burn it to a CD and re-rip to a different format, you may well lose even more data in the transition.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
If you burn it to a CD and re-rip to a different format, you may well lose even more data in the transition.

Oh there's no may well about it.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baron Samedi:
I'm going through my CDs, which are ripped at 128 kb/s, and gradually re-ripping them to 192 kb/s. When I got to the ones I downloaded from iTunes, I wanted to make sure this would be possible. I usually download the music, burn it to CD, then rip the CD to mp3 so that I can play it on my mp3-CD players. But I save the CDs and keep the files on the hard drive in the format in which they were downloaded.

The files themselves don't seem to reveal the bitrate in their details the way mp3 files do. I read some conflicting accounts online, and no official answers from Apple. Some people seem to say that iTunes upgraded from 128 to 192 a couple years ago. Other places say that there's a function in iTunes that allows you to choose what bitrate you want to download. I've never seen that, though, and the ratio of file size to track length seems to indicate that all the m4p files I've downloaded are 128 kb/s.

The questions I have, and have not been able to find difinitive answers to, are as follows:

• What bitrate do iTunes tracks download at?
  • Is there a way to change from 128 to 192 downloads?
  • If I have been downloading at 128, is the m4p format efficient enough that I can get a reasonable 192 mp3 rip out of it, or am I pretty much boned?

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment the gurus here have for me. [Smile]

You can always download them, burn them to CD and then rerip them at 192? More work than you probably want but if your making back up cds any way might be a good thing to do?
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it because I'm partially deaf or can people really tell the difference between something at 128, 192 or higher?
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually yes. I knew a sound guy that could definitely do it and you can tell only because there is a little less distortion and the music really comes out better. Sounds odd but very true. [Smile]
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
I can tell the difference. I am also partially deaf, and I can tell. I ripped my CDs at 128 and realized they sounded a little muted, I ripped to 192 and was quite happy with the results so I didn't go higher.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is it because I'm partially deaf or can people really tell the difference between something at 128, 192 or higher?
I can tell the difference if I'm in my car or listening on my main system. From a boombox, not so much.

I know people who are far more aurally perceptive than I, so I doubt it's unusual.

For some reason, I hear the difference more on rock with heavy guitars, probably because I know the different parts of those songs better.

For example, Sunshine of Your Love has parts that just drop out at 128. So does Boston. GnR, too.

Edit: I just confirmed it with my 128k rip of "Sweet Child of Mine."

It's almost criminal what it does to the song.

Edit to the edit: It still rocks, though - the part after the long solo where the lead guitar is exactly backing the melody of the lead vocals is amazing.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by B34N:
You can always download them, burn them to CD and then rerip them at 192? More work than you probably want but if your making back up cds any way might be a good thing to do?

That's what I've been doing. I just didn't know how efficient the codec iTunes uses is.

I know there are some formats that claim to have better sound per bitrate than mp3. For example, wma claims that their 64kbs compressions sound as good as 128kbs mp3. I thought that maybe if this were true for the m4p format, I could burn a CD from a 128kbs iTunes download and re-rip it to a reasonable approximation of a 192kbs mp3. But apparently, from the responses here, it's not that good.

Anyway, the 128kbs rips I've made from the discs I've burned off iTunes downloads sound fine to me. But I'm not a super audiophile. Although since I've started my office job that consists of sitting down at a computer all day with a big pair of very nice headphones listening to music, I've been able to notice a lot more compression artifacts than I ever had before--hence the 128 => 192 upgrade project.

Fortunately I've only ever bought maybe 15 albums from iTunes, so if it really comes down to it I guess it won't break the bank to replace them to original CDs. It is, however, kind of annoying. But what can you do? At least I know better now, so I won't be getting my albums from there in the future.

By the way, I appreciate all the responses I've received so far. Thanks, Hatrack audiophiles. [Smile]

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
128k m4a/m4p approaches 192k mp3 in 'sound quality', but that's not the only issue. Each compression algorithm takes a different approach, so what the mp3 algorithm cuts out will be on top of what the m4a/m4p algorithm cut out.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.