FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Have you seen it? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Have you seen it?
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Ick, I thought about using the third definition of canard to reply but it would've been pushing the funny (what little there was).

Top o' the page to ya.

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
quote:
Originally posted by TheTick:
I like the word canard.

It's a duck? Why a duck?
I like ducks in orange sauce. Or plum sauce.

*mouth waters*

I don't like duck at all. Too fatty.

-o-

Tick, can I be your new sidekick, Deadpan Man?

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

Are you willing to wear a frying pan on your head?
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Is that supposed to be funny? I don't get it.

((See? I'm doing my part already!))

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
I don't like duck at all. Too fatty.

Philistine. I almost never have it (both because of the fat and the price), but to dislike it? [No No]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Duck is yummy. Peking duck is to die for (and given the fat, probably to die from as well).
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Philistine?! I've never even been to the Middle East!
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
Duck is yummy. Peking duck is to die for (and given the fat, probably to die from as well).

But what a way to go!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

You're hired.

You have to hang out in the Sidekick's lounge when we go to the Comet Club, hope you don't mind.

jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh....this is the first opportunity I've had to reply to this thread, though I skimmed it yesterday and wanted to reply and now it's moved on to ducks and straightmen.

Onward...

I haven't been to the movies in ages, but we went to go see One Night With The King last weekend. Hubby loved it. My son had problems with the inconsistencies from the Book of Esther, but I can't complain because it spurred him to go back and re-read it to make sure he was right to be indignant. I thought it was visually lovely, but from an entertainment standpoint, too friggin' slow to start and too brief at the end to make much sense at all. Half the time I was confused and unsure what was going on, and most of that time I was irritated that I felt stupid for not having any idea what in the world the characters were talking about.

In other words, I'm not sorry I saw it, simply because I'm a costume junky and the costumes were very pretty. But other than that, it was about as good as the Left Behind movies.

(The VeggieTales version is more entertaining, though I admit it's not one of my favorites of theirs. My favorite is A Snoodle's Tale. Followed closely by Lord of the Beans, generally because I love the sporks.)

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I discussed the movie yesterday with two friends who went to see it together. One is Jewish, but father to the left than I: she said it was absolutely awful. The other, who is an extremely devout Catholic, gave it a 2 on a scale from 1-5. But she agreed with jeniwren that the costumes were great.
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Your hubby loved it, jeni? Wow. Why? Ask him, would you? My son's father took my recommendation that he really could wait - a long time - to see it. Unless he wanted to use my free popcorn coupon *grin*

I would have classed it in the B- grade of chick flicks and did tell my mom who has been working lots of OT to go see it just for kicks and giggles.

I did order the book it was based on from the local library. Maybe it'll give me some ideas for NaNo. [Evil Laugh]

You know, the story of Esther -- in my St. James Bible -- was always my favorite, but now I am really curious about the "rest of the story."

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
The actress who plays Esther had a major role in the Mormon drama film The Work and the Glory. I didn't care for her in that, so I'm pretty skeptical about the likelihood of my liking her as Esther.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

You won't. It was a pretty unrealistic mix of "smarts" and "flighty" . . . but hey -- for an afternoon matinee, to make the work blues go away, and gorge on popcorn, and get great Halloween costume ideas . . .
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Shan, I think he loved it because it was subject matter he found entertaining. He's not as critical as I am about that sort of thing...for me, it has to be done well to be entertaining. For him, the story itself, Biblically based -- loosely anyway, is enough.

In one sense, I agree with him. We got to go to a movie that was not a children's film, that nonetheless treated romance in a way that did not offend my sensibilities or values. That's a big plus when going to spend $20+.

I haven't yet decided if I liked the over the top set design. It was too Lord of the Rings-esque for me. So much so it distracted from the story. I spent time wondering if the architecture was remotely historically accurate. But I think the theory behind the set design was to bring in a distinct flavor of Elizabeth Taylor's Cleopatra and that genre of film. To attract just the audience it might have, had the story been better told.

My real disappointment was the discovery that I have a terrible crush on Gaius Baltar (who would have been better as Haman than the actor who plays both characters). And that he's a walking rug. [Smile]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

They really did a lot of shots reminiscent of "LOTR"ish style -- it was a bit distracting. Peter Jackson has certainly made his mark, no?

Well, if it's the subject matter that kept your husband interested, then I probably ought to tell my ex to go see it -- he must own every last biblically-based movie there is to own. *grin*

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.