FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I want some of whatever Sting's been smoking

Author Topic: I want some of whatever Sting's been smoking
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
After I heard the singles from his last album, Sacred Love, I didn't think there was anything Sting could do to make me less likely to buy his next album. Once again, I've been proven wrong.

Sting's new album came out last week, and it's a doosey. I guess he couldn't find anyone to donate any more screechy, faux-world music wailings he could sample this time, so instead he put out an entire disc of renaissance lute music.

Now don't get me wrong, I like John Dowland. I've got some of his stuff, performed by classically trained musicians, and it's quite nice. But this is Sting we're talking about. You know, the guy that made "Roxanne" and "If You Love Someone, Set Them Free". This is the guy that's trying his hand at early 17th century chamber music.

And in case you're prepared to give Sting the benefit of the doubt, or you think it can't possibly be as bad as it sounds, have a listen. Or go to iTunes, if that's your poison. Click on any of the speaker icons next to the track names to hear a 30 second sample. Make sure you check out "Fine Knacks for Ladies" to hear some all-Sting overdubbed four-part harmonies. And in case you think you've reached the limits of how pretentious he can be, check out "Ryght Honorable..."

Synchronicity was the first album I ever owned when I was 8 years old, and Sting remained one of my favorite musicians clear through my early college years. But when he lost it, he lost it big. I remember the day I saw him sell out. It was when he did a song with Brian Adams and Rod Stewart for that Three Musketeers movie. When I saw the video for that, I felt a great disturbance in the force. And true to the omen, he's never been the same since. Still, every time I think I can't lose any more respect for one of my former idols, he manages to dig a little deeper. He must be getting pointers from the Republicans.

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw/heard Sting doing a lute version of Fields of Gold on Studio 60 last night. It was pretty freaking excellent.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
He's been doing that guitar/lute thing with Fields of Gold for a while, and I have to admit that I do like the song, but otherwise I kind of concur with Baron about Sting. Synchronicity is probably one of the best rock albums ever, and Sting's first two or three cds were excellent, but then he just started wallowing in schmalz and the fire just died.

(Not that I agree with the article about when the fire died, of couse. [Wink] )

*sings*

Oh, the telephone is ringing
Is that my mother on the phone?
Oh, the telephone is ringing
Won't she leave me alone?

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch.

We love Sting at our house but I haven't heard his newest. You've kind of made me afraid [Angst] to even give it a shot.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
How does he not mention being the psycho killer in Dune?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I still love The Soul Cages, although I know others who don't care for it at all.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the music better from when he was with The Police.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Sting is one of my favorite artists, too. I usually don't follow any of the celebrity hoopla and entertainment news, so I haven't heard anything about him in a long time. In fact, I think I saw a 60 minutes story, about a year ago, featuring Sting.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh come on -- I heard a bit of the new CD on NPR. It's not that bad.

Although, the snippet of My Lord Willoughby's Welcome Home at the end of the segment was a wee bit disturbing . . .

Overall, it was intriguing. And who knows -- it might just be what gets some heretofore scorner of 17th c. chamber music interested in the "real" stuff. Neh?

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard excerpts of the Labyrinth album on the radio, along with an interview. While I enjoyed the lutenist, I really disliked the vocals. The voice was not a good match for the style. Kind of like Bob Dylan singing Verdi.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
"Donah hey-is requiEM, man!"
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
You've got that album, too?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
How does he not mention being the psycho killer in Dune?

So tempting to pull out the Feyd screen name, just for this...
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.